Stories

Hi guys when can i start reading stories to my chils she is two months old …

Also Should I narrate the story & relate it to our daily activities or should I just read out the story?

Also any suggestions about the kind of story books I should buy … I have bought a few with colorful photos which she loves gazing at…

Read anything and everything. At that age, she won’t really pay attention to the pictures, but she will like to hear you read.

Hi There,
What a great question. With my son, I talked to him all the time, all day long. I would narrate our activities during the day. I’d ask him a lot of questions and then look at him to see his “answer”. Of course he wouldn’t answer with words, but sometimes with movement or coos. Then I’d pretend I understood him and ask him another question. It was all in fun, but I seriously believe its one of the reason he was such an early talker and has such a great vocabulary. Plus, he actually understands the give and take of conversation.

As for reading, nhockady is so right. Your baby will love to hear you read. I would read magazines, the words on the box of my cereal, children’s books…anything that was around. I also had some short little books I’d read him when we ran out of things to do. Once my son got older and we had more away-from-home activities, I established a more routine time for reading books.

Congratulations on your new baby girl!!

Thanks guys … i am reading her this email while i am typing it out … :biggrin:

hi
baby like animals story they really like it. and there is sotry with sounds .its better to have a small story so they can handle it even if you are the one who is reading it !

I started reading to my baby when she was newborn and today she absolutely LOVES books. The first books we read were touch and feel books "Thats not my puppy’, ‘That’s not my lion’ and ‘That’s not my mermaid’. There are many in the series which is by Usbourne. Somebody also gave me a book called ‘What Floats’ by the Baby Einstein Company which was also popular. I found the following books very popular with my daughter:

1. Thats not my puppy, Thats not my mermaid, Thats not my lion by Fiona Watt (Usbourne)

2. Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown

3. What Floats by Julie Aigner Clarke (Baby Einstein)

4. First Picture Book Nature (this is excellent!) (Usbourne)

5. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle

6. The ABC of Art by Julie Aigner Clarke (Baby Einstein)

7. Animal Homes by Julie Aigner Clarke (Baby Einstein)

8. First Picture Book Nursery Rhymes by Jo Litchfield (I think!) Usbourne

9. Dear Zoo by Rod Campbell (a lift up flap book)

10. Where’s Spot? (I forgot the author’s name)

11. Spot Can Count

12. Wendy the wide mouthed frog (I forgot the author but you can look it up on amazon…this is a puppet book and it is very good)

I generally find some of the Baby Einstein books boring even though it says ‘from 6 months’ or ‘from birth’ on the cover. They seem too complicated and verbose to hold the child’s attention. Books like ‘What does Violet See?’ and ‘See and Spy Counting’ get rave reviews from parents on Amazon.com but my daughter has no time for the text and is only remotely interested in the pictures and that too only some of them. At first I felt really confused as to why she was not interested in them when all these other kids were but I guess kids are different and have defined tastes. But some of the Baby Einstein books are good and one advantage is that some, like ‘Animal Homes’ can be used up to 4 years old.