success stories

Hi, my name is Autumn. I am new here. But we use the Glenn Doman method. I’ve been at it for a little over a year now, but I was very inconsistant in the begining! My girls are 4 and almost 2. And both love the reading, so far we are into short sentences. We recently just started using the computer to teach them. Our computer didn’t have power point presentation, and we never really wanted to spen money on the software. Anyways, I was just wondering how other parents are teaching their little ones to read? Success stories are always very motivating!!!

Thanks,
Autumn

Hi Autumn, welcome!

Here’s one of my favorite stories:
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/teaching-rachel-to-read-during-hurricane-katrina/

Here are many more:
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-to-read/teaching-your-child-to-read-share-your-experience!/

You can also find testimonials for Little Reader here:
http://forum.brillkids.com/little-reader/brillkids-survey-claim-your-testimonials!/
(note we will have Little Reader LITE (free) probably this week!)

[quote author= Our computer didn’t have power point presentation, and we never really wanted to spen money on the software. Anyways, I was just wondering how other parents are teaching their little ones to read? Success stories are always very motivating!!!

Thanks,
Autumn
[/quote]
I just wanted to tell you, I think you can use google if you don’t have powerpoint, not sure how it works though.
I saw this on another website:

I have a Google email account - I don’t know if you need one for this
to work. Below is how I did it:

Go to the regular Google homepage.

At the top left it says ‘web’.

Click on ‘more’

Click on ‘more’

Click on ‘presentations’

I’m just getting started so I don’t have a success story yet, but I too am VERY motivated by success stories.

Hi Autumn,
I am having trouble with the doman method myself. I have a 4 and a 1 year old and I have been at it for 1 and a half years and My results arent what I have expected so far. I have made over 60 books for them and my 4 year old can read some of them but has a little trouble with most of them. I know that I am close but I have not reached as far as we could have with them. You have done a absolutely great job with your kids, what can of advice could you possibly give me? I appreciate your time very much, thank you!
Stephany :smiley:

Hi,
The best things you can do at this point (Especially for your 4 year old) is have lots of FUN FUN FUN with it! Play exciting games like “word runner” and mail ( you can even put words in an evelope and have your child check the mail! Hi-lite any and all words you’ve shown your child in the books. This works well for both my girls… Also, I don’t put my finger under the words as I read to them, but you/or your child can point out the hi-lited ones. I also like to keep words in the back of a book, I’ll read an entire book, then show the words if they wanted. Never continue anything if your child STARTS to
get (even slightly) bored. Make them beg for the reading and games! Trust me…people want what they can not have!

Don’t have distractions, keep the place quiet or go to a quiet spot. Politely ask that others do this too. I make it a rule that no kids are allowed to be distracting while teaching. If you are starting to get heated before or even during a reading session, make a quick exit with the cards and relax! Just apologize when you return with “I’m sorry,Mommy wasn’t feeling so well.” I like to BREATHE! What works for me is: Inhale for 4 counts, Hold for 1 count, Exhale for 12 counts, and Hold again for 1 count.(Write it on the back of your hand then if you Do ever need it You’ve got it!)
4/1/12/1

Relax the shoulders, back and neck on the exhale (12) for max. effect.
Sounds cheasy, but it does the trick.
If I wake up a grump I’ll sit on
the pot for a minute and just breathe. I aways feel much better!

For reinforsing the sentences…it is harder. This just takes time and patience.You can do this best by making individual word cards and creating several short and simple sentences out of say…10 or 15 words that have already been taught as single words. Make them silly and even absurd! Example:
Emily has a nose.
Emily licked her nose.
Her nose tastes funny.
Emily has a toungue.
Emily licked Mommy’s nose.

Put it away quickly once he/she BEGINS to lose interest!!!  

Also for teaching sentences, make a book with simple sentences and have your older child teach your younger one. Don’t worry if it’s not right. Just offer help if they want it. If you make teaching fun for your older child they will have this gift to teach their own children when they are parents and also be learning to read all at the same time. Try to go through the same sentences 3x’s a day for at least 3 days. Also try typing it up in large print on the computer. Or playing “word runner” even with sentences! It just might take a little longer to get the correct card, but oh well. Kids love to run and this is so perfect for teaching! Don’t worry if they choose the wrong cards. It takes time. Shoot, sometimes my girls won’t even get a single card correct in a set on certain days. No one’s perfect. Mine always beg to play reading games, even if they’ve been spanked by me or had a crummy day or worse a minor injury. So, just focus on what they are getting, gently tell them the cards they are not and learning will be lots of fun, not a chore.

Have fun and Praise them like it’s a celebration, because it is!

I’m starting to get sore from typing, but I think that should just about cover it.

Hope this helps some!
Let me know how it goes!

Sincerely,
Autumn

Thank you Autumn, I will try that immediately. You are too nice!