Teaching Patterns- LR or Otherwise

I have read about the importance of teaching patterns (ABABABAB, ABCABCABC, ABACABACABAC, those type of patterns) but haven’t found a great way to teach them.

We are currently using our limited wooden shapes from our beginner’s tangram puzzles and lining them up on the floor. (circle, triangle, circle, triangle, circle, triangle)

Are there any LR files that help teach this (I looked and couldn’t find any) or other programs that I am not aware of? Thanks.

Literactive has a few activities - after you log in, select the section with the treasure chest.

What is the advantage of teaching patterns - I still haven’t understood the concept entirely.

I don’t remember all the details, but I do know that it’s very important and provides the beginning foundations for math.

While trying to look up a source to site, I found this project by accident. It’s neat, I will pick up some supplies next time I go shopping. Looks like fun.

http://www.teaching-tiny-tots.com/toddler-math-colored-pasta.html

Thanks. Makes sense. I still have to read a lot on the AB AB AB or ABC ABC ABC pattern thing. If and when you have a chance, would you point me to some sites?
Thanks again

LilyAndOwensMom, thanks for a great link!
That project looks fun!
So far I’ve been doing pattern activities using bear counters and chess, but this will be fun to do when my DD will get older!
Karma to you!

Richard Feynman’s father used blue and white floor tiles and laid them out in patterns, blue-white-blue-white or blue-white-white-blue-white-white to help his son to recognize visual rhythms.

The abacus files are a good source of visual patterns-current images increment by either 1 or 2 in either direction.

Chris.

You can use ANYTHING to do patterns - you don’t need to go out and buy a thing! If you take a look around your home you’ll find tonnes of stuff to use. Below are some ideas I’ve done…I hope that they will inspire your own ideas.

First: Explain what the “core” is (the part that repeats) and that the core must be repeated atleast three times before it is considered a pattern.

Some things I’ve done either with my own son or with my kgtn students:

• when you empty the dishwasher, have your child help with putting the cutlery away (fork, fork, spoon - repeat)
  • putting away toys can be fun, too…(fence, animal, fence, animal, fence, animal, etc)
  • before folding laundry let them make a long line on the carpet or couch (sock, sock, pants, shirt - repeat)
  • arrange their snack on a long cutting board or tray (cheese, berry, berry, cracker - repeat) , or, cut the cheese into triangles and serve them with circular or square crackers and lay them out in an order
  • music is GREAT for this (say the pattern while doing it) Your child could play the guitar while you play the triangle & drum (strum, ding, strum, bang - repeat)
  • body movement fun - make up a “follow me” game where you say (and do) an action. As you hop and stop say “hop, hop, stop” and then it’s their turn. You repeat “hop, hop, stop” as they do the actions. Use this same pattern a few times before letting them choose a series of actions to repeat.
  • of course, building blocks, beading, cut and pasting are all good standbys, too!

Thanks Kizudo, you have given me even better Ideas than those that were running in my head, I was thinking on similar lines. this is so very helpful.