Testing Mom questions - ideas on how to make them into a game

Well, I finally joined testingmom.com and I am in the process of downloading and printing all the questions. However, now that I have them, I wondering how to use them in a fun way. Any suggestions on how to use them in a game-like format?

Ooohhh!
I want to hear everyone’s ideas as well as I have been printing off a few a day and making up games!
Our favorite so far is a scavenger hunt :yes:
I hide a few around the house with a sticky note folded inside an envelope. When she does the question (with me!) I give her the envelope with the next ‘destination’. She LOVES it and begs for it every day…it has become a reward lol

Aaagh - my post deleted - hate that!

I love the scavenger hunt idea, I’ll definitely have to try that.

I have been thinking of using the cards as part of a living room obstacle course where there is a card at the end of the tunnel…at the top of sofa mountain etc.

Are there any board games that could be modified to incorporate these questions? It has been so long since I played any that I am drawing a blank!

Update:

I have printed the pattern block puzzles, 92 in total, which I will bind into book format. I printed and laminated some of the pages to make the blocks (2 copies of pg 22, 2 copies of pg 26, and one copy of pg 41 and pg 44) - I think that will be enough blocks to complete each puzzle.

I am making them available at the kitchen table. Sophie is super excited about them as watching me make them has really built up the anticipation.

I am writing out the verbal questions onto multicoloured record cards, which again will be stored at the kitchen table.

I’ll post about this again soon with updates on how we are using the materials and on our progress.

We are just doing the questions at the computer so I don’t have to waste color ink, but the idea of color coded cards is brilliant. Might have to swipe that later! :slight_smile:

Oooh some great ideas, thank you!

So far my only approach has been the Cheerio method which I guess is a form of bribery but I have found encourages participation in all sorts of activities lol

I really like the idea of a treasure hunt - I will definitely try that. I may use it as an adaptation for the IQ fun park game which I have finally purchased!!

I have been around our grandchild for 10days getting to know her and cramming as much time with her as possible before we flew out.

This “testing” idea worked for us.

A small cardboard box of open letter envelopes. Each envelope is addressed “please play” on the front.
Each envelope has a colorful pattern or abstract illustration on the back where the opening is -just to look inviting (probably unnecessary.)

Inside is a simple sticky note with simple directions.

Some of the notes start with the name of a family member and others are nameless.
The message is always :-
"please play… "

For example …“row row row the boat”
make a train
sing me a song
read me a book
hide and seek
hunt for insects outside

You get the picture. The possibilities are endless.

Originally the idea had three goals : Firstly to try to engage a family member who is a daily visitor just before the evening meal. The visitor is a skeptic about early reading and learning.
Secondly for the toddler to introduce this person into her favorite activities, and lastly to free up her mother to be able to get on with making dinner.

The game was accepted right away by Chloe 21 months who gets it out herself, chooses an envelope randomly and reads it out loud.
It became such fun that none of us cared where it will lead. An even better goal don’t you think?

Can you open this link? http://www.testingmom.com/daily-email-questions/
Can you get these 100 questions for free? (I can.)

Thanks Fruke

Yes I can open the link above and I did get 150 questions for free.

I can see where we will be going…

Right away I can add some new sticky notes into the Please Play game.

When I said “we don’t care where it will lead” I really meant that it does not matter anymore if the family skeptic plays along.

The game and all the other suggestions are so valuable.
She is so keen to learn and have fun.
We do care a great deal.

I had no idea about testing to get into schools.

While I was on holiday with our grandchild I purchased some maths workbooks for the near future.
I only learned about workbooks from these threads on Brillkids.
The good shop was “Clever Kids” in Tauranga for anyone in NZ.
The owner used to be an Infant teacher.

I did not study all the questions; I just wanted to know the approach. In my region there is no such testing because there are no schools for gifted children.

There are many puzzle-type questions an many questions about politics. It seems that knowing presidents is a great deal in US. Here, we do not care so much about politicians; they change so often and become unpopular so soon. I do not teach my children about politics; I teach mostly about nature; nature does not change every few years :smiley:

But it is an interesting idea, to create a system of questions around certain milestones. It would be interesting to know if there are more such systems.

Doman recommends: reading, math, EK and no testing.
Testing mom recommends much talking and questioning.

Yes
Best not to test I reckon.

But if you can get away with it in the way of a genuinely fun game that doesn’t feel like a test even to the adult…
-Must also depend on the child’s personality.

Looking back 30 years, my first baby would have smelt a rat.
I could never trick her
She could see through me.
We are still on the same wavelength.

I think our grandchild is probably pretty extrovert at this stage and seems to like the spotlight (at the moment.)
She is also very good at saying,
"No more! "and using our names with this firm directive.
Sometimes she quietly signs finished
Both forms of communication we respect immediately because we know we are pushing the limits and do not want to derail any learning opportunity that she needs to make independently.

I love to watch her doing her own thing.
I try to guess what she is doing without her knowing I am looking.
Sometimes it is obvious and most times it is wonderfully mysterious.
The best stuff happens when we are not involved.

We had to laugh behind our hands when she pulled the sticky note pad out of a very low down microwave in our holiday rental.
There was circular scribble on it and she told one of us it was egg.

Now I’ve just remembered the testing can go both ways.
During a hide and seek game when it was Aunty"s turn to hide we got aunty to lie in the bath tub and lay towels over her.
Coming ready or not and off Chloe went to find Aunty.

I saw Chloe look at the bath tub and so did her mum.

I thought -we’ll she dosnt know those bumps are a person hiding.
That’s what you can expect from a baby

Chloe opened a tiny drawer in the hand basin saying"No"
And I thought wow she really is a baby as she can’t figure out this.

Then she pointed down the toilet and looked at us all with a huge grin.

Her mum knew all along that as soon as she entered the bathroom she had it sussed.
I was completely fooled,

seastar, the site offers so much variety of games.

Thankyou for the awsome link … :smiley: