Teaching your child with diabilities to read. Good or Bad?

Hey everyone!
I’m curious to hear from people who have children with disabilities and have taught these special needs children to read, how has it changed there lives?
I’m curious about everyones experiences. Please share!

I have only been on this journey for a short time. My daughter with down syndrome is 27 months and we have been using the brillkids program for a few months, but I already see many benefits. Exposing my daughter to so much vocabulary has improved her speech she is speaking new words everyday. She has also learned others things such as her animal sounds and colors.

I believe that giving her a head start in these skills will set her up for even more sucess for the future.

Sandy

My daughter has more physical disabilities. But from our perspective it has given her the world. She has had to deal with so much in her life that she doesn’t need anything holding her back. It has given her such a boost of confidence that’s for sure. Even though we didn’t start teaching her until the age of 4, I am glad we did. Its one less hurdle for her to have to cross.

My daughter is 14 months w/ DS and at her last speech eval, her comprehension was scattered up to 31 months! I think teaching her to read has really helped with this even though shes not yet talking.

I have only wonderful things to say about teaching my dd to read. Even at just 4 years of age, it is already opening up doors for her. She has Down syndrome & although she doesn’t have “strong” features, she is still recognized as having DS quite often. People usually have a preconceived notion of what DS is like & often judge her before they get to know her. When they find out that she has been reading books since she was 3.5, it shatters a lot of stereotypes & allows them to learn that she is a unique individual & get to know her for who she really is.

At this point I don’t think my dd even realizes that it is unusual for kids her age to read, but once she gets to school & sees other kids just learning to read I’m sure it will be a great boost to her confidence. Even if she ends up being behind in some areas such as gross motor, she will have one area that she really excels beyond the other kids.

Another great thing about being able to read it helps her understand things. For example, at the pool, she can read the sign saying “pool closed” . It sure saves me a lot of fights when she can read the rules. :yes:

It helps her be more independent. She can read a simple kids menu & choose her own meal & make other decisions.

I think I could go on & on with this subject lol

I didn’t know about early learning when my son was very young. I did the normal involved and concerned parent stuff - Baby Einstein, Sesame Street, Gymboree classes, Art Class, Music Class, preschool, etc. I had him evaluated for early intervention services. They said he wasn’t delayed enough to merit services. I had him evaluated again in Pre-K and he was found to be 2 yrs behind in school readiness. Today at age 8, he is still struggling to catch up. It isn’t good for his self-esteem or peer relationships. I taught my daughter to read early. I started at 23 months and she was reading storybooks independently at 3 1/2 yrs old. My kids are 4 yrs apart. My 4 yr old daughter reads better than my 8 yr old son. It is heartbreaking to watch him struggle. I wish I had the opportunity to go back in time and teach him to read early. It would have made an incredible difference. It probably would have taken longer and been harder. Still I bet he would have been reading independently before kindergarten. Besides even if it didn’t work, then at least he would have had a good foundation of reading readiness skills. Also early reading is suppose to boost IQ. I really don’t see any downside. I think all kids with disabilities could benefit from early reading and learning.

Lori