Sun Guard Laundry Additive

So we really make an effort to eat and use organic materials when possible, and avoid those chemicals and additives when possible…pretty much impossible in today’s world, but you do what you can, right?

That being said, we live in TEXAS. We are all extremely sensitive to the sun, and really, everyone should be very careful. So we use a lot of sun hats, sun screen, protective gear, etc. In fact, I was just ordering Alex yet another SPF 50 shirt for the summer, when I came across this product…it is supposed to turn any clothing into SPF 30- protected. It costs about $1.50 US per box, and turns clothing washed (in washing machine!) into UVA and UVB protected clothing, for up to 20 washings. We bought some and washed a package of new t-shirts in it. Hubby took it to the lab and did indeed find that there are distinct differences before and after, although the equipment isn’t sensitive to get definitive or quantifiable results lol)

I have NO idea why this isn’t more readily advertised. It is made by RIT, whose products are commonly sold in supermarkets!

https://sunguardsunprotection.com/

Anyway, I just wanted to share so people can decide for themselves. We won’t be doing underclothes or anything :rolleyes: But specific clothes that are worn in the sun often? Definitely yes. Specifically did Alexs swimsuit cover up…

I am quite a skeptic, and was wary of the chemicals in it, but after corresponding with the company and reading a report by the FDA and an article in Scientific American, I decided to give it a try. BTW, the active ingredient is marketed as Ciba Tinosorb FD, which is used in all sorts of Rashguard clothing, among other things, and is extremely similar chemically to commercially available sunscreen

Cool! I wonder how SPF a tshirt is before? How much difference will it make? And to what material…can you SPF a cheesecloth cover up? Pretty useful in Australia if it works. I am thinking school uniforms and cloth hats as well as those favourite t shirts.

MandaB-
The company swears you can use it with any fabrics, although they must be laundered in it (as opposed to sprayed on). As far as what the starting SPF is? Definitely depends on the fabric, material, color, and thickness, etc.
As far as all of the potential uses? You can see for yourself as I tucked a couple of small boxes to try in a package headed your direction :yes:

Did I mention lately how much I LOVE you! :biggrin: I can’t wait to play with all the goodies you are sending me!
Tiana broke the glass plate in the microwave yesterday, I need to get that replaced ASAP ready for our soap experiment! :yes:

Oh, this is great! Karma to you Keri :slight_smile:
Because of a skin cancer history in our family I am always stressed when it gets very hot in summer. I am going to search for that product straight away :yes: