Strongly recommand a great book to everyone!

The Education of Karl Witte

I would say this book is a “lost gem”, it was written in the 17th Century but it’s still quite fresh.

The only original copy has been stored in Harvard University, but I am lucky to dig it out online for free. The author educated his son since he was born.

Here is the link:

http://www.archive.org/details/EducationOfKarlWitteThe

That’s the brief introduction I found it on wiki:

Johann Heinrich Friedrich Karl Witte (born July 1, 1800 in Lochau; died March 6, 1883 in Halle) was a German jurist and Dante Alighieri scholar. He was the son of a pastor who encouraged a fairly intense program of learning. When Karl Witte was nine he spoke five languages and at fourteen was certified for a doctorate at the University of Leipzig.[1] His father wrote a book about educating his child.[2] In his own right be began his reputation as a Dante scholar in 1823

:slight_smile:

thanks always looking for new things!

blessed be all the children!

Thanks for sharing the book. Just downloaded it. :slight_smile:

THanks Curly. Just downloaded the book. I think I will print and read it. The orientation of the book was difficult for reading online.

Thanks for the link! I got a copy of this book in another language, and I didn’t quite understand some of the terms mentioned.

Thanks a lot!!!

iLusion: Save the file in PDF, open it, & ‘VIEW’, ‘ROTATE VIEW’ and ‘CLOCKWISE’
I did this about 10 seconds ago!..
But I’ll print it anyway.

Love those free books. It makes me a bit teary to think that parents, even centuries ago wanted the best for their children and were willing to ‘invest’ in them by teaching and learning.

Thank you this is very interesting. I have just been glancing it over in different sections so far and it’s facinating.

Again thank you for sharing! :yes:

Thanks for sharing!! I am looking forward to reading it!!

thank you.Karma to you.

Thanks Curly and k, will be reading it! :slight_smile:

Just downloaded it. Interesting book, will be reading it soon. Thanks for sharing Curly.

I also bought a copy in mandarin. Anyone who can understand Mandarin, I would suggest you to get a copy cause it seems easier to understand compare to the original one.

I selected and skipped some chapters when I was reading this book. (Some chapters seem insignificant to me. ) However, it’s still a very interesting book. You will find the way on how to raise a happy, well-educated child mostly resonates the ideas we are favouring nowadays. You can learn some ideas on how to homeschool your child, how to teach them multi-languages and how to teach them math, etc.

Hopefully it helps.:stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all,

For those who have read it, will it be too late if your baby is already 2? Does it mention we have to start it since birth? I will try to read it but I am just too busy with my little one (second one).

Thanks

Hi Tina,

Just select some chapters to read whichever part you are concerned when you have any time. I can understand how busy you will be with your kids. Ask for help from your partner or parents or friends if you really need it. Don’t worry about the age, I believe kids before 6 are all genius. They all have a lot of potential. Why not take the great chance and offer them the best?

If this book is not interesting to you, you can try to find some other books to read or talk to other mums. We can always learn experience from others. I found this web site offers great info for my baby.

Curly

Thanks Curly,

I will print them out first and read it! With 2 kids, it’s just way busy than I thought before! :expressionless:
Thanks for your comfort!

For those of you who have read the book, which tips are you going to implement? What did you find interesting and is there something you disagree with? I’m printing a second lot of chapters now…

Thanks Curly, I want to get the book in Mandarin but do you know where I can get it online as am based in London, England?

http://www.add-ts.com/carl/ml.htm

I found the translation work hasn’t been done on this web site.

or you can try to type the name on google:

卡尔威特的教育

you may find ebook.

good luck!

I haven’t done the English ebook yet, and I found the content seems partly different from the Chinese version. (dunno why)

Anyway, if I am reading the English ebook, I would be interested in those chapters from XII to the end. It shows how the author educate his son properly, how to teach him to learn language, math, and reading,etc.

I don’t agree with feeding issue, he didn’t allow his wife to feed Karl when he was hungry.