Teaching speed reading, instant success!

I decided to teach my oldest age 8 to speed read. Fortunately her school teacher was perfectly OK with the idea and my daughter was super excited about it.
So first I told her I thought it was a good idea for her to learn then explained just how fast Poppy used to speed read showing her by moving my finger under the text at about 1 second per page. this was enough to get her enthusiastic, she went strait to her room to devour her home reading homework…in record time! I would say just by discussing it she added 50-100 words per minute to her reading speed.
I tested her current speed to be at 110words per minute. I actually think it could be closer to 130 but the test showed 110. We used a book she would find fairly easy for the test. I didn’t want her getting stuck over a word.
Then I read this http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Stancliffe7.html
And followed lesson 1. She struggled to go fast enough. She was reading mostly at 3 seconds per page, the pages were about 120 words per page. Normally she reads books at 200 to 300 words per page but I read somewhere that speed reading should be done at a slightly easier level and this is what I found in our cupboard. :biggrin: Her comprehension was almost NIL to start with, but after the third try (at 3 minutes) she got a few names and a bit of the plot.
So we went on to the read a whole book in 5minutes or less. She picked “A Mermaids Tail” it is an Aussie Nibbles book ( highly recommend Aussie nibbles and Aussie bites BTW) it is definately too easy for her reading level but boy was I surprised with the results! She finished it in under 3 minutes. It does have some pictures which I will try to avoid next time but she proved that she wasn’t just looking at the pictures.

She read 800 words per minute with a full recount of the story!

:yes: We were doing a happy dance around the room! I would say her comprehension was about 80% she answered all the questions I asked but only had some of the detailed bits. Certainly enough to say she understood the plot. Probably as much as she normally gets from a slow read to be honest!
To say I am shocked would be an understatement. I expected to get these results in about 2 or 3 weeks! I absolutely and completely recommend teaching speed reading while your kids are young! As soon as they can read a short novel get started. We will continue, I will post more as we go. My next daughter is 6 she will be ready soon, I just need to go to the library and stock up on easy novels to get her started. I can see our library cards will get a workout, they need to practice for 15 minutes a day. That’s about 3-5 books at Natalyas CURRENT speed!

Speed reading, that sounds nice! But if you don’t mind my asking, how does it help children? What would my daughter gain from speed reading? I am very new to early learning so I still have lots of questions.

Wow that is amazing! I read at about 850-1000 words per minute. I am relatively fast. I can’t fathom an 8 year old reading that fast! Impressive!

The benefits of speed reading…oh loads!
Firstly, time. Obviously if it takes 5 minutes to read her homework for the week she then has a spare 2 hours to read something more to her taste, or do something else.
Quantity. Speed reading means being able to read lots more, learn more, read in depth further on a topic.
Quality. If she reads 100 books a month her reading ability improves much faster than the other children who manange 5-10 books a month.
School benefits. My daughter is a daydreamer. lol She spends far too much time in class looking out the window. Speed reading will get at least some of her work done faster. Also less time spent reading the question means more time to answer it.

Korale4KQ I am completely jealous! I have so much I want to read and so little free time to do it in. I read faster than average but my daughter is much faster than me now. Apparently it is much easier for kids under 12 to learn the skills. But I was quite surprised by the success.
She did really well again today. The book was harder she missed the plot but extracted heaps of details. Interesting. As yesterday she got the plot and less details. I assume with practice she will get the details and the plot in one read. But even if she reads every book twice she is still quicker than most! Lol

A quick update.
Today she read a new book from the library ( I carefully selected a heap of books I am sure she has never read before)
She read it at 2 seconds per page, she read it at 900words per minute with about 85-90% comprehension. She could actually tell me as much about it as she normally can after reading at normal speed, so that technically would be 100% comprehension but I am a stickler for accuracy :yes:
She is still happy to participate and is wrapped in the results. Oh and I don’t know why but she is just as fussy about picking a book for speed reading as she is forhernormal reading! I now only give her a choice from 5 books. She gets through 3 novels each 15 minute lesson easily.
Oh at 1 second per page she has almost no comprehension. She still needs 2 or 3 seconds per page to take it in.
Overall we are both pleased :biggrin: