The Tripod Grip, handwriting

Hi all,

What is a tripod grip?

The pencil should be positioned so that there is equal pressure between the thumb, the side of the middle finger and the tip of the index finger. All fingers are bent slightly. This is called a “tripod grip” or “tripod pencil grasp”.

Explain the Reason

Some children respond well when they are given the reason for using the tripod grip:

The tripod grip allows a person to write more quickly and easily, while a tight or awkward grip can slow writing.

The tripod grip avoids physical problems to the hand and wrist.

Tips for Parents

Stress the tripod grip while you do the drawing and writing lesson together, but be patient. This is the only time of the day that you will remind them to hold their pencil correctly. It takes time to establish new habits.

What can you do to help your child naturally use the tripod grip? Instead of sitting at a table to draw, have the child draw and play with a fat crayon on a vertical surface — an easel, a large piece of paper taped to the wall, a wall-mounted white board (see white board crayons), or a chalkboard. We’ve found that a fat crayon works better than a felt-tip marker or pencil, so we highly recommend the use of crayon.

When should you check to see if your child uses the tripod pencil grip? When the child wants to learn to write their name, around the age of five. Some children naturally use the correct grip, others will need your gentle guidance.

one way to start utilizing muscles and developing coordination for tripod grip is with activities like play dough, sorting and lifting small buttons/pins and very useful is practicing with clothespins, this really works very well. These are some things which I know, i am sure there must be many more.

I wrote this as I felt that the information which you have given may prompt questions like: how can we achieve tripod grip?