The Well Trained Mind - first stage of the triumvirate

So, I’ve read the intro to the 3rd edition of The Well-Trained Mind (at 3am last night!).

I like what I’ve read so far but already have several questions:

-Would you equate the first part of the triumvirate learning approach to the bits of encyclopedic knowledge that Doman supports? In other words, would all those bits of knowledge cards and PowerPoint presentations and Little Reader displays be considered the right things to do in the “fact finding” phase that’s suggested for the most early years? How is it different, or do the approaches dovetail nicely? I found it a little confusing that a classical education is actually word-based, not picture-based (i.e. de-emphasizing video, images, etc. which is considered passive and less difficult than reading) - and yet, the authors do say that the most early years you are supposed to expose children to as many facts as possible, especially via pictures. So, I’m just looking for clarification.

-Is there any room in a classical education for learning economics and money management? How about activities to promote entrepreneurship or invention? I live near Silicon Valley and there is a definite culture of innovation and entrepreneurship

-Is this approach going to produce an academic that’ll only be prepared to be a teacher or professor? I’m concerned about my boy also being generally street smart and savvy in the modern world…

Any thoughts?
TIA

I read the book about a year ago. For your last two questions - of course those aren’t a problem! For the first question - the main message I got was that it’s hardest to take in things orally and then narrarate what you heard to someone else. Apparently, if you grab people just coming out of sermon or lecture, very few will actually be able to stand there and summarize everything the pastor/speaker said - even if they were actively trying to pay attention. And being able to have that skill can be pretty important in life - especially when talking/listening to others. So…there’s a lot of oral reading and narration in classical education. As far as the Doman facts - I think that does tie in very well with the knowledge stage! The knowledge stage means that kids don’t question the logic behind things very much when they’re young - they just soak up the info presented to them…so you should take advantage of it. Once their brain changes at whatever age, then they start asking deep questions, think about the logic, debate, etc. Some people question this thinking - they think kids will understand far better at any age if you always provide the logic/reasoning behind something - instead of just plain facts or memorization. But, I seriously doubt the Doman and Classical methods would ever say not to explain things! - they’re just doing extra things to take advantage of the brain’s ability to soak up knowledge.

mom2ross
i had a lot of the same questions when reading the book
i didn’t like how it only focused on subjects you could test
the arts were totally forgotten
to me having a well trained mind is more then just a SAT score
although there was a lot in the book i did like
are you following the program completely?
would love to hear how it’s working for you
tatianna