Teaching Number sense, some tips..

I have been working hard in getting number sense to my son as I was not able to keep up with doman as I started late plus had many other technical problems the following days after introducing LM… anyways this is a great article i came across

Number Sense: Is your child being taught to hate math?
© 2008 Gwen Dewar, Ph.D., all rights reserved

In his excellent book, The Number Sense, neuropsychologist Stanislas Dehaene argues that kids go astray when teachers emphasize calculation over conceptual understanding.

Left to their own devices, kids discover strategies that make math meaningful. Unfortunately, however, kids are often taught that these strategies are wrong.

At least, that’s what happens in Western countries like the United States and France–countries where students spend a lot of time being drilled on the mechanics of calculation. Kids are chastised for counting on their fingers because this is somehow viewed as cheating. So are kids who use shortcut strategies to solve problems…

To view the article, please visit:
http://www.parentingscience.com/number-sense.html

[b][i]Post edited by an Administrator upon request of the article author.[/i][/b]

I didn’t start math yet, but I always thought was important to SHOW the quantities, and I believe it makes sense because my husband looks for a response easier to get to the more complex

Thanks for the information, Math was hard for me and my husband hopefully won’t be hard for my daughter…but I can tell since now she prefers letters than numbers… :blush:

Have you ever seen the Human Calculator? He can do math instantly. It is very impressive. He has some books that show you how you can teach your child to do instant math. They break the rules we traditionally learn but seem to be much more effective.