successes or failures with doman reading

did anyones babies actually figure out phonics by showing flashcards as with doman. are they able to read words they have not seen before???

i will be starting with my >6month old baby. i am curious to know where your babies stand. offcourse, the goal is that she reads words that she has not seen before.

if you had to start phonics to get him/her to that ability, was that difficult? did they refuse to sound out words or take longer.

how long does it take to finish the doman reading program. i guess depending on how sooner you get done and if the kid is talking at that time then you can start phonics. assuming the sooner you start, the sooner they will adapt.

i have been debating to start the doman reading b/c i don’t want her to memorize words. but when i think abt it she is only 6 months so i will help her build her vocabulary at least by showing things repetitively. right now i talk to her but babies learn by repetition.

thanks everyone!!! good luck! it makes me soo happy to see and learn from soo many great parents.

Yes, phonics is very important, and a child must learn it sooner rather than later. However, that doesn’t mean that whole-word reading has no place. We discussed this issue here:

http://www.brillbaby.com/teach-baby/reading-whole-language-phonics.php

btw, many children intuit phonics rules themselves, picking up word patterns just like they pick up speech patterns. The question is how easy you make it for them to pick up the rules, which is why we designed our Pattern Phonics system in Little Reader to do that.