TEACHING MUSIC to our kids – Questions for YOU

Hi all!

We’ve been thinking a lot about the subject of teaching music recently. :slight_smile:

Apart from working on Little Musician (which we’re determined to get out within this year!), we’ve also been thinking about the whole concept of music education for babies and young children, and that got me wondering about how you all approach this topic and what are your thoughts on it.

Would really appreciate some feedback from you about the following (some questions probably overlap):

• How important do you think music education is, and why?
  • What are you currently doing with your child in terms of music education?
  • What instrument(s) is your child learning (or do you plan to let your child learn)?
  • What are the problems you face when teaching music (or an instrument)?

We would like to gather as much input as possible, so if you know of others who are interested in teaching music to their children (whether they are musicians or not), then please also encourage them to contribute to this discussion.

FYI, we’re also in the process of inviting experts in the field to contribute their thoughts on music education, so stay tuned! :slight_smile:

KL

I am just starting to teach my daughter music. I bought her a keyboard fr her birthday and once I give it to her we will start learning how to play it. She is turning 3. For now I am teaching her rythym by clapping our hands to songs we sing. After I give her the keyboard I am going to start by showing her all the c’s, ds… And so on. And how all the same letter notes sound similar even though they are higher or lower in pitch. Then start flashing notes one octave at a time. And play the note on the keyboard as I am flashing the card. So she can see what note it is and what it looks like written on the stave. After that I am going to go more into depth of teachng how to read music. I’m not too sure how to go about this yet : ) I am still learning myself. I checked out a few books from our library on how to play piano and read music. I found a good article on music education helping children in reading.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090316075843.htm
from the article: Several studies have reported positive associations between music education and increased abilities in non-musical (eg, linguistic, mathematical, and spatial) domains in children. The authors say there are similarities in the way that individuals interpret music and language and “because neural response to music is a widely distributed system within the brain…. it would not be unreasonable to expect that some processing networks for music and language behaviors, namely reading, located in both hemispheres of the brain would overlap.”

Hi KL

Dr Primo is a composer, so I do hope she can assist with this - she is so well positioned to assist you with answering these questions!

from what I observed.Ppl who has early music education seems to have clear mind and are more well planned in life.

Bought her a 1/32 size violin toy for her to "play " with. She doesnt really appreciate the violin much yet but I am hoping that she gets familiar with it and learn to respect this music instrument. Also , attending Kindermusik , which I feel is really wonderful and a good start in music appreciation. She is 22 months old and started singing quite some time ago.

• What instrument(s) is your child learning (or do you plan to let your child learn)? Violin

No idea, not started yet but I anticipate some lack of patience, and attention.

http://parentinglittler.blogspot.com

How important do you think music education is, and why?
I think it is quite important - now. Earlier on in my life I could take it or leave it (read - leave it). I didn’t “get it” unless it was explained mathematically to me - I could count and understand fractions so that’s what got me through manditory music classes in school! However, now I see it as a great gift to understand and create it. I see the joy and peace overcome musicians as they work and I want my son to have this knowledge to do the same, should he choose.

Music For Young Children, Classical Magic & private lessons - and whatever free powerpoints there are on here! We also frequently choose an instrument and google a performance on YouTube (his current love is the boys from “Nuttin but Strings”) Oh, and I take him to high school band festivals or private school P.R. performances - basically anywhere I can find (free) music played live.

• What instrument(s) is your child learning (or do you plan to let your child learn)?
    Violin this September, piano at some point, and later I hope he takes up a brass instrument - but of course, that will be lead by his own yearnings :slight_smile:

Zero knowledge on my own part and teachers willing to take a young child (I had to have special approval for him to join the youngest MYFC class last spring - and I finally found a non-Suzuki teacher to take him before he turns three - the Suzuki teachers REFUSE to start earlier than that)

Hi,

I think learning music is like learning another language with the benefit that it seems to improve math skills as well. Also it has a layer of learning how to express emotions using it as an outlet.

Anyhow, I enrolled my son in the Suzuki program when he was 3, he is 5 now, and started with violin and piano, but we are down to only piano for now. I love the method, and my 5 month old daughter gets the benefits as well as she is exposed to the class and practice at home.

Since he was a baby I exposed him to classical music, took him to concerts for kids or watch videos in youtube. Also we always had toy instruments so he could be familiar with different sounds etc.

To kizudo,

I can see why the Suzuki teachers would not take a kid younger than 3 years old:

The Suzuki method starts teaching kids to play an instrument, not general music but a formal instrument. The size of the child then it is very important since they have to be able to hold properly or sit properly in front of such instrument.

If you do violin:

• The instrument is very fragile and even a 3 year old is not very coordinated, the 1/32 violins are still pricey, if it breaks or if the bow breaks, to replace it can be frustrating for any parent. Besides, size in this instrument matters because the child needs to be able to have an arm long enough to reach the ‘neck’ of the violin and hold the strings, also the child needs to be able to hold the violin with his neck and learn to not let go.

• There is a lot of hand eye coordination required specifically for this instrument, both hands do 2 different things all the time. Even for 3 years old it takes a while to hear them playing something like the ‘twinkles’.

The classes usually are a one on one, so they can be pricey as well, and since they do not push the kid to perform at an specific level, if your child takes his time learning, the process might seem long for some parents until you see some fruits.

if you play piano:

-Same thing, the child needs to be able to reach the keynotes with both hands. Now they have very nice benches that go up and down.

-This instrument is much more kid friendly than violin, is hard to break :), no need for a lot of fine motor skills in the beginning, however they will be acquired. And as a parent, you will not have the same amount of stress while practicing at home since this is very important for teaching your child at home, it reflects much better and faster in the fruits or progress of your child. Teaching at home needs to be a happy experience.

We did for a year both instruments, and a lot of parents I know with 3 year olds switched to piano because of the reasons I gave above.
I am not a musician, but I am learning as well, and I had to take a semester in violin so I can understand better how my child feels with the instrument and how to approach him better, I loved violin but believe me it is not an easy instrument :).

I still would like him to go back to violin at some point, maybe in a year, but for now he is doing well at piano.

If you want to introduce your child to general music concepts I know there is Kindermusic for babies, etc. I am not familiar with that system, never attended a class, but I know you can start those as early as babies.

I am sticking to the Suzuki method and teaching my baby girl the same way.

HTH and sorry for the long email! :slight_smile:

FlashMom11,
thanks for sharing your experience with Suzuki method,
your post gave me a lot to think about :smiley:

I know my grandson loves music. He has a very good pitch and i do not know if this is so because he was born with it or from listening classical music before being born and since baby listening music all around the world (Wee Sing and other CDs in French and Italian).

There is an article that confirms that: ‘keeping a beat or staying on-key can be acquired skills’.
What is most interesting is what follows: The system is also being used to treat speech impediments and to help kids learn how to read
Read all at: hthttp://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2006/0202-singing_coach.htm

Here the answers and I hope it can help a little.

• How important do you think music education is, and why? I think it is very important specially for my grandson that is not pronouncing well and as the article mentions learning music can help him to speak more clearly. Also I definitely believe in a connection of music with math.
  • What are you currently doing with your child in terms of music education? We started with ‘Trebellina’, listening and singing children’s music and playing some notes on the keyboard since 2 years old.
  • What instrument(s) is your child learning (or do you plan to let your child learn)? Keyboard.
  • What are the problems you face when teaching music (or an instrument)? He wants to play by himself going up and down the keyboard note by note but is very difficult to follow instructions. I think he is not mature enough for taking clases so I am planning to take 1hr a week so that he can listen and perhaps will join to work with my teacher. I use to play accordeon at elementary school reading music and his father play by ear

Thanks for your insights, FlashMom11.

Just before my son turned two EVERYTHING in the house became a “bilin” (violin). I’m serious. EVERYTHING…a toy car, a tube, a stuffed bear… So, for his birthday, my parents-in-law bought him a 1/32 size violin. He was thrilled! It was only AFTER the purchase that I seriously looked into lessons and found that we’d have to wait so long for him to register. So…since so much money has been spent on the thing, we’re going to still give it a try.

Interestingly, the violin teacher that is willing to take him now said casually at the end of our interview “You know, his fingers and coordination may not be ready yet, but I believe that children can learn so much at a young, young age. He will pick up terms and learn about counting and keeping time…and even listening to another adult. Have you ever heard about Your Baby Can Read?” So, seeing as “she’s one of us” I’ve decided to give her a try…at least until next spring when we switch to an official Suzuki teacher. (By the way, the one we’ve hired for this fall was a Suzuki student, just not trained to be a Suzuki teacher…so, I don’t think we’ll encounter training that is too “off” from what the spring teacher will be doing.)

Thanks for your responses, everyone!!

Just curious, what musical background does each of you have (if any)?

My experience:

• As a child took a few months of piano lessons until my mom caved and let me quit.
  • Avoidance of all optional music classes in jr high and high school.
  • Final year of high school participated in a music (vocals) and drama group.
  • 2nd year of college auditioned for a public relations music group (vocals) and got in! (I think it was because I was the only sophmore to apply to this group!)…oh, and I attempted piano lessons again (failed horribly - you would have loved being at my recital!!!).
  • I also took voice lessons either my freshman or sophmore year.

side note: all the musical activity in college was because it was a very musical school and all the cool people were doing it :slight_smile: lol

I started learning the violin in Jan this year. Traditional method.

http://parentinglittler.blogspot.com

Hi,

My son has been allowed to touch, bang, pluck, scrape and whatever a variety of instruments since birth. We have let him play drums, piano, guitar, bass, violin, bongos, marraccas, eggs, recorders, harmonicas some others probably as well as toy instruments. We also expose him to homemade instruments and encourage him to make sounds in a variety of ways.

We have been teaching him to read music through flash cards and by typing notes into a music program soas the midi plays he can follow the cursor and read the music .

He watches technical demonstrations by leading musicians where they give example exercises and also watches creative pieces. He watches any gigs we can take kids to when we are playing and we try to expose him to music from all cultures and styles. Music and Television are run through good sound equipment to ensure he has good quality sound so he can hear more (depth, layers, tone etc).

Our aims have been and continue to be this:

1. Develop an ear for, and feel for, all the different sounds, tones, pitches etc that a variety of instruments can make.
  2. Develop creativity so he can be uninhibited in the manner in which these sounds are made.
  3. Develop a rounded musical taste and appreciation of quality playing.
  4. Develop pitch and rhythm and the reading of both for multiple instruments.
  5. A love of music.

It is our hope that he will self teach to a point with our guidance on the things we know then ask to learn one or more instruments more formally perhaps one day.

My husband is a professional drummer who started training at six, he played accompaniment for the local social dance class every week from when he was eight.

I started training in dance, circus and singing at one (my older sisters learned), at sixteen I taught myself guitar and piano and started composing, I later learned drums and violin. I have worked professionally in just about every entertainment industry and between shows I used to teach anything I knew to anyone who wanted to learn. I have recently written an acrobatics syllabus and have extensive experience in teaching babies, children and young adults of all ages.

I think you should track down a copy of Victor Wooten playing at Bass Day '98. Victor started learning Bass at 2 from his then 10 year old brother, who had taught himself how to play the guitar and was working the bass out from there. Victor is a brilliant technician but is also inspiring in his creativity.

Victor compares music to a language and he relates about his own ability to think “in Music”. It was an interesting insight into the positive aspects of learning music so young.

Looking forward to your music programs

I just barely saw this thread, so I’m jumping in now. This is a subject I’m rather passionate about. My music background is somewhat extensive as I got my degree in Vocal Performance. I have always planned on homeschooling, and music was always going to be a “core subject”, right along with the four 'R’s, (reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion). So I think that music is EXTREMELY important. My goal isn’t to turn my children into little Mozarts (although that would be really cool!), but to give them a solid background in music that can enrich their whole lives. Hungary has been very successful with their Kodaly method, and I use it a lot with my own children. To briefly summarize what we do, my son owns a violin (no formal lessons yet), we play with percussion instruments, we listen to classical music, I am teaching them to read rhythm, we have singing time almost every day, and I favor children’s books that I can sing (not just read) to my children, like nursery rhymes, or my son’s favorite, “Puff the Magic Dragon”.
I have written a few articles about our music program that can be seen here:

http://www.professional-mothering.com/music.html

Tamsyn,

Love your blog. I found out all I ever need to know about Suzuki violin from your blog.

Thanks.

First off, thanks for opening this thread. :slight_smile: I only got to see this now, but I hope it’s not too late to join in the topic.

I think it’s VERY important, specifically in my opinion because music plays such a big part of my own life. I used to be a musician by trade (guitar, singer and bass player) and even though I never had any formal training music, my love for music has made my life so much richer. I cannot imagine life without music, and I think it would be such a fantastic gift to give my child.

Early on, it was just exposure to all types of music. We used Baby Mozart when we could get them, but it was also just because we had music on most of the time. The music we play around the house was just something we all enjoyed. When my son turned 1, we found that he had an enthusiasm for singing [or humming] in tune to some of the songs we heard most often, and he also likes dancing with his little sister. I haven’t figured out a formal program for music just yet because some of the available ones are a little expensive or they seem a little to strict (where’s the fun!?)

Hopefully I can get my kids started on the piano. This is something I’ve never learned to play myself (know a few songs but don’t know enough to play off the bat) and I would love for my kids to have an opportunity to express themselves through the piano. It’s not as hard [in my opinion] as the violin and guitar where you need finger strength for the fret board, so I think my kids can start earlier on the keys.

Mostly just the time and the cost, although I admit that time is easy enough to set aside for a good program which I really think my kids would enjoy.

I would really LOVE to see what you guys have which could help us with our kids’ music education. Little Musician in the making? lol

hello all!
i just wanted to share with you what i learned from expert piano teacher Keith Snell. He has a series of books entitled piano town. you all might have seen them (they are all over). anyway, i asked him about the correct age to start piano, and he said 5 or 6. no earlier. i asked why, and he said that the hands are just not big enough to fit onto the keyboard to play properly. that is why suzuki starts the violin so early because they make small violins. i never really thought of hand size as being an obstacle before, but it makes sense. better to start with note flash cards/perfect pitch exercises to get them ready.
just wanted you all to know about that.
here is his website if you are interested
http://www.keithsnellpianist.com/

the doc :clown:

You are right Dr Primo, I think we have to wait for children until 5 to learn the piano nevertheless at 3 we can start music lessons.

I am planning to take my grandson next month to a ‘Music Workshop’ where they will start with flute and percussion instruments.
Today we bought a peruvian ‘cajon’ for me and a smaller for him.
Tomorrow we will start playing some rythms. We both enjoy music.

I agree with the age 5 limit only to a limited extent.

Felicity has been with Yamaha for a while now. Most of the kids in the class are 4 (some may have been late 3 when the year started), and from playing single notes in the beginning, they are now already playing 5-note scales and even chords now. Many of them are also playing some simple pieces with both hands.

Even before they started this year’s Junior Music Course, they were on the “Music Wonderland” course before this at age 3, and they had piano exposure by pressing certain bunch of notes in time to CD music (like 2 presses mimicking car horn toots at the appropriate time during the music).