Suggestions please on nursery rymes

My daughter who is now 12 months old loves listening to nursery rhymes. She clearly shows her likes and dislikes of her songs. If she doesn’t like a particular song, she will point to ask us to forward it.

My problem at present is that she doesn’t like lots of the new songs that I introduce to her. She would only listen to her favourites. However, she gets bored of her favourites too. So, I am running out of songs that she likes.

I tried to delete 3 songs after 1 week and add in another new 3 songs, she still ask me to skip the new one…

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards

Some idea to try that work well for my kids ( all 27 of them)
Play the new nursery rhyme on uTube the first few times so it has visuals to entice interest. If that doesn’t work try the opposite and read them from a book first a few times before playing them on the cd.
Finger puppets make nursery rhymes far more interesting. Even just learning some actions using hands and body parts will help.
Play them while colouring a colouring in sheet of that same rhyme. The old lady who lived in a shoe is much more interesting with a giant shoe picture!
Play them in multiple languages. We have heads shoulders knees and toes in a few languages and my kids love to sing them all.
Try more complicated songs at times. My kindergarten class got bored with the songs we were singing so I thought them “on top of spaghetti” yep ALL the verses. We also learnt “them bones” and some limericks/riddles too.
Some less popular nursery rhymes to look up
Jack and Jill
London bridge
Old mother Hubbard
Old king cole
Little Peter rabbit
Three blind mice
Polly put the kettle on
12345 once I caught a fish alive
Row row row your boat

Try Nursery Rhymes by Readeez!! They are great and visual.

Hi Mandabplus3 and Skylark,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Mandabplus3, very creative in your methods of teaching nursery rhymes! Would certainly try them.

Just wonder how do you introduce colouring to a 12 months old? Any tips?

My daughter does enjoy the nursery thymes in different languages (of the one that she likes only) as we are bilingual.

When I mention playing the songs ( I mean playing the video on computer with visual). She points to the computer that we play the video for her first thing in the morning. She will ask at least 2 - 3 times a day to watch and listen to her rhymes…

She doesn’t mind new nursery rhymes playing in the background whilst she plays though but will resist if she watches them.

Skylark, I have tried few Readeez videos with her after your suggestion but she doesn’t seem to like it at present. Perhaps at a later stage…

try super simple learning. my 16 month old girl loves them! they have some nursery songs available on youtube.

Yes I agree with mrsmlow Super Simple Learning has a lot of songs/videos you can pick from on youtube (free). Alot of the songs have dances to them. So if shes not into them now she may be into them a little later. Check out there website you may find some things on there you both may like.

Colouring in with a 12 month old involves patience, no expectations and crayons. Gt large paper to cover the area and one picture to colour that has only a few bits to it. (Humpty dumpty and a wall?) you point to the bits in the picture and name them. Oh here is humpty s wall lets colour it red. Hand the red crayon to you child and guide them to colour the wall area. They will have no control to start with and you may need to blue tack the page down. If you both work together you can model scribbling LOTS of colour over an area. If you colour every day or so you will be amazed at how quickly they can develop control. Children between ages 1-2 usually develop an interest in colouring or mark making. S it will happen soon…

I mentioned storyboards in another thread as a fun aid to storytelling, and to encourage children to make of and tell stories of their own, but it definitely applies here as well!

If you aren’t familiar with the idea, you use a felt backdrop. Really just a large piece of felt glued to wood, and I know that a fleece blanket works in a pinch:)

I bought a big set of felt nursery rhyme characters such as the one I am pasting below, but you can also find free templates all over the web that require printing and adhering to a piece of felt backing.
You then can use the felt nurseryrhyme characters to act out the nursery rhyme, move them whilst singing the nursery rhyme, or similar. Our library story time does this every week for a different rhyme, and it is always a bit hit, usually with a child chosen to get to ‘move’ the characters accordingly.

Here is a largish set that includes a huge variety for various nursery rhymes, and these can be used for story telling later, narration practice, and more:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007R6WDS2/ref=pd_aw_sbs_8?pi=SL500_SS115

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Appreciate them.

My daughter does like the puppets. Instead of a feltboard, I have ‘tape’ the characters with blue tac to popsicle sticks and move them… She likes them.

However, I still have problem whilst she watches the screen. She resists to new nursery rhymes or songs and gets bored of the old one pretty quickly. She used to like muffin songs, kidstv123…But now, I can only play few songs from the lists(less than 10), and the rest I have to skip and skip…

After playing the list, she would ask for more. When I play her new songs, she doesn’t like them. She then will start crying if she is not in her best mood. I have to go through the same thing 2 - 3 times a day. Any suggestions would be of great help.

I have tried the super simple learning. she also doesn’t like them at present…

How about giving a try on searching from YouTube nursery rhymes together with the little one so may be your little one will look into the songs which she likes most.

and another idea is how about trying some cartoon songs.there are some nice cartoon songs that your baby may be interested in. :smiley:

I hope this help a little.

i would try to get some links to help you out later if i get time :smiley:

Have a nice day :smiley: