Storing EBM + Solid foods

Hi mummies, im super confused with all the information that is available. Was told that the glass bottles from the hospital is good for storing BM - freezing / chilling / Warming. WAs thinking that i can do the same for my baby food. But saw this info at this webpage: http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/FreezePage.htm

"Never Freeze Food in Glass!!

Baby food jars are not manufactured for freezing or for extreme heating. Glass that is not specifically manufactured for freezing has the unfortunate ability to crack, leave behind tiny, microscopic shards and fragments and also is prone to bursting. BALL, makers of home canning products, manufactures 4 ounce jars specifically for freezing as do other manufactures.

That being said, many people do freeze in baby food jars but we do not advocate this whatsoever! After all, you’re making baby’s food because you want the best nutrition and health for your little one; why take a risk by freezing in jars? There are glass jars on the market that are specifically manufactured for freezing and those jars should pose no hazards at all."

So are those glass bottles that we got from the hospitals safe? Any mummies can advise?

How about the sterilising part, by right if we do put our baby bottles into the steriliser to steriliser, “if we do not open the cover, the bottles will be sterile for 4 hours, after tat, they wont be sterile anymore”, but if we open it n expose to the open air, how long will it remain sterile? Or it will be not sterile anymore but its ok? And for the plastic liners, they are supposed to be pre-sterilised. How long will they remain sterile?

Please advise…

Thanx…

I can’t comment on the bottle part b/c I never used bottles, but I bought these trays for freezing baby food (you can also use them for breast milk). http://freshbaby.com/buy_our_products/trays.cfm They are cheapest on Amazon, plus you can get free shipping if you spend $25. http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Baby-Easy-Breast-Trays/dp/B0007CS4EU

Hi Icyclaw,

In regards to breastmilk you can freeze breast milk in containers mad from plastic but buy containers that are made for storing breast milk. I think avent and tommee tippee make a range of storing containers. Also I believe that breast milk can last in a normal freezer up to a month and in a deep freeze for three months.

In regards to solids. I bought a whole heap of Ice cube trays about 20-30 and I steam all my own veggies and cook meat obviously, then put it into ice cube trays and freeze it for later. Then I just pull it out as I need it. I make food in bulk so I am not for ever cooking and I make about 2-4 trays of each veggie. When i make Sophia’s solid food up I just take out 2 cubes of corn, carrot, peas. potato and mix it with four cubes of meat to = 12 cubes (Sophia is a real greedy guts and this is just 1 combination of many you can make up) and 1 ice cube = aprrox 1 tablespoon of food. So it is quite economical way to do things.

I have also seen on websites those baby food trays which nhockday is talking about, they look great but I am yet to find them here in Australian stores.

The reason why you don’t freeze things in glass is because glass can not expand and as food freezes it expands and the glass can not take the pressure.

I can not help you with the sterilising i really dont know much about it. I opened the steriliser straight after it had finished sterilising and made up all my botles immediately with boiling water, I never had a problem. I was also advised by the child youth and health services to stop sterilising after the baby is 6 months old becase their immune system is more developed and can take more ‘rough and tumble’ so to speak. I think you will be fine!!! :slight_smile:

Kimba, you must be careful with freezing in ice cube trays. Most of them are made with BPA, which is harmful, especially to babies. Most plastics are not supposed to frozen b/c they release toxins into food when frozen. You are not supposed to freeze those plastic water bottles or tupperware-like containers either. That is why I bought those containers. Can’t you order from Amazon or directly from their site? There are also several other sites that sell them. Maybe if you email them, they can ship to you.

Thanks for the tip nhockday, unfortunately they only ship for free in the US but you have given me a Business Idea :smiley: ATM there is only 1 company selling BPA free products in Australia, and there on the high end of the price market (because at this stage they have no competitors)

Im not too concerned about the ice cube trays as the low tempreture of the freezer would make BPA transfer very minimal BUT in saying that it is bottles that I am concerned about as they are continually sterilised and put through hot water would make BPA transfer alot higher and therefore more harmful.

Thanks Kimba

As with anyone outside of the US–if you have paypal and would like me to purchase and send something to you, I will be happy to so. That way, you will be paying the US price for an item and then you just pay actual shipping for me to send it. I will also mark it as a gift to save you on taxes. It will take several weeks for you to get anything, but I will do it if anyone needs me to.

Thanks for that nhockday, that is really lovely of you to offer that.