Teaching to Read!?

Hi, My name is Christin, I am from Georgia, USA and I have just downloaded the Little Reader software. I keep seeing a infomercial on TV while getting ready for work about teaching your baby to read. I am interesting in trying this and if anyone has tips please send them my way. My son will be 3 years old on March 2nd.

Thanks!
Christin

Welcome Christin, I just posted my own “how I did it” story on this board. Maybe that will help.

Hi and welcome to the boards.

Have a look around the boards - there are a lot of parents on here teaching their babies and children to read so you will get a lot of information and tips. I imagine that the infomercial you saw was for Your Baby Can Read (YBCR) - I have never used this product myself, but there are a lot of people on here who have so you can get information about it on here also.

I have used Little Reader itself with a lot of success with my own daughter. For a three year old I would just start with whatever interests him the most.
Good luck and look forward to seeing you around the boards.

Thanks a bunch. I have learned so much already.

I think I will start to work on making labels for all the items around the house so he can see the spelling of words with the object.

Last night we did Little Reader. The animal one that comes with th Lite version and then I tried numbers, but he wasn’t having it. He wanted to do the animal one over and over. So I didn’t push and we did the animal one a few more times.

Hi and welcome to the forums. It’s great to have you here! Feel free to browse the forums and add to any discussions that interest you. I suggest you check out our early learning boards, in particular the reading board. You will find great tips and success stories, and you can ask questions if you want.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need any help getting around. We hope to hear more from you soon!

Nikki

That animal one seems to be a hit for everyone - my daughter has watched it in total 79 times since I started Little Reader with her about five months ago - she did move on and has watched many different ones since then but she still loves the animals. Maybe try downloading some different animal ones if that is his interest (wild animals, baby animals etc) or make your own ones with words he’ll like.

Do I just go to downloads and download the Power Point Files and play them like the regular power point?

It doesn’t have to go through the Little Reader program?

The ppt files can be played straight through powerpoint. Any cat files can be imported into Little Reader and played there.

Ohhhh, Ok! I was wondering what the .cat was for.

thanks for your help!

Do keep in mind, if you only have Lite, you cannot import LR files. You will only be able to play the ones that came with it and make your own. You can download the ppt presentations and play them with powerpoint.

Ok, I am going to see how my son does with the Lite and power point files. If he does well I plan on purchasing the full version.

It’s a great program! There are hundreds of downloads available. In the meantime, you can browse the forums an comment on some posts, and you will earn points that will get you a discount for Home Basic!

You can make word lists of just 5 words each (even without picture) and flash them to him fast couple times a day. Change after a week as by then he will know them (and find the ones he knows in a book,ha) :slight_smile: Are you familiar with Doman’s ideas?

It’s not surprising that your little one does not like the math dots. It’s very hard to hold their interest for long with just red dots. Do try out our Little Math, where you can show all sorts of different icons, including favorite cartoon characters!