"The Talent Code"

My book for this week was “The Talent Code,” by Daniel Coyle (again recommended on the “Can genius be learned?” thread). It was very good. I think it’s coming in as my second favorite, after “Mindset.” (I still have several more to get through, so relative rankings will probably change.) “Mindset” is about believing that practice can improve your ability; “The Talent Code” is about how to practice and how to get others to practice. It’s split into three sections: Deep Practice, Ignition, and Master Coaching.

Deep Practice
Throughout the book, he repeats and repeats: “Skill is myelin insulation that wraps neural circuits and that grows according to certain signals.” If you want to know the biology of it, read the book or one of the studies he cites; it’s fascinating! If not, just accept that there’s a biological process that goes on each time we repeat an act (fire a neural circuit) that makes it easier and easier to repeat the act the more we practice.

He offers Three Rules of Great Practice:

1. Chuck It Up - First absorb the whole thing, hopefully in a motivating way (watch a star playing your sport, listen to a professional musician play the song, etc), so that you want to imitate it. Then break it down into chunks and slow it way down for practice. He quotes a music teacher as saying, “If a passerby can recognize the song being played, it’s not being practiced correctly,” and a sports coach as saying, “It’s not how fast you can do it, it’s how slowly you can do it correctly.”
  2. Repeat It - Daily practice is important, but most people can’t practice at this level for more than an hour at a time, four hours a day, and many do it much less and are still great.
  3. Learn to Feel It - Practice concentrating until mistakes bother you a lot and you can feel when it’s right.

He talks about how anyone he saw doing deep practice had the same furrowed-brow expression on their faces. I tried following these rules for my daily five minutes of piano practice and found the same expression on my face! So it seems accurate. However, I haven’t thought yet how to apply this. I don’t think my 18 month old is ready to learn to do deep practice yet, other than encouraging her to keep trying when she fails. Maybe setting an example of deep practice would help. I also haven’t thought about how to apply this to parenting, like I did with “Talent is Overrated.” Any ideas?

Ignition
He talks a lot about “talent hotbeds,” places that churn out lots of talented youngsters at once. He found that they all give the same “primal cues” to the kids to get them to want to put in the effort required for deep practice:

1. You belong to a group.
  2. Your group is together in a strange and dangerous new world.
  3. That new world is shaped like a mountain, with the paradise of [goal] at the top.

So how can we apply that? Hopefully belonging to a family is enough of a group, especially for the little ones. I don’t really want to teach my baby that she’s in a dangerous world, though. Of course, that’s somewhat figurative. One of the examples was run-down sports and music centers; if it’s got all the luxuries, it tips off your subconscious that there’s no need to work. Still, I’m not moving to a run-down house and teaching my kid that learning is the only way out! I really don’t know. He also quotes the Tom Sawyer “painting the fence” example, where Tom convinces all the kids in the neighborhood that his chore of painting the fence is actually the coolest thing around and has to be done right, and if he judges that you’re good enough you can pay him for the privilege of painting it for him. Still not sure how it applies, though.

Master Coaching
He calls the master coaches in any field “talent whisperers.” They have “a vast, deep framework of knowledge which the apply to the steady, incremental work of growing skill circuits, which they ultimately do not control.” Sounds like as good a description of parenting as I’ve heard!

However, he also says that the first teacher need not be a world-renowned master. More important were a love for the child and a love for the subject, with enthusiasm and an expectation of progress. That sounds doable. :slight_smile:

He also mentions that some fields require a lot more moment to moment improvisation and so coaches focused on practice that would allow fluidity, while others require a scripted, precise action that had to be practiced over and over. The difference between a soccer game and a gymnastics floor routine, he says. So not all great practices look the same, but they have the same goal.

He goes into a lot of detail about the sports coach John Wooden. Some of his great coaching techniques included modeling the right way to do something, showing the wrong way, then remodeling the right way. He would set specific goals for each practice session and spend hours coming up with minute-by-minute plans (reminds me of some of the “Talent is Overrated” ideas). He used short, imperative statements to catch and fix errors at the moment they were made.

His summary of the things master coaches have in common:

1. The Matrix - a lot of task-specific knowledge that allows them to adapt their teaching for each student
  2. Perceptiveness - an ability to see what each person needs and how they’re responding, whether they ‘get it’
  3. The GPS Reflex - short, vivid, high-definition bursts of information, more than lots of praise or criticism: like this, like that, not like that, right.
  4. Theatrical Honesty - telling it how it is, but not in a way that makes them defensive; many of the coaches dressed or acted flamboyantly

So, those are my notes, but I really don’t know how to apply them to parenting. Music and sports are easy, but what about reading and math? Or just parenting in general? Any ideas?

Hehe I am full of ideas :slight_smile:
So deep Practice. The reality is children do this all the time. When they are doing something like playing, building with Lego, sorting objects by colour they are totally observed in it. They wouldn’t hear the fire alarm even. How to encourage it in the activity of your choice is a bit harder but not impossible. It is the brains natural reaction when provided with just the right stimulation, for learning that needs to be an activity that is interesting, challenging but not difficult. An activity that is only just above what the child can already do. Creating a relaxed, stress free environment whe the child can become fully engaged. For math that’s fairly easy, it is a very step by step dicipline. But for reading, with multiple pathways to learning it is Easier said than done! lol

Ignition or Talent Hotbeds. Well I havnt read it yet but this one I am not sure I fully agree with. My thoughts so far are that these hotbeds form due to the fact that a number of people congregate and practice together who are of fairly equal skill level but have the desire to improve. I shall give you a personal example. All three of my kids run. FAST. How can my 6 year old old be almost as fast as her older sister who wins her age races? They practice running together, she wants to beat her sister and tries harder. My son knows he is younger and probably shouldn’t be able to win and yet he is far far above the speed of his peers, even his friends a year older than him have no chance. So I was wondering how my oldest got to be so fast and assumed it was the 3 months of relaxed Doman running training I did with her at age 1. But I know she wouldn’t be as fast if there wasn’t someone else in her races who was almost equal to her speed. This girl actually beat her once, she was fitter and had energy enough for a final sprint. My daughter learnt from that experience. Now her times are faster, and she works on her fitness and wins. Without the competition both these girls would be slower, their times substantially faster than the group a year older. So hotbed yes but maybe for a different reason. Creating an environment for learning where the expectations are higher, along with quality education or practice could be all we need for success. If the kids think that it’s worthwhile to do mantal math and learn to read and that is the expectation you set then… Or if chess is played at a challenging level as a family event, trivia quizzes, non fiction reading, family speed tests… :yes:

The coach stuff was gold! The best coaches we have had the pleasure of working with were just like that, the results they achieved were fabulous. A good teacher is always worth more.
So in parenting the matrix, or depth of knowledge is our biggest challenge. I have personally saved a lot of learning time for my kids by using my skills as a teacher to know what they need next. My knowledge has been very useful. So I can never underestimate the depth of knowledge we should be aiming for. Read, study, use brillkids forum ask questions learn.
Perceptiveness is something we as parents are usually pretty tuned into. Phew! :biggrin:
Gps reflex short quick running comentry…sounds familiar to me. I know I do it. Finger on top, that one under, start at the top, down, up around, leave a space… :slight_smile: our best gym coaches would say something after every attempt, simple one at a time corrections and a comment if it improved each time. Our taekwondo coach does it too. It creates a pleasant learning environment and you don’t feel like you are making no progress and wasting time.
Finally theatrical Honesty. Arhhhh so now we have a name for my endless Eccentricity and bluntness! Excellent! Kids appreciate honesty and bluntness more than adults…perhaps that’s why I get along so much better with the kids at school than the teachers lol :wink:

General insights I got from reading the book/Answer to question of how to apply its concepts to math and reading:

1. Deep practice in reading and maths implies the deliberate practice model proposed by Ericsson. For example in reading, teach the child both phonics and sight words, (as Talent Code explains in its Epilogue). He says phonics implies deep practice, whole language implies ignition. Give one-on-one time to ensure the child masters the skill and ensure the child put in the hours.

2. In most cases, long hours of study may not convert to excellence, except it comes with the deliberate practice model. An older child/student may spend a lot of time faffing around in the name of studying without doing much work. That is a task-orientation rather than goal-orientation mentality. So, as master coach, ensure that the child puts in few efficient hours of deliberate practice in math/reading, which will then free up time for leisure.
    I found this very interesting article by Ericsson: ‘Why study time does not predict grade point average across college students: Implications of deliberate practice for academic performance’.
    Link: http://edianas.com/portfolio/proj_EricssonInterview/articles/2005_Plant_Ericsson_Hill_Asberg_reprint.pdf
    Explains that when it comes to studying, quality of study time is more important than number of study hours. Very interesting read.

3. As master coach, ensure the teaching is effective. Customise the lesson to the student. Know the student inside out so you can tailor the lessons accordingly (in other words, be perceptive, as he explains in the book).

4. Teach skills that will foster independence. For example, teach the child to read, so he/she can become independent of the teacher. And remember a quote in the book: `A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary.’

5. Be creative, just as those coaches were. Find creative ways of getting the material across, even if it means doing things unconventionally. Study the material so you understand it yourself, and then try to think ‘If I were this student, at this level, how would I want this material presented to me?’

6. And most times, you’ll have to be firm, as most of those coaches were. But kindness is very important; some of the coaches he described were just too firm to sound a bit cruel. In as much as one wants to be master coach, kind words, encouragement, patience, and especially LOVE, should be a part of the teaching process. The KIPP math teacher he described in the coaching chapter ( Chapter 9) sounded a bit too harsh for me. Being very stern one minute, and nice the other, is inconsistent behaviour, and that is what she seemed to exhibit. So I won’t model that coach. But the other coaches were good, though with weaknesses in their techniques though.

7. Get the child engaged in the work, the more the engagement, the greater the myelination, and the greater the ability to remember the learnt knowledge. (Recall the research he cited in Chapter 1 on how engagement generates greater memory capacity). Ask the child questions on what he has learnt immediately he’s learnt it. The research he cited in Chapter 1 showed that the tested students recalled more information than the untested students.

8 ) Then on ignition (alias motivation), introduce the child to role models (e.g., recall the story of the South Korea and Russian success stories due to one of their own winning coveted medals -Chapter 5).

1. Instil long-term commitment and a real love and passion for math and reading; so that the child will want to continue that on a long term basis (page 104). Let the child associate learning to good emotional feelings.

2. Learn from master coaches (page 166).

3. Provide lots of stimulation to grow the child’s myelin (ala the rat experiment) and encourage practice, as practice makes myelin.

These are some of the insights I gained while reading the book and hopefully answers on how to apply its concepts to math and reading. Any further thoughts or comments?

Thanks for your insights! I agree that the coaching chapter seemed the most applicable. I want to be a coach like that for my kids! That is one to reread and apply personally.

I loved the thought of deep practice being natural for kids; itt totally agrees with Montessori theories, and I love Montessori. So instead of trying to teach deep practice, I’ll look for it happening and protect it by not interrupting. Also, making sure my daughter has activities that are the right level of difficulty will encourage deep practice.

I like applying ignition to the more general forms, making it fun or providing role models or situations where it seems valuable. That is much more doable than creating an equivalent of the music and sport camps he outlines. Thank you both again for making those connections!

Oh coaching that way for our kids is much easier said than done. :frowning: I have caught myself three times already this week doing it wrong :unsure: As much as I am usually an upbeat, enthusiastic teacher most of the time, when I blow it, it always seems to be in the same areas/subjects. Well at least I can see where I need to improve!. :yes:

http://thetalentcode.com/2010/09/08/how-to-raise-a-prodigy-and-how-not-to/

I liked this guy’s blog post above, especially the part about Michael Phelps. So interesting!

Thank you for the link TmT!

From the article on why prodigies don’t wind up at the top of the heap when they’re adults:

To be blunt, I think it’s mostly the parents’ fault. The modern parental response to having a prodigy — which is well-meaning — has an unfortunate side-effect: it cuts the prodigies off from the humble, stepwise, self-motivated process that grew their skill in the first place.

I’ve lived through this personally with my brother. Long story short, kid lit up school basketball at 4th grade, scoring 45pts (in a 20 minute game) including game winner to win the league championship. And… that was the end of him.

I still remember when Phelps won Senior Nationals at age 15. Such an accomplishment was unheard of (women or girls do this sort of thing all the time, but not guys… pretty much NEVER). Good article. I think there’s a lot to be gleaned from these examples.