The best way to keep your kids protected in the internet

Hi guys,
I didn’t see any relevant topic about this problem so I decided to create a new one.
What methods do you use in order to keep your kids safe in the net. I have a problem concerning keeping control over my kids activity in the net. I heard about locating computer in a public room but I think that I need some software that will be able to control them when I am not at home.

Hope to see your suggestions

From my experience the best way is to talk to kids firstly, show them how to use the net etc. Then you can use the software as a guarantee that nothing bad is gonna happen. I was using the parental control PCWebControl to block inappropriate websites, it could do more things but I was using only this one.

I agree with Stroke on this one. It’s always best to talk to your children about internet safety so they are more aware about the possibilities and the dangers of using the internet unbridled. :thumbsup:

I would definitely recommend using a content filter - there are many content filters out there depending on your need, so I won’t be mentioning any particular one - but protection isn’t about installing a content filter and calling it a day. Like in your early education endeavors, be proactive on this too. This means you have to make a plan for all of your devices to be secure. This includes the PC, all your laptops, mobile devices and your tablets or iPads. Know all the possible access your child might have to the internet (your home, your parents’ home, a friends’ place) so you can plan mitigating risks.

For PCs, you can create restricted user accounts for your child. Keep the password to your administrator account secure and known only to you or adults around you. Make sure that you limit the ability to install new software on the restricted accounts, too. Children (and even some adults who are not tech-savvy) are notorious for downloading software which contains spyware and malware.

I think protecting a very young child in the internet should be much easier than, say, protecting a middle-schooler. Since the child is much older and is more capable, it will be a bit harder to restrict access, but helping your child understand the risks of being in social networks, trusting people they only meet through IM and public forums, and providing an environment for honest and open communication will help greatly in reducing risk. Peer pressure from school to be online on social media may play a factor in your child’s safety so if your child knows that they can talk to you when they are feeling pressure, it’ll be a great help to your family. :slight_smile:

We don’t have a content filter (yet). I am super strict about what the kids are and are not allowed to do online.
My 11 year old is allowed to do internet searches provided she carefully thinks about the combination of words she types into the search. She knows to shut the lid and call for help if anything comes up she doesn’t understand or is not supposed to see.
None of them are aloud to search youtube randomly. They can type in a specific search only and are not aloud to press any of the suggested videos that pop up after watching a movie without asking first.
My sensitive 8 year old is not aloud to search without me being present. I don’t need to look over her shoulder but I need to be there for support if she happens across something distressing. She just needs the support.
At 6 no searches are aloud without parental supervision.
The oldest is aloud to chat to certain friends but not FaceTime. I allow chat because all their conversations also come through my phone for monitoring. Yes they all know that, even her friends. I can’t monitor face time so I don’t allow it. Some of her friends have already had issues with strangers on FaceTime so we won’t be using it anytime soon.
Outside my home none of the kids can use any wifi, chat or internet or TV or computer games without consent .(except in school of course) yes they will call me from a birthday party to get the OK to watch a movie. :slight_smile:
I may seem strict to some but I am happy with this arrangement and so are the kids. They all understand how these measures keep them safe. Especially as they get older and see the issues their friends are having with Facebook, FaceTime and Internet searches that go wrong.
I assume as I give them more freedom I will need a filter to help them remain safe. When they are ready emotionally and socially to have full rain I will give it. My oldest is probably ready now but since she is happy with me holding her hand through it I I will keep doing so for as long as I can :slight_smile:

I used Netnanny, as well as a router I built that would monitor activity. Netnanny did 90% of the work, and was great.

Hi there,
You have raised a great question here and for that, I would like to appreciate your job. So as you asked to control your kid’s internet use I would suggest you use Qustodio and you will be able to block the sites which you don’t want that your kids can use it.