Teaching during vacation?

We are just starting out to teach (ie. homeschooling) at home and I was wondering whether any/whom among us continue to teach during family getaway/vacations? We are leaving the country for a week and I am wondering if I should take curriculum along.

I understand this as different from learning - because they are learning all the time. I’m thinking about the work I’m to do/prepare and keep doing while on vacation… doesn’t that make it NOT a break?

:slight_smile:

Hey, what’s the situation now?

I wouldn’t take schoolwork with you, unless your child really likes school. You could, however, look at upcoming lessons and maybe do something related while you’re gone.

In History is/will your child be learning about, say, the civil war? Are you going to a city that was a hub for a part of the civil war? Hit a museum or building and learn about it more in depth.

Is your child studying life science (or whatever the study of rocks and minerals is called where you live) and you’re going to a place near a lake, stream or river? Have them collect a few (small) samples and identify the rocks when you get home.

Do they have fun stuff for kids? There is an old place about an hour south of me that was big during the mining days, and it’s now a museum with a cave to explore, but in the “gift shop”, you buy a bag of sand…take it out to a (man-made) waterfall, and using a screen, dump the sand in, little by little to sift it. The sand bags are divided by what’s in them. Some have various rocks, others have gemstones, some have fossils, and you can also by a “mixed” bag. Once the sand is “mined” the kids keep whatever they find, and they get an identification chart so - if they want - they can investigate those gems, fossils and/or rocks on their own later.

So, yeah, just read ahead in their books to see what they are, or will be, studying, then check the city’s website to see if there is an opportunity to do something related to their studies and make a little side trip during your vacation.

Even a water or amusement park can be educational. The angle of the slide/coaster vs. how fast one can go down it/average speed of the cars = science and math.

Going to a local roller or ice rink can be counted as P.E. if your state requires physical education of some sort. Etc.

Learning doesn’t have to mean a “boring museum” ALL the time. Think outside the box.

We tought our kid while we were traveling. So vacation or not it’s not that important. If you want to do extra schooling wwith your kid you just have to find the right approach

I agree with fanbrits. Teaching should not make the child a burden. Let them enjoy their vacation and at the same time, teach more funny activities like sports and games.

I’ve tried to take my curriculum on vacation with me and never used it. For me, the problem is not that the kids don’t want to, but that without my usual routine, it doesn’t happen. So I’d suggest considering your own tendencies. Will you be keeping a consistent bedtime hour and routine while you travel? Attempt to match eating habits and mealtimes to home? Then maybe you’re more likely to use the curriculum. If you’re more like me - bedtime becomes extremely flexible, you eat totally differently, nothing is consistent - then you might have more trouble keeping it up. This is not a firm rule, of course, but a suggestion. Maybe it will help you decide. It doesn’t matter in the long run if you decide to do your curriculum on vacation or not.

My son hates doing any school work on vacation. He believes he should be able to relax without doing any thing that relates to school.

I agree with fanbrits

I agree with fanbrits :3love: