teaching a child with mild cerebral palsy

I have a son with mild cerebral palsy which doesn’t affect him cognitively but does make it hard for him to write. Would any of the doman methods help him? I already have the teach your baby… book series on repatterning and was hoping this would be an easier way to implement his methods.
Does anyone else have a special needs child that this program has helped. Thank you for your imput.

It sounds like you are specifically talking about something to help fine motor skills? You could try Doman’s Physically Superb book they recommend some activities. If you want to help him with writing I know a lot of parents with children with mild disabilities have used Handwriting without tears. They use clay, etch a sketch type things and preformed parts of the letters that can be put together.

Thank you for your imput. We do use the HWT series. He is starting 2nd grade this year and I am hoping to give him any little assist I can. I was even thinking of doing the flashcard activities with him. My reasoning is that the more he can absorb easily the more time that is left for physical and occupational therapy exercises that require a lot of our time. Can this program work that way or is he too old for this?

I don’t think he is too old at all, and I think what you are saying makes perfect sense. My mom works with special needs kids. Most have CP or autism. It sounds like mentally your child does not struggle just some physical challenges. So by you presenting him the flash cards, reading aloud to him or asking him to respond to questions (in math, reading, etc…) verbally instead of in writing you allow him to progress faster in those areas then if he was held back by his motor impairments.

Thank you linzy.