Teaching algebra and beyond

I’ve done the domand math and LM however I want to teach algebra and higher levels of math, but I am not good enough to teach it. Is there a program out there to teach higher levels of math to young children or even toddlers (my son is 18 months) starting from where you leave off from LM?

Kumon is a good math program with high levels but I am not sure if it would suit a young child of 18 months. It may be adaptable though as it is very step by step. In it’s current form it is a written program with timed answers. All I am thinking is that perhaps you could build flashcards from it’s step by step lessons. Not cheap though. I hope others link you to one all ready to use because it would be disappointing to know there isn’t anything available commercially. Good luck.

Thanks for your impute I will look into it!

I know this is not geared towards toddlers or young children but I think khan academy http://www.khanacademy.org/ is the best place for you to have a look around and familiarize yourself with higher levels of maths and then perhaps you could create activities yourself that will hold your child’s level/interest particularly using PP presentations and collecting ideas from other websites and blogs. My 2 year old loves to watch a few clips off this great site. Just an idea!

Maybe look on the Doman website (gentlerevolution.com I think) I know they well pdf booklets for teaching higherlevels of math to babies/toddlers. It would be in their catalog (evans thomas Institute catalog), if you can’t find it you can always call, they are very helpful and might have some other suggestions.

Beestar is cool. DD has been using the Math regular and GT programs. The questions are all very good and DD finds the questions interesting and challenging and enjoy solving them. She is one of the top students in her class now. :slight_smile:
Lisa

Thanks for the website I will look at them also. I started with Doman and than I found LM so I did math the Doman way by the big flashcards until we were at 4 step equations. Now I just can’t find something to carry the math program to algebra and other areas of math that I can’t teach. Doman goes over the other things very well, but I don’'t feel like I can continue to teach him other things in math like I have up until this point. Did you run into the same problem?