Teaching reading ideas

I would like to start a new topic about ideas for teaching words.
I found that sticky notes by accident. I was looking for something else in Office depot and found that cool sight words sticky notes package. This is very awesome idea for my baby to read new words or words he learned from sight word educational dvd. Eaton loves these sticky words. The package comes with other green blank sticky notes I’m using to write down only Polish words. And it’s a lot of fun for a baby to take it down from one place and put it in another. Now Eaton 17 months doesn’t misplaced them so much. He get used to them. And he always sees new words, like he is waiting for them every day. The website has other great ideas. The only thing is I need to figure out how to buy them online.

www.kid2020.com
http://www.3m.com/us/office/postit/kids/sight-word-notes.html

This is another idea from the well known website

http://www.childcareland.com/videos.html

Matching sight words is so much fun. Eaton is doing it very easy and know all of them. It just a reminder game for him. He also says them all each time he is matching words.

Martusia
thanks for those links, They give us good ideas.
Karma to you.

I see you vae Muzzy too. What languages are you playing to your kid, is it your native language or your husbands?
Sorry for going out of the topic but i was curious.

No problem,
I bought Muzzy for Spanish language as I don’t speak that language, neighter my husband. I speak Polish and I teach my baby that language, but in the house we speak English. I don’'t really recommend Muzzy for babies. Eaton is not interested in these dvd’s at all. I should sell it. :)The movie is too slow and doesn’t keep interest of my baby.
:slight_smile:

Yes you’rr right I will recomend starting from 2 1/2 or 3 years old. My grandson is 3 1/2 years and at first we watch the whole DVD (30 minutes). Now I only play 5 scenes at a time.
I have the one that comes with 5 languages (Spanich, english, french, italian, germany). But he keeps asking for SPANISH (our native language) and afterwards he accepts viewing the english one for me.
Today I stat for the first time looking into the DVD of interactive games that came with it and it helps in reinforrcing words and requires reading or someone to read to him, Yes it deffinitely is not for babies.
Maybe it would be good to keep it for when he is older.

Hi Martusia. Do all the files from the website need to be purchased, or are they some free ones?

2010 Bebes,
Yeah, it is good idea, I will keep these videos until he is older. Someone told me that they are for 4 or 5 years old kids.

http://www.childcareland.com/videos.html this website has tons of free stuff and the matching activity I suggested is one of them !

Great links, Martusia!

The post-its are probably a lot cheaper than the magnetic giant word box that I bought. :slight_smile:

We are enjoying the magnetic words a lot though and I would also recommend them…our boy can read a few words

About the other link, it looks interesting, but I am still so conflicted about using too many DVDs (i.e. TV) for teaching.

That DVD on Dolch Sight Words really looks catchy. The music has a lot of rhythm. I know my grandson could like those videos.

Dolch Sight Words are good for young babies because there is nothing more than showing flashcards. There is a good music and my baby likes it. But I also read review at Amazon of certain mam who bought that video for her 3 years old kid and he was not interested in watching it. Babies have absorbant mind without asking why? Older kids understand more and they want some story in the movie. But of course I generalize over here and each baby is different. But it’s a great extra tool to teach a baby sight words.

I wanted to share another reading idea I found REALLY works for my baby.
Word mats.
http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/keywords/mats.html I printed out a page with 200 words and laminated. The mat is always at the table under Eaton’s plate. He always point to some words and say it at loud. I’ve created many of these kind of mats. Some I bought with shapes or presidents of US.
But the word mat is the best!!!

this website is very good. thank you for shareing