The Bilingual Edge - Book Review

I just finished reading The Bilingual Edge. It was a very informative book. You can read my review at my blog here.

http://teachingbabytoread.com/2012/03/07/book-review---the-bilingual-edge.aspx

Thank you Krista,

Children don't learn much language through television or other edutainment items - these should be thought of as supplemental.

I was saying the exact same thing in a post here last week and made people all upset! lol Maybe if you say it, and got it from a book, it will be taken more seriously. :blink:

For what it’s worth, the authors are both language experts with PHD’s. I find it interesting that they say that children older than 2 or 3 can learn from DVDs. I am not certain they are right. I think that if parents participate in the viewing of the dvds and they interact with the child, then it is a much more interactive experience. We are using Speekee right now and I keep pausing it and have the children repeat stuff and they like it. My daughter is trying to sing the songs throughout the day on her own.

I am married to a Spanish speaker and I have watched Spanish TV with him for years and I did not learn to speak from watching TV. I imagine that if that same time was spent interacting with someone who could communicate back I would be much better off. :unsure:

Many of my friends and I secretly admit to allowing our little ones to watch DVDs under the age of two. Now granted, I am an older mom now, with my three children between the ages of 11 and 23, but even ‘back then’ it was frowned upon to plunk little Junior in front of a TV while I ironed or cooked!

I do agree fully with Krista that interaction is the key to the success of any language learning - be it from a CD, a DVD, a book, a game, a fingerplay, and beyond. Young children will learn as long as human interaction is part of the process.

I keep that book (The Bilingual Edge) above my desk, and I travel with it to every workshop I conduct and keynote speech I deliver. I LOVE the message - that we can raise bilingual children even if we as the parent or teacher are not fully bilingual.