T.v for kids

it is ok if i let my son watch t.v i let him watch yo gabba gabba and he love it it’s the only show he reallt watches. i do feel guilty caues when im in school and inm trying to do work i put the t.v on for him to watch i want to make a educational video for him to watch. would it be a good idea to to let him watch the video while i do my school work

http://forum.brillkids.com/coffee-corner/do-you-allow-your-kids-to-watch-tv/
http://forum.brillkids.com/general-discussion-b5/article-from-dailymail-about-babies-watching-dvds-it-is-true-your-opinion-pls/
http://www.brillbaby.com/early-learning/watching-television.php

I suggest you read over these.

I agree nik!

anyways… tv is a good learning instrument for kids as long as you chose rightly the shows he is watching…

what about nursery rhymes on dvd?are they also harmful as the article on the above link suggested?

TV itself isn’t the problem, it is the CONTENT. It all depends on what content your child is watching. The typical ‘not-so-good’ content is the fast-paced heavy stimulus type of shows like those on Cartoon Network, in my opinion.

I would imagine that nursery rhymes would be good content.

:slight_smile:

I agree, i hate Cartoon Network. Nothing educational at all!

Cartoon teach our child some bad behaviors which we don’t want tech them. Its what I’ve seen from around me.

i too agreed. tv itself is not harmful but what we are showing is the thing. i use tv for showing educational vidios

thanks KL for clarifying, after reading the above link, i started to be skeptical on letting my son see the tv at all. :unsure:

I let my kids only watch educational videos like Sesame Street, a bit of Barney and I found these really great dvds called “Teach2Talk” and they help children with Autism. My kids are starting to like them now.

I’ve wondered about this. Since right-brain learning is about flashing pictures/words very fast, why can’t babies absorb the fast-paced images on TV?

I think that’s part of the problem; they do absorb it, and it’s nothing beneficial to them. They learn nothing good from it. It’s just a bunch of random images and sounds that don’t mean a thing.

You are right Nikki. The key is that what you see and hear must go together logically.

Dr. Robert Titzer talks about the 5 conditions that make a DVD helpful for babies:

5 conditions that make baby or toddler DVDs helpful

1. The DVD should be interactive, not passive.

2. The DVD should be multi-sensory. This means what babies see and hear on-screen must go together logically. In addition, babies and toddlers should be encouraged to say the words they hear, and do the physical actions they see. This multi-sensory approach is very important because many of the baby’s new brain connections go from the visual cortex to the auditory cortex. If what the baby would see and hear do not match, then parents should avoid showing that program to their baby. Many DVDs show visual images (related or random), while playing music or other sounds that do not go with those images. This means that new synapses will not join logically. (In those cases simply listen to the music without showing it on TV, if you want your child to hear those songs.)

3. The DVDs should actually teach children something of lasting value. Many baby videos have little content of any value, besides entertaining the baby while the parent is busy.

4. The DVDs should be designed to teach babies language skills in addition to teaching other topics. For instance, the DVD could teach babies about shapes, but at the same time there should be words spoken that describe the shapes. This will help the baby learn language skills. As mentioned repeatedly in this guide, research indicates that the “natural window” for language development is 3 months to 4 years. Certain popular baby DVDs have very little spoken or written language. If you are showing your baby a DVD that doesn’t use language, then you shouldn’t expect your baby to learn any language skills while watching the DVD. Believe it or not, one of the most popular series of baby DVDs uses very few spoken words. Some have zero spoken words, so the babies will learn zero language skills from watching those DVDs.

5. Watching the DVDs should be a better option than the others available for the parents. If a parent is caring for a baby alone, there are times when letting the baby watch an interactive, multi-sensory DVD that is teaching an important concept is much better than leaving the baby to sit alone while the parent is on the phone or computer, cooking, or otherwise not interacting with the baby.

http://www.teachyourbaby.com/5-conditions-that-make-baby-or-toddler-dvds-helpful/

Thanks for reposting that. I have it in one of the links I posted above, but I guess it gets lost in the mix.

I WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR COMMENTS
my son only really watches the show yo gabba gabba and he watchs the same 3 EP anyother show i put on he could care less about
i show him the flash cards with words and pictures he does not care for them but he love to hear music so i’m guessing that is the gateway to his learning