Stereograms - 3d illusions

Anyone showing these to their talking/signing kids? J is 2.5y/o and I’m going to show to him to see if he can see them or not. Im curious to see just how young they can start seeing them. Here is a site http://stereogrammes.org/main.php

That is an interesting experiment. How did it go?

One problem might be that stereograms have to be drawn to match the distance between the viewers eyeballs. If the physical distance between a childs eyes isn’t large enough (as stereograms are mostly designed for adults) they will not be able to see the image.

To get around the above problem you could print out the stereogram such that the printed version is physically smaller than the version that appears on the screen (perhaps 3/4 of the size). Shrinking the image on the monitor probably wouldn’t work, as stereograms depend on every pixel.

I LOVE this idea…My husband teaches Inorganic chemistry, and has spent a great deal of time researching (like many others in his field!) the fact that there tends to be a huge discrepancy between the abilities of boys and girls to see in 3-D…specifically, in his case, 3-D transformations of both organic and inorganic molecules, as well as the symmetry required to classify molecules. It has long been thought that an increased ability can be taught, but that it takes a regimented course of study…in addition, students either seem to ‘get it’ or ‘not get it!’.
Even when I took a graduate -level Organic chem class, students were either able to visualize the stereochemistry, or not! I wonder if any studies have been done long term as to whether or not this ability can be taught via right brain stimulation? (there are similar concepts in biology, medicine, even economics!)
Please let me know if you know, or have heard any further information about this! Awesome possibilities…