Teaching Sight Words

Hello,

How and when should I introduce sight words?

All advice is welcomed.
:unsure:

The challenge with teaching many of the words is that they are boring. lol What I mean by that is you cannot attach a picture to many of them very easily like you can with other words/objects. The BrillKids story books do a great job of introducing them in context and through repetition in some books, such as I see a lion. I see a bear. I see a panda, etc. You can’t really read a story or even read a grammatically correct sentence without the “connecting” sight words.

http://www.mrsperkins.com/dolch.htm

I took these lists and made LR files broken up into sets of 10 and taught them that way.

Preschool Prep also offers “meet the sight words” 1, 2, & 3 which are great, we used those too. I really do love PP, BrillKids tops my list of excellent educational materials for young children but I adore their curriculum too and I’d say they come in second. :slight_smile: So, that is another way. When to introduce them? Whenever you feel like, I think I started around 14 months for DD1, earlier with DS2. http://www.preschoolprepco.com/h/s/sightwords-info.php

When to start? Now! Grab any list of top 100 sight words and slip them in anywhere you can in any way you can. you can slip them into a bunch of more interesting flash cards, you can write them on the tiles in the bath and shower with washable textas, you can write them in the sand at the beach. You can stick them on a wall and use a fly swat to catch them… Just do a few at a time until you think your kid knows them then go to the next couple.
We love Mrs Perkins for her games, great for slightly older kids 3 and up probably but a 2 year old could play some of then. Print and laminate, you only need a dice and a couple of game pieces.
You can just teach them in context but for fluency at a quicker rate some concentrated effort is a good idea. Just try not to bore the kids. Dr zuess books are very high in sight word count, some as high as 98% sight words! So read those with your finger running under the words from very young.

Thank you so much!