Teaching art - any book recommendations

Hi all,
I’m just wondering whether anyone has read any good books on teaching children art? It is as much to inspire me as my toddler! I am somewhat directionless which is never great for my motivation setting up materials etc especially since it is a messy activity. From the brief google search I did I have discovered there is a ‘process’ orientated approach and a ‘product’ orientated approach. I’m more interested in process but I’m not the type to take anything to extremes so I am interested in any ideas people have to offer. I have always been pleased with the thoughtfulness of responses on this site!

This is the book you want

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-With-Children-Creative-Beginners/dp/0874778271

I have had quite a bit of time to play with teaching children to draw and do art and I am all for the process approach. But I believe a lot of poorer quality teachers mistake this to believe they shouldn’t teach skills or give guidance. Mona brooks manages to cover everything in her book in an acceptable way.
Older kids are interested in some product approach work but younger children are automatically drawn to process exploration as a way to explore their world.

I completely agree. There is only so far you can express yourself in art without skill as well as experimentation. Thanks for your suggestion. I will let you know what I think :slight_smile:

Hi.Just to let you know the I bought the Monart book. I had a little trouble understanding her strong emphasis on line and the beginning but once I got through to the shading section she explains this. It has given me some ideas to start with so thanks. I am going to read ‘Young at Art’ too for a different approach. It will be interesting to compare their ideas :slight_smile:

Yes I think it mentioned somewhere in the beginning to read ahead for a better understanding. We would love to hear what you think of the second books also.