Teach your child to be physically superb

Hi all,

Has anyone followed Glenn Doman’s book on Teach your child to be physically superb? I think it’s excellent that he has published a book on physical development, as it’s too easy to focus on intellectual activities at the expense of emotional and physical development (thanks to the forum users who have provided information on developing emotional intelligence)

What have you used as a crawling track? The ASICS track sold by IAHP is too expensive to import into Australia and I don’t have a carpentry bone in my body.

Are there any other substitutes for Brachiation Ladders that people have tried?

Cheers

I liked the book too. I used it on my daughter when she was just born.
About crawling track, i too couldnt afford it, and i think the simplest thing i did for my daughter to help her crawl is that i put her on those carry away vinyl changing pad when she was very small, that helped her to push her body, i think i might have a video on it, but i need to check it. However when she outgrew the chaning pad I graudated putting her on the mat, as much possible, so she would just lie on her belly and cry and then push her self forward, this ways she started to walk with support when she was 6.5 months and independently i guess when she was 8 months…

But it was great challenge for me, as my child never liked to be placed on her belly.

But i never used a playpen, she was always on the floor 95% of the time, even during her nap time. I would put her on her bed only during the nights.

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-other-topics/how-to-teach-your-child-physical-superbness/

http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-other-topics/teaching-your-baby-to-be-physically-superb/

Please read through these posts. According to others, there are instructions in the back of the book for building your own crawling track. A couple members have posted how they did it. I don’t think it is that difficult.

Dear JudyMendes,
My girl also doesnt like to be in her belly. She cry everytime so that I have to pick her up. Could you share your experience about how you deal with that? Many thanks

There aren’t many babies who like tummy time. You have to let them spend time on their belly every day from birth. They will fuss, but they will eventually get used to it and like it if you are consistent. Get down on the floor with them and play; give them stimulating toys and mirrors to look at; sing to them and talk to them so they will follow your voice and know that you are right there with them.

My son hated it too, but he got used to it, and actually preferred to be on his stomach.

nhockday: Thanks for the links to the posts. I did look at making my own crawling track but I don’t have the equipment to actually make one up from scratch. In addition I have had quote for foam in my city and it’ll cost over $150 just in foam.

JudyMendes: thank-you for the suggestion of using the vinyl change pads. It would be great if you found a video to have a look at!! When your daughter was older what sort of mat did you use?

If anyone else has any substitutes they used for crawling tracks and brachiation ladders please share :slight_smile: Thanks again

Just curious… From what age is it safe to use the brachiation ladder or to simply hold them by their hands? tx

My daughter preferred to sleep on her belly, and it was difficult to get her sleeping on her back. Unfortunately I read this book too late and missed that part of her learning, but with the next one I have some camping roll-up thin beds I got from 2nd hand shops which could do instead of foam (wont be too bouncy). I will buy some black and white check vinyl from Bunnings to put over the top, and maybe some clear vinyl to put over the checks where I put up some bold patterns, so while crawling they are seeing stimulating things. It’s just a matter of getting DAD motivated to do this…

is it better for babies to sleep on tummy or back?
Is the brachiaton ladder like a monkey bar?

could I use a gym or yoga mat for tummy time incase I can’t get a crawling track?

I think one reason babies don’t like to be on their tummies 'cause they are bored just looking down and can’t see far ahead that way. I would prop my babies on their tummies a bit and get close to them. Looking at my face and later at toys got them used to the idea to where they started reaching forward. :slight_smile: Hope it helps
I don’t have the book, so maybe I am missing smth :blush:

I used a rolled up think towel under my daughters chest when she got fussy and was lying on her tummy - this helped raise her head up a bit and made it easier for her to look around. It also seemed to encourage her to try crawling - she crawled correctly for the first time the day she turned 6 months old.

You don’t have to leave your baby on her/his tummy for ages especially if they hate it - rather do a few short periods a day.

It is safer for babies to sleep on their backs - it decreases cot death by a very significant amount. I don’t think I’d risk putting my baby on its tummy to sleep - in my mind they are asleep anyway and therefore would not get the benefits that tummy time is supposed to give when they are awake (this is personal opinion and not supported by any research) I did put my daughter on her tummy a lot when she was awake and by 5.5 months of age she was rolling herself over and sleeping on her tummy by herself - I felt safer then and it was fine as she could roll back anyway.

I have a brachiation ladder and yes it is monkey bars. I had a local guy build it using the diagram in Glen Doman’s book. It was built with my 2 year old in mind. He has Down syndrome and the act of doing the monkey bars is supposed to I believe send more oxygen to the brain. So far he will hang from my fingers or a bar but he won’t hang from the monkey bars yet. This is fairly new for us so I will keep you posted when I have a bread through. My 5 year old is the one who really enjoys the monkey bars at the moment. They are also a big hit when his friends come over.

That’s a great idea - getting someone else to build the brachiation ladder for you. I’ll have to make a few phone calls … I wonder how expensive labour is in Australia.

Has anyone used yoga mats for crawling tracks?

I went to the reject shop and bought foam lettering all in the alphabet for $15, i think you can get yoga mats from target for a fairly cheap price to. I will ask Sue this week where they buy the equipment for gymbaroo they have “monkey bars” as part of the equipment.

Thanks for the tip re: foam lettering … what a great price :-). It’ll be interesting to see where gymbaroo get their equiment from. Are you able to find out where they get their mats covered in vinyl from too please? I went to Clark’s Rubber … and a 6 foot gym mat covered in vinyl was going to set me back over $160. I’ve also looked at smaller mats from online gym stores and they’re over $50 too. The foam from Clark’s was going to set me back over $100 when I gave them dimensions … crazy stuff!!

I have not read the book yet and I three books in line for my reading, but I would like to start with the crawling track ASAP. Could someone help me the basics? This way I can start before I get to the book. I have been putting my daughter for tummy time for about a month and a half twice a day. She hates it too, but she is doing longer periods of time.

Any tips will be very appreciated! :slight_smile:

Hi all
I liked the book but I would not do everything (not even half of it) as I think it is a little bit too extreme (i.e each activity, X times a day, everyday) Especially in the first few months when mothers are usually tired, it adds a little bit too much pressure in my opinion.
You can do a lot of tummy time without building an expensive crawling track.

I’ll start by saying i didn’t read the book & maybe there is something major i am missing, but with a lot of these specialized items, you can use MUCH cheaper substitutes. Like MOntessori stuff - i made a ton of it myself. The “crawling track” sounds to me like a nice not super soft mat - a yoga mat sounds like a perfect substitute! The monkey bars - i’s assume Doman has specific measurements for it, but i do not believe your baby will not get the benefit if the bars are slightly bigger or smaller - and there are plenty producers on the market that make good children play equipment or even just sports equipment, i’d check in the sports store
all the best to you, faithful wonderful parents!!! you are superb!

I don’t know if you will find this info useful -
but I remember from another forum that mothers make crawling tracks from doors of warderobe.