Teaching to read with powerpoint - here is my template

For those who do not use LM, YBCR etc and who follow Doman. This is working for us already for 2 months! Please see my attached ppt file.

1. There are 6 words (10 were too many and 5 too few for my 7 months old). Show the slide show. It will stop at the first green slide.

2. In “slide sorter view”, change the order of slides. Just do some “drag and drop” with your mouse.

3. Take one light green slide and put it between the two dark green slides. By dragging and dropping. So you will know how many times this word set was shown. No need to remember or to make notes.

4. After 5 times (or 6 if you were lazy) it is time to retire old words. Words are numbered. Find one or two words with the lowest numbers and manually retype them with other words. Usually I write words which are important for this day. Today we have the first snow so I will write “snow”. Today we watched flying birds, I will write “fly”. In other days I take words from the lists below.

5. Change the numbers of new words so, that they have the highest numbers now. I just add 10. 35 → 45.

6. After some time I found that I forget which words were already used :smiley: . So, below there are slides with words, divided in categories. Categories are: family, body, room and bathroom, kitchen and eating, clothes, food, vegetables and fruits, outdoor, nature and plants, animals, toys and playing, actions, adjectives and colors.
    Every word belong to one of these categories. Taken words I move or write below the line. So I will know which words were used. I will write “snow” below the line in slide “outdoors”.

Titles of categories are large enough to be seen in slide sorter view. All slides can be seen in one screen. So the replacing of words is very easy and fast.

At the very beginning, you will need 9 more light green slides because the first word set must be shown 15 times.

You can find list of words in English in this discussion
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/daily-schedule-for-reading/
but that system did not work for us.

Your opinions, questions, recommendations? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
Earlier I used white slides between the words so I got pauses.

This looks really nice! My daughter’s too young to start, but I’ve been reading Doman and planning. I didn’t think making that many flashcards would be time-effective; a powerpoint makes more sense. But I do have a question: What size is your monitor screen? The six-month flashcards are supposed to be 6 inches by 22 inches, which is wider than anything but a widescreen TV. How big are the letters when you show them? Does your child seem to be able to see them just fine? I have a netbook, so my screen’s tiny, but I could hook it up to an average computer screen.

I think, physical flashcards are very OK, at least at the beginning, to get that feeling and to learn the system. Just try with few words :slight_smile:

We started at 4 months with math flashcards, printed black dots on A4.
I did not use PC because we were offline, in countryside.
Only at 7 months we started reading, so his visual pathways were already trained. We had widescreen TV connected to PC so everything was very large. Later we gave this TV away and now we have an ordinary screen (37x30 cm). I think, ordinary screen is OK if you write short words!

My son is enjoying the sessions.

I think nowadays almost nobody is using that strange size of paper recommended by Doman. Everyone is using A4 because then we can print. Your laptop is almost A4 :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Yeah, short words makes sense to me. They could still be 5 inches high and wide enough. I just couldn’t see cutting out strips of posterboard and writing words on them for months; I’d get burned out. I’m glad you think it’s not necessary. I guess I could hook it up to my regular TV if she doesn’t seem to be able to focus on the letter size; it’s not widescreen, but it’s probably big enough.

It’s good to know that other people have done this sucessfully without hours of posterboard-chopping.

:slight_smile:
write “Doman reading” in youtube and you will see that people are using A4 :slight_smile: