Starting a Doman flashcard routine.

I’m trying to digest the instructions for the Doman reading technique, and it seems like once you get past the beginning phase, you end up with 5 sets of words, each containing 5 words, for a total of 25 words a day, 3 times a day for each set. You swap out 1 word from each set after it has been seen for 5 days. In general, your DC is seeing the same word 15 times.

He recommends working up to 3 sets in 3 consecutive days, but when do you fold in the 4th and 5th set? What cues are you looking for to know that it’s OK to introduce additional sets?

Also, what about the beginning part and the first sets of words? Aren’t they getting more rotation since they aren’t all being retired after five days?

Finally, how different is Doman’s technique from LR?

So many questions!
TIA

** LR is based on Doman method

** Glenn Doman suggested guidlines and ideas, and it is up to you, really adapt it to your child and situation. I worked with early learning for a while, and even more I observed other parents I worked with over the years using Early Learning Methods (GD, etc) with their children. It was all about adapting it and fitting for your child’s individual needs and what you can afford doing. Have fun and enjoy it.

** Your yardstick is child’s attention and interest. Stop before he/she wants to stop. Make it fun, exciting. Look at it as a game, activity, your time together, rather then formal teaching lesson, for it is. We did learning activities from about 3.5 - 4 months, but it was more like having fun together. So even since our girl just cant wait to do her LR or flashcards, or read books, she looks at it as at a special treat…

** Do not stress about exact numbers of the words shown, etc. Or trying to fit exact number of sessions. Estimate what will work for you the best, so it is not too difficult or to stressful (for example if you are working mom, 3 sessions a day probaby would not work easely…), and then be flexible but consistent. If you feel stressed or not at ease your baby will feel it. So just relax and have fun.

** GD suggests to start with first sets having them for a bit longer then following, as it helps the baby to get used to the idea, and then he/she wants more and more.

Hope these help…