Success stories to encourage this mom

Can some of you tell me your sucsess stories of teaching your baby math. I’d also like to hear what you did (what worked and what didn’t). I’m just starting out and would love to hear from you veteran math-teaching moms. :yes:

Hi there THen,

We have also just started … My son is just over three and a half, so has missed the window period for the dots. Although I did try them anyway, but in the end he said he hated them. So we do regular counting numbers and words. We have just started doing dot to dots and go from number to numer. As to sums and things I’d love to hear more. I did do a set of addition sums for him, but honestly am find time a mission. I downloaded some of the equations in the free downloads, but didn’t understand them. So hope some others give you their suggestions too.

Thanks

TABS

i started teaching dot cards to E at her age 6 month. she is very interested to the cards and we continued it. now she can count from 15 month to her. we give beads to her and she enjoys counting.

we shows he plash cards for reading and now some simple words she read.

we are gland that we started teaching her early. now she knows shapes toooo :biggrin:

I wrote this reply here about my experience teaching my son math with the Glenn Doman math program:
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/anyone-get-results-from-doman-math-method/msg3961/#msg3961

We started when he was 2 1/2 and he has been able to perceive quantity (tell the difference between a card w. 99 and 98 dots on it), and do instant arithmetic in his head including addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, and square roots. For the past month we have been doing a countdown to Christmas and he is learning numerals now (symbols for numbers, like 1,2,3 or IV, V, VI). It’s been a wonderful experience for us enjoying math together and I hope that other parents can press on and find interesting and fun ways of teaching math to their babies. Feel free to browse the “Teach Your Child Math” forum to hear all kinds of great ideas and stories about teaching babies math. :yes:

Hello DomanMom,

Thank you so much for the link! I don’t know how I missed that one. It was full of useful info and links. I am also encouraged to hear that you started at an “older” age (2 1/2) and had great success. That gives me hope that at 1, I still have time to teach.

TABS,

I’d love to continue hearing how it goes with you. I understand the time issue. With 4 other boys that I school finding time will be interesting. I guess I’ll need to get more organized. :wacko:

Hi there DomanMom,

I wanted to ask if you are still using the dots to do your equations etc. or do you use regular numbers already?

TABS

TABS, we introduced numerals (“regular numbers”) about a month ago as part of a countdown till Christmas. We have been learning a new numeral each day. We have been using dots and relating them to the numerals, i.e. showing him the numeral “47” then the card with 47 dots on it, etc. Apparently it’s not normal for a 3 1/2 year old to still be able to do the dots, but I guess he’s the exception for some reason. I wrote a post about this “lost ability” issue here: http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/phone-conversation-with-the-iahp/

I am also just starting to teach my 7 month old baby math. She has a tendency though to look away from the dot cards :frowning:

m_rogue23, don’t give up!! The results are worth it! My daughter didn’t always want to look at dot cards either, but I kept at it. Use a extra, exciting voice and maybe try putting a picture of your face or something else she enjoys in between a few of the dot cards. I noticed the biggest improvement when we started using Little Math. If you haven’t tried it, you can download the free trial and see how it goes. Now we are just finishing up semester 1 of LM and my daughter can do basic adding and subtracting!!! She doesn’t like to be tested though and often acts like she can’t. I catch her “teaching” it to her dolls, etc; that is how I know that she knows it. lol I suspect that she also can multiply, but I have never had proof of that yet.

Also, if your LO is only 7 months, it may be a while before you would be able to hear her doing math problems, but that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t know them! Other parents have lots of good suggestions too if you read through other posts.

Thank you. I just continued showing her the dot cards :slight_smile: hopefully one day soon, she will show me that she can do math :slight_smile: I also downloaded the Little Math trial as you suggested. I haven’t decided to purchase it yet though I have LR Deluxe which I find really easy and convenient to use.