Successful Experiences in Early, Accelerated Math

Let’s put our heads together to reverse engineer success in early, accelerated math. Have you seen a math prodigy on Youtube? Wouldn’t you love to pick their parents’ brain? Let’s invite them to this thread and have a discussion about their overall experience and outcomes. A basic outline of curriculum used, at what age, if they attended a traditional public/private school and how it impacted their school experience, what they would repeat and what they would do differently, etc. Hopefully we can find the commonalities and come up with a few great recipes to recreate with our own kids.

We have some very talented junior mathematicians in our midst already (Ella, Cammie, and Mandy’s child in college at 8 come to mind offhand) and their parents’ input would be much appreciated, too, in addition to reaching out to non-BK members. :slight_smile:

I’m so glad that you started this thread TMT! (Long time, no ‘see’ by the way! How are Owen and Lilly?)

I’ve been really researching math a lot and am actually in the process of trying to parse a bunch of information!
I was actually planning to reach out to a user on YouTube who’s son Toby does some pretty advanced arithmetic at 3yo, 4yo and 5. There are a few videos of his dad doing EL-esque type activities with him, but you can tell that he’s a little boy who loves to play with math and whose dad is definitely engaged.

I have been meaning to reach out to him for a while, but it had been a while since he’d posted anything until last week! :).

I have found this one site/channel to be Early Learning At Home to be immensely helpful in general and she includes a lot of EL lessons and activities, though perhaps a little more traditional than the BK EL movement. Still, beautiful materials, inspirational lessons.

There is a user on YouTube who I am about 99% certain was using Jones Genuises with kids in a tutoring program, you can see short clips of kids at 3, 5 and 7 doing math/reading and if you watch the kids do their math, then you can see them tapping points on some of their math papers. Their reading videos show that the kids learned to read via Direct Instruction and using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. They haven’t posted anything in recent years though, sadly :(. Perhaps we could get him to come and talk to us about his experience using the program if we wrote to him.

Also, I have been watching many, many, many videos on Montessori PreK and K education and I really like this demo of the Montessori math curriculum used in LePort Schools and this one by another Montessori school.

good post. I’m following as I am looking to teach my lo accelerated math.

Very interested in this thread! I will be subscribing :slight_smile: TmT, I remember you introducing your children to soroban – how’s that going?

We had a lot of progress while my daughter was attending classes. We ended up moving to a location where we did not have access to classes and progress came to a screeching halt. Now, we have since moved again and we just took her to a trial class- she will be starting lessons again in January.