swim class for my six month old

This sat. my little one and I are starting out first mommy and me swim class. So i’m excited I hope it goes well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things i need to bring to our lesson and how to prevent water from getting in his ears or how to get it out. So I cant wait to hear all of your advice thanks in advance.

Hi, I hope you have an awesome time! My little girl and I have been swimming since she was about 2 months old. (There are pools everywhere, one of the perks of living in Florida!) Anyway I have never had a problem with water getting in her ears, it does get in her ears obviously, but she’s never had an ear infection. I just use a cotton ball and dry where I can reach in her ears when we get out. (Not a Q tip!)
As far as things to bring, I usually just take suit, dry clothes, a towel or 2, and an extra diaper. Depending on where we are though, she usually doens’t wear a diaper, we EC. But in lessons I guess you would have to. I know that most places require that you bring a full outfit that can get wet at some point in lessons, so that they can teach baby what is it like to fall in the water fully clothed, and be able to roll over and get to the side. I also bring a toy or 2 that float, but since it’s lessons you probably wouldn’t need that either. I haven’t been to lessons yet though, so not sure on that!
I can’t wait until we can go to swimming lessons. (One month to go!) We’re planning on doing private lessons, and I have a friend with a baby that is 5 days younger than mine and we’re probably going to go together.
But HAVE FUN! Hope your baby loves it! Let us know how it goes.

I am amazed to hear that there are classes for 6 month old. Where are you guys going? I wouldn’t think the local YMCA would have classes. I think priv lessons would be too expensive. Great for you guys! Hope you enjoy them.

The YMCA does have classes, at least here in Florida! They are done by a group called Safe Start, for drowning prevention. I used to live in Wisconsin though, and I’m pretty sure they had classes there too, so I would check there. You could also try a private instructor that does group classes. I hope you and your baby can find some classes, it’s so good for them!!!
(I actually went to swimming lessons when I was 2, and believe it or not, it’s one of my first memories, so I must have really liked it!)

Yhe YMCA does offer the class for mommy ame swim lessons but im going to the local community center that is offering the class for cheaper then the ymca check out your local guide for activities offered in your area like for example look up the city that you live in city of redford or city of clinton township on the web on the web it shoild be a guide of ativities or prorams offered in the area. ok good luck

I took my 10-month-old to lessons, and he didn’t get water in his ears – just his mouth, but they learn to hold their breath when they know they’re going under water.

He was the only baby in his class – all the rest were about 3 years old. But he learned to float and roll over, which is good.