Tearing and Eating Books/Paper

My almost 1 year old baby loves to tear up books/magazines/papers into small pieces and eats them even when I’m reading to her. There are not many flaps left in her lift-the-flap books. She also chews her board books. Telling her “no” doesn’t work and she protests when I take the books away?

I think most babies do this and I’ve been told that it is a phase that will pass. Meanwhile, what can I do for damage control besides giving her fabric books?

hi cp

you can use hard paper books specially design for babies so she cant tear it out.

my daughter love her books she never tear out pages. now i give her thin paper books.

you can use fabric or rubber books too.

when your baby stars tearing ask her to stop and keep the book away . i think that way it can be stop

repitision is key if you say no and take the book away and then explain why you had to do so eventually she should stop. untill then rubber or fabric,

While I’m reading to my little one, I give him a plastic book to play with or give him the junk mail to ‘play’ with (this play includes ripping and putting the paper in his mouth). I have also gone to a bargin shop and pick up a few board books. They still go in the mouth, but I don’t mind as they aren’t the good books. Board books are also a good way to teach him how to turn pages, and after about 2 months of use the board books are still going strong.

Sophia is the same she loves to tear up paper, books anything really. I now read her board books with no flaps that she can not rip. I also put something in her hands so i can read to her!

my chid never tear up his books. he really love books, he enjoy turning the pages lol
i think he explores that way.if he is tearing the books i will give baby cloth books …

Hi my daughter was the same but i found that once i started flash cards and slideshows teaching her to read, she started taking more interest in the books. Now when i put her on the floor with her toys she will go straight to the books and sit there for ages just turning the pages and pointing at the pictures and words. I dont know if this is just a coincidence or not, maybe she has just gotten older, although she still puts everything else in her mouth.

I made her, her own books before when she was eating them, by laminating the pages and then tying the pages together with very short ribbon. I put words and pictures of familiar things on the pages before hand and she loved them.

Best of luck.

Also, I memorize the books (like Dr. Suess) and let him play with it while i recite it. For whatever reason, this helps, he is already in the phase where he wants to do things himself and he won’t let me hold a book, turn the pages and show him the words and pictures. He has to do it himself. I figure soon enough he will let me hold the book, and will look at the words/pictures as the words are already familiar to him.

my kids started out really rough on books but have become more careful and actually read them now-at 2/12 and 4 1/2

My 17 mo old twins have been very rough on books too. I wanted them to have access to books all the time but I also didn’t want to be following them around saying “no” all the time because too many no’s diminishes its importance. I bought a bunch of used board books that I don’t care if they get destroyed. Oversized, 10 by 14 inches, board books last much longer because they are too big to carry around and chew on; just make sure the binding looks durable. I also got them some fabric books, these work great for activities such as peek-a-boo flaps. Some of our favorites:
http://www.amazon.com/Plush-Cat-Wont-Eat-Bananas/dp/B000RX1NII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1238366880&sr=8-1 My kids love to move the Velcro banana from page to page.
http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Spot-Book-Eric-Hill/dp/0399242821/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238367111&sr=8-1 Peek-a-boo flaps! Very durable.
http://www.amazon.com/Squishy-Turtle-Friends-Cloth-Books/dp/0312491840/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b
We have most of the Roger Priddy cloth books, but squishy turtle is probably my favorite.