terrible tummy pain

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: hello everyone… i had a terrible tummy ache this evening… everytime i got my first day of period i experience a painful tummy ache,i was thinkin is there a remedy for this. thanks~~ :mellow: :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

Hi Althea!

Everytime? You may have a possible case of menstrual cramps. There’s a lot of things you can do for this, the most common of which is to take Ibuprofen (a painkiller) but then again I wouldn’t recommend being too hasty on taking painkillers. :slight_smile:

Some doctors (like my sister) advise that alcohol should be avoided by women experiencing menstrual pain, because it depletes stores of certain nutrients and alters the metabolism of carbohydrates - which in turn can worsen muscle spasms. Alcohol also interferes with the liver’s ability to metabolize hormones. In theory, this might result in elevated estrogen levels, increased fluid and salt retention, and heavier menstrual flow.

There are also some vitamin supplements that might help you. The niacin form of vitamin B3 is effective in relieving menstrual cramps in some women. Calcium is also said to help prevent menstrual cramps by maintaining normal muscle tone. Muscles that are calcium-deficient tend to be hyperactive and therefore might be more likely to cramp. Like calcium, magnesium plays a role in controlling muscle tone and could be important in preventing menstrual cramps. And diets low in omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) have been associated with menstrual pain.

The general guidelines for a healthy diet apply to everyone; they include eating plenty of whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and avoiding saturated fats and commercial junk foods. This could help you deal with your cramps, or at least inject a healthier lifestyle for you. :slight_smile: