teaching 2-3 languages

hi,
i have a general question that some of you who have gone through the same thing might be able to clarify.
i want my daughter(18 months) to speak, and read, in 3 languages. this shouldn’t be too difficult since i speak to her in russian, her father speaks to her in spanish and we live here in the states.
my question is, if i want to do the reading program in english, should i be speaking to her in english that entire time? i have stuck firmly to russian for now, so it would seem counter-intuitive. on the other hand, we have started going to gym classes, and i have realized that she understands no english at all, a hindrance too.
finally, if i want to present the brill reader and math, how would my daily schedule look? say, i start with english, then continue with flash cards in russian, spanish and then do math and this 3 times daily? plus the encyclopedic bit? that just sounds unrealistic. has anyone had any luck with something like this?

thanks a lot.
liza

I have no personal experience from this, but I have been reading alot about this. I highly reccommend doing only Russian and Spanish with her at home. In the states, English will come. It will come much sooner and much faster than you will realize.

One book, Growing up with 3 Languages, is an account of a woman and her husband raising their children to speak Chinese (Mom) French (Dad) and English, I have only read whats available on Google Books, but they opted to keep their oldest home from PreSchool to allow him to cement his French and Chinese because they knew that once he entered school English would over take everything else. With in a few months his English was as good as his peers.

Growing up with 3 Languages might be worth the investment since it is a situation you are currently living.

My understanding is that reading is fairly transferrable, once the mechanics of it are solidifed and understood, so focus only on Russian and Spanish while you have the chance. Let as much of her early learning be in her home languages because English will catch up when she enters school.

thanks for your reply. i have also always thought that english shouldn’t be a problem, but i have noticed that as her understanding grows, my daughter has become more shy around people, and i think that it is because she realizes that they are speaking a different language from ones she knows. usually, i just translate to her, but still, it doesn’t feel sufficient somehow. we have friends who have also just spoken russian to their kids, and it is somewhat sad to see this 5 year old at the playground where he has to ask his mom what the other kids are saying. there must be a better way.
thanks,
liza

lizaveta what language do you use to speak to your daughter when your husband is at home? Thanks

I don’t have much ‘scientific’ info on this subject, all I know is that my 2yr old son understands three languages spoken at home perfectly and as far as speaking, sometimes if he says something in one language and the person doesn’t respond, he says it in another language, but generally he’s mixing the three. My husband speaks to him almost exclusively in Spanish, I’m mixing my mother tongue and English and with my husband we speak Spanish or English. My dilemma is, in which language to start him on reading, since there are different phonics at play… For now we’re keeping up with all three, after all they are supposed to be ‘geniuses’, right?

I speak to my daughter in Russian, but sometimes when we’re together, I’ll use Spanish inadvertently. My husband doesn’t speak Russian, so sometimes it just happens. I don’t know how to teach reading though. For now, I’ve started with Russian only. It doesn’t look like my daughter is getting much at this point.

I think just speaking the languages consistantly is a wonderful start! Don’t worry about the English too much. If you want her to be able to communicate with her peers, perhaps set aside a couple of hours each week to teach the most important phrases, or better still, arrange playdates with English-speaking children. She will pick it up well enough. I have friends who were brought up in English and French at home and lived in Russia - they never spoke Russian at home, but their Russian is flawless. In fact, one of them is better in Russian than English!

My son’s father is Russian, but since he only comes to the UK every few months I am struggling to keep up the Russian and English as a single mum. Unfortunately, this means he gets very little Russian, since I am not fluent and we know no other Russian speakers. I usually manage only 1-2 short stories or poems each day and a little background music. I think I am made more reluctant because I know my grammar is horrible and I really don’t want his to be! Though maybe bad grammar is better than no Russian!

Thanks. Ezhik. Russian grammar is tough even for us native speakers! We have started going to a dance class with my daughter and now I am trying to repeat the words she hears there in english at home, so she’s not too lost. I am a bit concerned about her hearing me speak different languages, but it’s unavoidable, so it will do.

Please help :yes:
I am speaking to my baby in two languages. When we are alone I speak to her in english and when my husband or somebody with us I speak to her in our native language. So far it worked well as my husband went to work in the morning and came back home in the late afternoon. It was easy to switch from one language to another language. But now over Christmas he spent more time with us and I was confused when to use what language. Shoul I be using english when he is not in a room with us? And how about if he walks in and out? Shoul I be switching in between these languages? Very confusing I think.

Do you correct your child when you have "native time"and he/she speaks in english? For axample: my daughter says apple in english as in native language it is too difficult for her at this age - should I say in native “yes that is APPLE” ?

many thanks

I’m home with my son and always talk to him in Hungarian (he is 2). My husband talks only in English (we live in the US). Sometimes its difficult for me to use two languages. I usually just translate between my son and my husband if necessary. We also do the YBCR that helps him with English. Now he knows that sometimes I use English with him- when we read a book, watch the flash cards…but our language is still Hungarian, so we have the every day conversations only in Hungarian. I have to tell that at the beginning he didn’t want me to use English with himthan he realized that its just for a short period of time. I also use some English when we play in the playground and he wants to communicate with other kids. We’ve just started to watch Little Pim in Spanish- we will see what happens. So far he’s interested. And about reading: I’m also doing some Hung. flash cards with him and he has no problam. I think he 'd accepted that when we have English “lessons”, we use English, otherwise just Hung. We also do the Doman math (in English). Not easy to organize. I usually use meal times (in the highchair) for reading PPTs, its 2-3 times a day. Watch educational DVD in the morning and in the evenings. I’m planning to do the Spanish 2-3 times a week probably Mon, Wed, Fr.

Hi everyone,

I speak to my son in 3 languages and use ASL too, I just use a schedule so he doesn’t get confused (well, I hope so). So our week looks like this:

• mon+tue: English
  • wed+thu: French
  • fri+sat+sun: Arabic

ASL everyday, same signs for different languages. Also, I use exactly the same LR curriculum, I translate it in Arabic and French.

My so is still too young (4months) so difficult to tell if this works for him or not.

I am sorry to ask a silly ques but what is ASL ?

ASL is American Sign Language. You can find many posts in the forum talking about signing.

Thanks a lot for telling…
I am very happy to join this forum.
I learn so many things here.

Thanks

I made a LOOOT of search about early learning. This forum + website are the best in my opinion. Enjoy!