Strictly Dots?

When doing the Math cards, is it strictly important to use ONLY dots for their dot cards?

I like the idea of doing the GD dot method with card stock and such, but I’d like to make little booklets featuring quantities of other items.

1-5
6-10

75-80

95 - 100

For example, If I make booklets to go with each set of quantities for us to enjoy.
IE. Book 2 would feature quantities 6-10 and have 6 trucks, 7 cars, 8 bikes, 9 planes, and 10 helicopters

Book 10 would feature like 51 tigers, 52, lions, 53 leopards, 54 cheetahs and 55 panthers

With each page featuring __ pictures with a few words of information per page.

IE 54 cheetahs. Cheetahs are the fastest animals on land. They live in Africa.

Would it be dangerous/counter productive to do this sort of thing? I figure if I make interesting quantitybooklets then we can review the quantities any time the child wants without always having to use the dot cards to try and spare ourselves the monotany.

Understand, we would still use the dot Cards as prescribed in the GD method, but we’d also use booklets to read and enjoy. And yeah, they’d be jumo sized.

Sounds like a super idea to me! Go for it!

I did this a little with Hunter. It would have been wonderful to have such a variety of books as you are planning though!

The one I made was just for the teens (11-19) and had different colored cars on each page cut out from magazines.

http://grhomeschooling.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-really-know-my-numbers.html

I plan on doing something similar to what you are talking about with my little one on the way! I definitely wouldn’t say there is any “danger” in it, though. Good luck!

Well, we obviously believe in the importance of showing other icons and not just red dots, and hence a large element of Little Math involves showing all sorts of icons.

I believe that if we were to just have ONE icon (like in the case of flash cards), then red dots would be the best choice.

However, I also believe that it’s important, for many reasons, to not limit it to just red dots.

I agree with KL and think it’s important to teach things in a variety of ways, for example maths with dots, numbers and objects will IMHO result in a better outcome. I also believe that in terms of reading, the whole word Doman approach is great, if supplemented with things like phonics and the alphabet. We do a bit of everything and I personally think this will have an equal if not better outcome than just dots and whole words. I can’t see there being a worse outcome so why not do a variety? :slight_smile:

Does these Dots need to be in a particular order or can we just randomly make cards with dots anywhere?
Something like for number 2 can one dot be at the center and the other and the corner of the page? I ask so since I need to know if the child learns the order or the pattern?

Please help
Thank you
PP118

Doman is quite insistant that the dots be completely random, so the child doesn’t just learn patterns :slight_smile:

Awesome- Thank you