Stages infant/toddler go through when learning whole words

[b]I thought it would be interesting to record the stages a infant/toddler may go through when teaching them to read using whole words.

I want to share what I have noticed with teaching my infant to read whole words. Of course each child is different and has different experiences but I bet a lot of the stages below will be similar to other on this forum.
Here are the reading stages I have noticed in my child and also in other parents children who choose to share and post. [/b]

Start reading to your child, showing and developing an awareness of written words as young as three months old, once a infant has eye tracking control.

Infant may not show interest in the written word for quite a few months but they will be interested in the adults voice and touch that comes along with the process so keep going and keep it short and fun.
Infant may start to show interest in words written in their home environment.
Parents might notice the infant is interested in written words outside of the home environment, they may turn their head or lean out of your arms when you walk near big bold signs, if so stop and read it with them.
They recognises their first word, eg Parent asks "what one is .." child pick the right one most of the time. Keep this short and fun, you dont want it to feel like a test and have negative effects on your infant/toddler
The childs participation alongside words and songs increase eg clap their hands, touch their toes etc
They are slowly recognises more and more words
May use gestures or sign language to show they can read words that they can not verbally speak yet
Fast mapping stage, pick up new words very quickly form only seeing and hearing them only once or twice
Child points out words everywhere and any time expecting you to inform them of what that new word is. If you were keeping track of the words your child knows, this is where you start to loose track [i](This is where my 17 month old daughter is, although I think she has started on the next stage)[/i]
Child reads new words they have never seen before or have ever been taught - extract the rules of phonics and apply them to new words.

What happens next? Parents who have been here before with their child what can happen next, can you finish off the next stages, is it

starts reading phrases and sentences
reads phonetically
has full comprehension of what they are reading

feel free to add your experience in any of these stages

At this point my children began reading phrases, sentences and books. They had comprehension of what they were reading from very young. If they were reading it, they understood it. We did not stop learning new words, as you mentioned above, they were still learning more difficult words but very easily and quickly. The steps overlap and you do not necessarily complete a step. You can use flash cards or that style of teaching for the first years as your child grows more comfortable as a reader. My 5 year old is a great reader, but she may still need help with an unfamiliar word.

I am teaching my second child to read and have found that she is not developing in exactly the same order of stages as the previous child though there are big similarities - but I do wonder if that also has to do with the way I have been teaching them.

My younger DD is at the phase where pictures are really interesting and while she is pointing to both letters, words and pictures, pictures have more of her interest right now (she’s 19 months old and can read some sight words) I think some of the reading development mirrors other motor control development also as my DD saw many words related to actions but has only in the last few months (since about 16 months) started following along with the actions - she was slower with physical development than my elder. She has however also started saying some words when seeing them even though her speech is FAR behind what my eldests was at this age (my elder at this age was starting to learn to read phrases following words left to right)

My elder DD did NOT begin reading new words before reading phrases - she was sight reading entire sentences by 20 months but only began reading phonetically around 2.5 years of age - EVERYTHING was by sight before then despite the fact that she knew the phonetic alphabet at 18 months.

Both my DDs have shown full comprehension (age appropriate comprehension that is) of what they are reading since they began reading. My elder DDs first word she read was “dog” (age 12.5 months) and she pointed to the word on the wall, said “dog” and then pointed to the dog walking by and repeated “dog” clearly linking the word to the actual dog. My younger DD, like the older one will point out nouns mostly and words she understands. At one stage when my elder DD started with sentences she would skip the smaller words and point only to nouns or verbs that she understood even though she was capable of saying the entire sentence - she was honing in on the words that had greatest meaning for her.

There are other steps to learning to read that can come up at varying times:

Knowing to read from left to right and top to bottom.
Being able to read various font sizes (which is partly related to age and partly to exposure and sometimes requires teaching)
Understanding how to turn pages in a book and holding the book the correct way up.
Being able to read both capitals and small letters (depends on method of teaching)
Fluency with reading as well as age related pronunciation issues of various speech sounds.
Guided reading with a parent vs independent reading (this can vary greatly from child to child)
The ability to handle increasing amounts of print per page.
Teaching a younger sibling to read (variable)
Requesting longer and longer picture book read alouds and later chapter book read alouds and eventually reading these books alone
Learning to read becomes reading to learn (this can also begin almost simultaneously with learning to read and is more likely to happen faster in younger children/babies learning to read)

KristaG - Did you make your own home made books to encourage reading phrases and sentences in books or did you just mostly help out with unfamiliar words in sentences and allow them to read our loud the words you know they know.
Some people judge “comprehension” by asking a reading child questions about what they have just read and then see their comprehension from the childs answer. I think answering questions is more advanced then comprehension of phrases/words as I know my DD knows the meaning of each word by itself but I’m still unsure if she understands when there are three or more word together. So yeah i guess there is different levels of comprehension depending on the age.
“We did not stop learning new words, as you mentioned above, they were still learning more difficult words but…” Krista G - I never said they stop learning new words, Im not sure where you read that.

Tanikit - Yeah no child is the same, as no teaching and environment is the same. Although in saying that it would be interesting to see how twins get on learning to read with whole words. Are there any mums out there with twin that anyone knows of
Tanikit -Thanks so much for you input and extra stages I will do some modifications so the stages shortly.

This is in a rough order and some stages overlap and never end, But its interesting to see the learning develop.

Start reading to your child, showing and developing an awareness of written words as young as three months old, once a infant has eye tracking control.
Infant may not show interest in the written word for quite a few months but they will be interested in the adults voice and touch that comes along with the process so keep going and keep it short and fun.
Infant may start to show interest in words written in their home environment.
Parents might notice the infant is interested in written words outside of the home environment, they may turn their head or lean out of your arms when you walk near big bold signs, if so stop and read it with them.
They recognises their first word, eg Parent asks "what one is .." child pick the right one most of the time. Keep this short and fun, you dont want it to feel like a test and have negative effects on your infant/toddler
The childs participation alongside words and songs increase eg clap their hands, touch their toes etc
They are slowly recognises more and more words
Understanding how to turn pages in a book and holding the book the correct way up.
May use gestures or sign language to show they can read words that they can not verbally speak yet
Being able to read various font sizes (which is partly related to age and partly to exposure and sometimes requires teaching)
Fast mapping stage, pick up new words very quickly form only seeing and hearing them only once or twice
Child points out words everywhere and any time expecting you to inform them of what that new word is. If you were keeping track of the words your child knows, this is where you start to loose track
Being able to read both capitals and small letters (depends on method of teaching)
Child reads new words they have never seen before or have ever been taught - extract the rules of phonics and apply them to new words.
Knowing to read from left to right and top to bottom.
Fluency with reading as well as age related pronunciation issues of various speech sounds.
Guided reading with a parent vs independent reading (this can vary greatly from child to child)
The ability to handle increasing amounts of print per page.
Teaching a younger sibling to read (variable)
Requesting longer and longer picture book read alouds and later chapter book read alouds and eventually reading these books alone
Learning to read becomes reading to learn (this can also begin almost simultaneously with learning to read and is more likely to happen faster in younger children/babies learning to read)

Keep adding to this list if you think there is something we have missed

Me!
I have helped raise identical twins. And they both had a different learning style. At 6 One is a much more cautious, slower, but competent reader. The latter is faster but prone to mistakes. The former is a academic type. He always has been a thinker and a tinker. Could operate the computers. The latter is a jock type. He is a mover and a shaker. He would rather be actively don’t things.

I taught both boys to read by 3. The jock type did better with whole words. It was easier for him to quickly lean the words and haphazardly plough through reading. The academic type did better with phonics instruction, as it required more metal patience and suited the child that Liked to see how things work. They had both learnt all their phonics sounds by 18 months. But it took until they were three to read. I stopped being their nanny when they were a little over three and they went into a traditional daycare. Nearly all their reding ability had been lot completely.
They started Kindergarten last year. The academic-type phonics reader flew up the reading levels within a few weeks. The jock-type whole word reader lagged behind for a few weeks. But by the third month of school both boys were as adept at reading and neck and neck at the same level. And graduated K at the same reading level. Academic(phonics) reader has better decoding skills of unfamiliar words. Jock(whole word) has better comprehension. They both were exposed to a balanced approach in Kindergarten and the differences in reading are minimal.
Academic type is a much more patient, slower reader that will read in his free time, and tackle challenging texts.
Jock-type I just wants to get the resding over and done with for the most part. He is a faster reader and retains the information better. He is also a bit of a ham. He likes to hold the book up and read to you as a teacher would read to the class.

Now… Even though the twins are identical, as their DNA claims, they re very very different in personality. And this is reflected in how the leant to read, and how they read. In fact it applies to all their school work.

Korrale - that is so cool and interesting thanks for sharing

Kiwimum, my LO seemed completely off the chart. lol

I have always thought that the debate on teaching phonics or whole word first was a little redundant. This is based on my personal experience. I started off by teaching my LO whole words with YBCR and the Brillkids. With Brillkids, he liked the multisensory segments but it was just okay…Then I realised that he seemed to like the phonics part the end of each lesson best. He was about 12 months at that point. So, I put the whole word plan on hold and focused on phonics, which was what he wanted. Boy, did he loved it :yes:

I noticed was he never had a problem differentiating ‘d’ from ‘b’ because the letter sounds distinguished them so clearly for him. Also, I introduced both Upper and lowercase at the same time. At two, whenever I show him a new word, he sounds it out phonetically first, albeit not always right since we haven’t gotten to blends/ phenomes.

Lately, he is showing interest in whole words again, so we are climbing aboard the whole word train again will Brillkids as well as the Ladybird series.

Btw, he has always been more like Twin One from Korrale’s babysitting history.

mum2tiger - thats interesting, before your post I think i thought it was more the parents decision what method to follow but i can now see that you noticed where your child wanted to go and you did the right thing and lead him there. That make me feel even more confident in what I am doing as my dd is defiantly into whole words with comprehension, she turns away at the last phonic part of Little Reader cos the words are too new and don’t have pictures.
You should write down your own chart from your own personal experience and share it here with us.

Kiwimum,

KristaG - Did you make your own home made books to encourage reading phrases and sentences in books or did you just mostly help out with unfamiliar words in sentences and allow them to read our loud the words you know they know.

I made a lot of simple sentence books. I would get cute pictures from magazines and write a simple sentence about it. My kids learned to read a lot of words they had never learned before in these sentence books. Also, we read a lot of other books and I would help them with words they did not know.

"We did not stop learning new words, as you mentioned above, they were still learning more difficult words but.." Krista G - I never said they stop learning new words, Im not sure where you read that.

I did not word that well. I was agreeing with you that they are learning new words even past the primary phases of learning to read, but they learn they extremely quickly.

Tanikit - you remembered a lot of phases that I have soon forgotten. Thanks for the refresher.

Korrale4kq - Fascinating story. Thanks for sharing it.

Here is a blog post about the books that I made. You can see a sample here.

http://teachingbabytoread.com/2010/04/09/teach-baby-to-read--how-to-make-your-own-reading-books.aspx

This is going to be my project for the weekend, thanks for the inspiration

thanks krista for sharing ur idea its Nice to make such personalized book for kids. I really liked it. will do it when my child will start reading sentences. Right now he is 1.5yrs old :slight_smile:

Pilu,

I started using these books with my 12 month old. It was not because I thought he was ready but because he would bring them to me. His reading soared when we started using this books. I would just point to each word and read him the books. I strongly recommend that you don’t wait until you think they are ready because they always surprise us.

I found this very interesting on the Your Baby Can Read Facebook page
Read more http://www.facebook.com/YourBabyCanRead

Research on “Your Baby Can Read” – Studies 1-7
(Part 2 of 3)

1. TITZER, R. (1998, April). Case Study of an Infant Exposed to Written Language. Presented at the International Conference on Infant Studies. Atlanta, Georgia.
    Case Study of an Infant Exposed to Written Language

PURPOSE

To determine the long-term effects of a baby’s consistent exposure to written language.

METHOD

The participant began the program at age 3 months, 8 days and her progress was followed through six years of age. The baby viewed words on paper plates, word cards, books and a prototype of the “Your Baby Can Read” videotapes using a multisensory, interactive approach. Through these activities, the baby was allowed to see the words, hear the words, see and hear what the words meant, and often perform physical actions related to the words, such as clapping or waving. The baby viewed words daily. She watched the videotape nearly every day for seven months. She watched the tape one to three times a day but she did not watch any entertainment-based television as a baby. The amount of time spent playing with words and looking at words varied from day-to-day based on the baby’s interest and
the researcher’s schedule. On average, she spent about an hour a day watching the videos or looking at words on cards or in books until the age of 12 months.

RESULTS

3 to 7 months

No indication that she recognized any of the words; however she enjoyed the interactive activities. New words were generally added a few times a week

7 ½ months

First demonstrated that she recognized a word – she touched her foot when she saw (but did not hear) the word “foot”

9 months

Demonstrated that she recognized 30 consecutive words by saying the word or performing an appropriate physical activity for each word

10 months

Consistently recognized more than 100 words visually

12 months
Consistently recognized more than 400 words visually, showed some generalizability of learning by flipping novel word cards from upside-down to up-right positions

14 months

New words were learned quickly by the parents simultaneously pointing and saying words in books, reading Go Dog, Go! By Dr. Seuss, favorite books – Word Bird ™series by Moncure, books with Tweety ™

18 months

Could phonetically read most words (including nonsense words), read first grade level books from the library that she had never seen, often generalized lower case learning

19 months

Used character voices when reading stories

24 months

Read an average of around 20 books per day – favorites included The Ladybug and Other Insects™ , The Earth and Sky™, and the Frog and Toad™ series

3 years

Preferred non-fiction books about dinosaurs, archeology, and geography; Read the 314 page The World of Pooh book by A.A. Milne in less than 2 hours

4 years

Continued interest in non-fiction books – mostly science related topics; Favorite series – The Magic School Bus, also had a high interest in fiction

4 years, 15 days

Was tested by an independent clinical psychologist using the following tests with the following results:

Woodcock-Johnson –Revised Tests of Achievement (for reading skills)
Test Grade Level Percentile
Letter-word Identification 5.8 Above 99.9
Word Attack 11.9 Above 99.9
Passage Comprehension 4.2 Above 99.9
Comments: (She) demonstrated very unusual skills for a child her age in phonics, and she was very capable in decoding a variety of nonsense words that were shown to her. She also did very well on the Letter-Word Identification subtest, for which she was asked to read actual words. Similarly, her score on the Passage Comprehension task was very outstanding for a child her age.

4 years, 15 days
Received a perfect score on a standardized IQ test administered by an Independent psychologist. The probability of receiving this score was 0.00003 or 1 out of 33,333.

5 years

Preferred fiction, especially mysteries and Winnie-the-Pooh stories

6 years

Preferred mysteries, fantasies and classics

DISCUSSION

This study detailed the remarkable progress of a baby who was allowed to see the language from the age of 3 months, 8 days onward. This illustrates that it is possible for babies to learn to read at high levels at the same time they are learning to understand and say words. This exposure appears to have enhanced her overall language mastery as was evident in the testing.

I found this on the Your Baby Can Read Facebook page and think others on here will find these two post by Robert Titzer interesting.

http://www.facebook.com/YourBabyCanRead

Reading Milestones When Using Our Multi-Sensory Approach

Learning to Recognize the First Written Word
Learning to Read the First 50 Words
Recognizing Patterns of the Written Language
Reading Two- and Three-Word Phrases
Learning to Read around 200 Words
Learning Phonics
Reading Sentences
Reading a Book from Cover to Cover
Fast Reading
Independent Reading

The First Milestone: Learning to Recognize the First Written Word

The first word is probably the most difficult to learn whether it is receptive language (understanding), spoken language (talking), or written language (reading). The main idea is to allow your baby to learn the language with the eyes and the ears, instead of only with the ears.

In order to understand spoken language, we try to make the first words easier to differentiate by repeating them hundreds of times, and by slightly over-enunciating the words, since so many words in English sound very similar. The baby will go from using only the sound of the word to eventually being a higher level learner who uses contextual information in a sentence (including syntax and semantic cues) to determine which word was spoken. Some babies develop similar skills while learning the written language. Initially, they may use only the appearance of the written word. However, it is possible for the babies to learn patterns of the written language and to develop other strategies to determine the meanings of the words.

When initially teaching babies spoken words, we generally don’t start with words that sound alike. If we apply the same approach to learning the written language, then we want to make the first words easier to learn by repeating them hundreds of times and by selecting initial written words that are not too similar.

In order to teach your child the first word, I recommend consistently allowing your baby to see the language while hearing the language instead of only hearing the language. Just like it takes a newborn many months of hearing words before learning to understand them, it should take most young infants many months of seeing and hearing words before learning to recognize them. Older babies and preschoolers can often learn their first written words much more quickly.

I recommend starting with a fairly large number of words – at least 20 – so the child can also learn a general pattern of what English words look like while learning the first written word. One key is that the words should be seen with different frequencies. In the first YBCR DVD, some of the words are repeated much more frequently than other words in order to try to help the child learn the first word. These frequently repeated words – for example: clap, wave, and mouth – are also shown on our word cards and in books to increase the probably that the child will learn these high frequency words.

In the next post, I will provide numerous ways of helping your babies, toddlers, or preschoolers learn more written words while trying to reach the milestone of reading 50 words. In subsequent posts, I will go over each of the milestones mentioned above.

I look forward to sharing more information with you and hearing your stories about how your children are doing. Together, I hope we can help more families experience the joy of early literacy.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Dear Facebook Fans,

Learning to Read the First 50 Words

I first introduced the milestones for learning written language several years ago. I am hoping that these milestones will help more families experience the joys of early literacy. My intent with these posts is to help parents stay motivated throughout this experience and to offer suggestions to help babies, toddlers, and preschoolers achieve each milestone.

While the first written word is probably the single most difficult word to learn for babies, this milestone of learning to read 50 words may take the longest to achieve. With receptive language, it often takes babies around a year to acquire an understanding of 50 words. It generally takes even longer for the child to say 50 words. However, once a child can understand or say around 50 words, the child will likely learn new words at a much faster rate. This was once referred to as “fast mapping” indicating that the baby could acquire new words very quickly. There are newer theoretical explanations for why infants learn more words in less time, but the important point that I want to emphasize here is that your child may begin learning written words at a faster rate around this milestone. The next several milestones will likely happen in a matter of weeks or even days once your child consistently can read 50 words, so do what you can to help your baby learn these first written words.

Guidelines for Acquiring Early Literacy:

1. Make it multi-sensory. Allow your baby/child to see words at the same time as hearing the words.
  2. Point to words from left-to-right as you say them.
  3. Ideally, start as soon as your baby has visual tracking (or the ability to follow moving objects with the eyes). If your child is already older start at that age. Briefly, there is research showing that children who are taught to read at age 3 or 4 years, read better years later than children of the same IQ who are taught at age 5 or 6 years. Those taught at age 5 or 6 read better than children of the same IQ who are taught at age 7 or 8 (see studies by Durkin for more info.).
  4. Start with large words for infants under 5 months of age and gradually reduce the size as the baby is a few months older. By 12 months of age, the size of the words is not very important as long as the words are big enough for you to see.
  5. Isolate the words. While the size of the words isn’t so important for a 14-month-old, removing the “background noise” or distractions is very important. Initially, show one word at a time with minimal auditory or visual distractions in the background.
  6. Use parentese when saying the words to infants. Parentese is using a higher pitched voice and slightly elongating the vowel sounds. Initially, over-enunciate to make sure that your baby can differentiate similar sounding words.
  7. Use lowercase letters the vast majority of the time, but follow capitalization rules. In English, almost every book (except for many baby books) is printed in lowercase letters and follows capitalization rules. Since you want your child to read at fast speeds in the future under these conditions, the early practice should be mostly with lowercase letters.
  8. Add the meanings of the words most of the time. For babies under 6 months of age, add meanings of the words almost every time by showing the objects, body parts, or actions that demonstrate the meanings immediately after showing and saying the words. Adding the meanings becomes less important over time. For children who understand the meanings of all of the words, you can still show the meanings some of the time. However, you can show and say more words in less time without adding the meanings, so this doesn’t need to be done every time.
  9. Vary the fonts, colors, background colors, font size, materials the words are on, order of presentation of the words, time of day, locations where the words are shown, and even the person showing the words. For example, mostly use black on white words or other high contrast color combinations for young babies. Later, vary the color combinations and use numerous combinations with numerous fonts. Mostly use fonts that are frequently used in children’s literature.
  10. Make the learning interactive. Ask your child to look at words, point to words say the words, move words, match words and corresponding objects, place objects next to the appropriate words, answer questions by doing actions, jump on words, run to words, find words, etc.
  11. Have fun! If you are enjoying yourself, your baby or child is probably going to have more fun too.
  12. Make it easy for you. Put stacks of words in different rooms of your home, in the car, in the stroller, and wherever it will make it more convenient for you. Keep a whiteboard or notebook nearby and write down words while you are playing with your baby. The notebook works great because you can review words that you have already printed. When you are tired, put in a YBCR DVD and interact with the video by saying every word as soon as it comes on the screen and by answering the questions in the videos. This will provide a good demonstration for your baby. If you are on the phone, on your laptop, or otherwise busy, put on a YBCR DVD and let your baby watch while you quietly talk on the phone, read, etc. (while you observe your baby). You will have more energy after taking this short break and you will likely make more of your precious time with your baby.
  13. Allow family members and friends to show your baby words. Your baby will benefit by having different teachers along with different teaching styles. Even if your friends or family members don’t show the words exactly like you may want, it will be great for you and your child.
  14. Vary how you show words. There are studies showing that infants’ learning generalizes more easily if they have many different experiences instead of only the same experience repeated over and over. Most of the time, you will be doing teaching activities and saying the words as you point from left to right, then acting out the meanings. Some of the time, you can play “fast word games” that I will explain in future posts. Occasionally, do recognition or recall activities. Show words on whiteboards, on hand printed word cards, in books (when there are only a few words per page), on TV and computer screens (as long as your baby isn’t too close to the screen it shouldn’t be harmful – the content may be harmful in many cases, but I am talking about showing large words not entertainment-based shows), with individual magnetic letters on your refrigerator, with foam letters in the tub, using sticks in the sand or dirt, and numerous other ways.
  15. Make it natural for your baby to see words at the same time as hearing words throughout the day by writing down words that are related to what you and your baby are doing. Get in a habit of writing down key words throughout the day and pointing to words as say them. Do this even if it is only for a few seconds here and there. The main idea is for your baby to acquire the written language naturally in a way that is similar to how your baby acquires the spoken language. To do this, simply add the written language to what you are already doing. If you are not with your baby for most of the day, then do what you can to select someone to care for your baby who will want to help your baby learn and show your baby words, if possible. In a few cases, loaning the daycare provider a YBCR DVD could make a difference.
  16. Be creative. Play games with your baby with written (and spoken) words. Make variations of your games and make the games more challenging as your child’s skills improve. Play matching games with words and objects, sorting games with written words, physical games with words, object naming games, Bingo, etc. Add words to simple games or activities that you and your child enjoy. Add written words to the activities that you do frequently.
  17. Make sure your child understands the difference between the word and what the word represents. In other words, sometimes you might say, “This is the word ‘arm’ – this is ‘your arm’ – and this is ‘my arm’.” while you are pointing to or touching the word, your baby’s arm, and your arm, respectively. Later, you could ask your child, “Where is the word ‘arm”? Where is my arm? Where is your arm?” In addition, you could also use a photo and say something such as, “This is the word ‘elbow’, this is your elbow, this is my elbow, and this is a picture of a child’s elbow.” while pointing to or touching each of these. Ask questions to see if your child can point to the photo of child’s elbow, the word ‘elbow’, and each person’s actual elbow.
  18. Understand the difference between recognition and recall activities. It will be easier to answer recognition questions than recall questions, so start with recognition activities. A multiple choice test is a recognition activity. One has to recognize the correct answer and not recall it. An open-ended question would be a recall activity. Recognition questions give your child some options from which to select the answer(s). For example, say “Find the word ‘baby’!” while the word ‘baby’ and one or more other words are placed in front of your child. A recall activity be asking your baby, “What does this say?” while holding up a word. Do recognition activities most of the time until your child consistently selects the correct responses, then gradually transition to some recall activities for those words. When you introduce new words, start with recognition questions again.

Thanks again for all of your very generous and kind comments. I genuinely appreciate all of you and your efforts in helping your babies learn. Together, we will eventually change the way many people view this important topic.

Thanks and good luck helping your children move along the path to the next milestone.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Recognizing Patterns of the Written Language Part 3

Dear Facebook Fans,

If your child has achieved the second milestone, there is a chance that the third milestone may have been learned, but not necessarily noticed. You may need to behave like an infant researcher to test whether or not your baby or child has learned any initial patterns of the written language. First, I will describe why this milestone is important, then I will detail how you can check to see if your child has already learned more than what you may have realized.

When learning the spoken language, many researchers used to believe that babies learned individual words first, then the general patterns of the language later. However, it is now clear that infants learn some patterns of the spoken language in the first year of life simultaneously with learning their first words. In other words, the baby is learning some syntax and grammar at the same time as learning initial individual words. Some scientists report that infants are better language learners than adults. This may be because of their abilities to learn patterns of languages. For example, infants who are learning English and another language can learn these patterns in English just as well as babies who are only learning English. The number of new synapses related to language development appears to peak around 11 months of age and that could help explain why infants may learn patterns naturally whereas adults may need to learn the patterns through rules and explanations (as well as a lot of effort).

Many researchers have pointed out how difficult it is to learn a spoken language simply by listening. One of the many difficulties in learning a language is figuring out where words begin and end since people typically don’t space their words out while speaking. Instead, one word often flows into the next in natural speech. Listen to an unfamiliar second language and imagine that you don’t even know there are individual words and imagine that you don’t know anything about grammar. You can see how complicated learning the spoken language could be for infants without this information. The babies who are learning written and spoken language are obviously getting extra sensory information which should help them figure out where words begin and end, for instance. It could also help them distinguish words that sound very similar because they would have visual information that other babies don’t have. In studies of babies who consistently used YBCR for at least 7 months, their receptive language, expressive language, overall language, and overall cognitive scores were significantly higher than a control group matched for socio-economic factors. The extra sensory information YBCR babies had by being allowed to see the language while hearing it might have made it easier for them to learn language skills in general. I say this for many reasons and I will give two of them here. First, there is so much evidence that learning through more than one sensory system helps infants learn more. Second, there are studies showing that learning one aspect of language often helps other aspects of language. The previous statement about babies learning language skills at a higher when they see and hear language simultaneously is a hypothesis that is supported, but not yet proved, with science. (Please see the posts on Nov. 5th for more information on the YBCR studies.)

My hypothesis – along with similar hypotheses of other scientists – is that infants are capable of learning the written language naturally in a way that is very similar to how babies learn the spoken language. If this is true, one would expect that infants would begin to figure out some patterns of the written language at the same time they are still learning individual words since this happens with spoken language. My daughters demonstrated they had learned some of these written language patterns by 12 months of age. I have tested many other babies at various ages and sometimes they show signs of having learned the patterns and sometimes they don’t. I believe it depends on many factors: the age at which the child began consistently seeing and hearing written language, how many words the child knows, which words the child knows, which words the child has seen and heard, the overall number of words seen and heard, what types of tests are used, the child’s mood at the moment of the test, the individual child, and many others. I intentionally included a wide variety of words in the YBCR program that made the initial learning sufficiently complex to make it possible for the babies to acquire these patterns. If, for example, the child only sees and hears three letter words in a consonant/vowel/consonant pattern such as ‘cat’, ‘red’, and ‘tap’, it would be nearly impossible to learn more complicated written language patterns.

I learned serendipitously that my older daughter was figuring out more than the individual words that I was teaching her when I accidentally held a word upside-down and she turned her head upside down to look at it. You may have had a similar experience already. If so, this is evidence that your baby/child has learned some general pattern of how words generally look. Please tell your stories here.

I developed tests to check if my younger daughter had learned these types of patterns.

Here are two ways of checking:

Test 1:

When you do this first test, it would be better if you show your child at least two or three words that are in the normal, upright orientations first, then show a word that is upside-down. Select a word that clearly looks unusual for an English word when it’s upside-down (for example, ‘bellybutton’, ‘kicking’, or ‘gorilla’). Many letters in English look like letters even when they are upside-down, so please don’t choose a word where the letters have vertical symmetry or where it still looks like a string of letters from our alphabet. Please don’t give your baby/child verbal or nonverbal cues that the word is upside-down. Just hold up the word like you would normally and observe your child’s response, then please write a few sentences and let us know what happened.

Test 2:

Hold up two “words” in front of your baby/child (for example, “ot” and “jumper”).
Please tell your child “First, look at both words. One of these words says ‘jumper’ and one word says ‘ot’.”
Next, say “Which word says ‘jumper’?” OR “Which word do you think says ‘jumper’?”
“Which word says ‘ot’?” OR “Which word do you think says ‘ot’?”
Babies may answer by looking, pointing, or reaching for a word, so try to keep the words an equal distance from your child.

Now, hold up two more “words” in front of your baby/child (for example, “newspaper” and “zat”). Please tell your child “First, look at both words.”
“Which word looks like it says ‘newspaper’?” OR “Which word do you think says ‘newspaper’?”
“Which word looks like it says ‘zat’? OR “Which word do you think says ‘zat’?”

Please do not do the first test frequently. It will be far better for your baby or child if most of your time is spent showing and saying words in an upright position. If your child shows no signs of having learned written patterns on the above tests, you may want to teach your child another 20 words, or so, before checking again.

It would be great if you could make a short video of your “test” the very first time you do it, then post the video here. It would also be helpful if you would state the number of written words your baby/child consistently reads and your child’s age.

It can be a very exciting time when you notice that your child has learned a pattern of the written language that you did not even attempt to specifically teach. This would help show that the babies have not only memorized the words, but they have started learning the patterns of the written language. It also would provide additional evidence that babies or toddlers can learn the written language in a way that is similar to how they learn the spoken language.

I am looking forward to hearing your comments about these patterns or watching your videos. Thanks so much for your interest in this extremely important topic.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Learning to Read Two- and Three-Word Phrases (Part 4 in a Series)

Dear Facebook Fans,

When babies learn to talk, they say their first individual words on average around 12 months of age. It generally takes another six months before the baby can say two or three words together. When young babies learn the written language, a similar pattern should be expected in that it is likely that babies will take many months after reading their first words before they are reading many two- or three-word phrases.

Even when young children can read many individual words, they are often overwhelmed when reading a large number of words in a sentence. It is helpful to provide a transition from reading individual words to reading long sentences and eventually books by having interim steps along the way, such as reading two- and three-word phrases. Initially, it is easier when you combine words with which the child is familiar for these phrases.

In the DVDs we have two-word couplets included in the first DVD so that your child will learn this concept and learn to read words from left-to-right. We include “arms up” and “arms down” as well as the word “arm.” We also include “look up” and “look down.” This should help their learning be more generalizable and help them learn to read new multiple-word phrases.

Write down some two- and three-word phrases as you are playing with your child. Many babies and toddlers enjoy playing matching games with words and objects. If you have cups that are red, blue, and yellow, you could write down: “red,” “blue,” “yellow,” and “cup” along with “red cup,” “blue cup,” and “yellow cup.” First, review the words a few times by saying the words as you point to them. For the color words, have many objects that are those colors. More specifically, say “red” as you point under the word from left-to-right, then quickly point out and talk about the red objects. Do the same for blue” and “yellow.” Next, play matching games where you ask your baby to place the words “red cup,” “blue cup,” and “yellow cup” by the respective cups. Do this with many different words and the corresponding objects.

Babies who watch our DVDs will see the words “wave” and “hand” making “wave your hand” a good choice for a three-word phrase. You could also use “clap your hands,” “kick your feet,” “touch your nose,” “tap one foot,” “touch one arm,” “wave two hands,” and other combinations of mostly familiar words. Have fun and act out each phrase. Encourage your baby to do the same.

When you are reading books that have many words on the same page, please realize that this is likely too many words for new readers. With these books, read the books for the love or joy of reading instead of using the book to help teach reading.

Find books that have only two or three words per page for babies who can read some words. (I think it is easier for the child to learn the first words when they are isolated.) Initially, point just below each individual word as you are reading them more slowly than usual. Once your child can read at least 50 words, slide your finger under the words as you say them more naturally. Next, teach your baby to point to the words while you are reading to your child. You can also take turns reading the words with your baby to help your child transition from reading individual words to short phrases.

Learning one area of language often helps the learning of other areas of language. Preschoolers will not likely take as long between reading their first words to reading short phrases because they can already talk. In the preschoolers’ cases knowing how to talk in phrases and sentences should help the child put words together more easily when reading. On the other hand, babies who are reading two- or three-word phrases may be able to say the words together earlier than if they did not have the written words to assist them.

Next week, I will be going to work at a baby show in London with one of my daughters. I generally meet many babies who can read on each day at these baby shows. I likely will do informal, fun tests with babies and toddlers to see if they have learned patterns of the written language. I hope you will continue to comment about how your baby responded to last week’s tests or how long it took your child to go from one milestone to the next. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Dear Facebook Fans,

Learning to Read 200 Words (Part 5 in a Series)

Over the 21+ years that I have been teaching or helping teach babies to read, or the more than 16 years that YBCR has been available, I have communicated with thousands of families where the children learned to read as infants. My writing on these milestones has been influenced by all of these experiences as well as by studies on language acquisition and early reading, but there are no studies specifically on these written language milestones.

The age at which this milestone is met varies greatly based on many factors including the child’s age when written language was introduced, how frequently words were shown, whether or not the guidelines similar to the ones listed in the Feb. 1st post were consistently followed, how much mindless TV was shown to the child as a baby, and many others.

I know from personal experience by teaching and testing babies who have learned to read that it is possible for babies under the age of 12 months to read more than 200 words, but currently this appears to be rare. While there are no studies (that I am aware of) on this milestone, a typical age in the US for reading 200 words would probably be around age 7 or 8 years. Many children who start on YBCR in the early months of life can often read at least 200 words around age two or three. Two weekends ago, I was at a very popular baby show in London. As is usually the case, I met many families where the babies, toddlers, and preschoolers learned to read using YBCR. Included in this group were many babies and toddlers under the age of 36 months who could read more than 200 words. Often, these babies and toddlers have also learned some phonics. (I will write about learning phonics for the next milestone.)

Once your child achieves this milestone of reading 200 words, she or he may be learning new words quickly and may be well on the way to becoming a phonetic reader.

Please note that you do not need to buy YBCR in order to teach your baby to read. I have stated this in TV interviews since the late 1990s as well as in the first Parents’ Guide that I wrote. I hope it is obvious to anyone who knows me very well that informing parents about how they can help their babies and toddlers acquire the written language naturally in the first years of life while their brains have more neuroplasticity is much more important to me than promoting our products. However, as a trained infant researcher and as someone who has more than 20 years of experience teaching babies and toddlers to read, we put a lot of effort into creating products to teach reading to make it easier for the parents and their children. My goal here is to motivate parents who already have the program to use these products as designed – or to make or use similar products – to help their babies and toddlers learn more words.

Here are some ideas to help your child go from reading 50 words to 200 words and beyond:

1. Please use the suggestions from the previous posts about teaching children their first words and their first 50 words. The main difference is that your child may learn the words at a faster pace.

2. Apply the 18 “Guidelines for Acquiring Early Literacy” from the Feb. 1st post.

3. Go to libraries and check out at least 100 books a month. As a full-time student with a full-time teaching job, I went to different libraries on a regular basis and checked out thousands of books over a few years so our family would have a wide variety of books: non-fiction and fiction books on many topics from simple baby books with very few words to graduate books from the Indiana University Geosciences Library. I want to mention that research indicates that reading to a child does not typically teach a child to read once socio-economic factors are controlled because the average 4- or 5-year-old only focuses on words an average of five seconds per book. Babies who use YBCR may look at words more than other children, so reading to the child can help the child learn to read – especially if you follow the next tip.

4. Once your child is reading at least 50 words, you can help your child learn new words from books that don’t have too many words on each page (such as the YBCR lift-the-flap books or the YBCR Mini Sliding Board Books). If there are many words on the same page, enjoy the book without using it to teach reading. Use the following strategies when there are only a few words per page:
    A. Point to individual words from left-to-right as you say them a little more slowly than normally.
    B. If your child can read most of the words in the sentence, then you can read it at a normal pace and slide your finger from left-to-right under the sentence as you say it.
    C. Teach your child to point to the words as you say them.
    D. Occasionally, pause and have your child read words some of the words.
    E. Eventually, take turns with your child reading words or sentences.

5. Turn off the TV most of the time. Your family will likely read more and communicate with each more. However, sometimes the caregiver is unable to interact with the baby. This is a great time to show your baby words using the YBCR DVDs. Many parents may think that any television is bad for babies because of the media reports that were based on studies that had babies watching soap operas, sporting events, the news, cartoons, or other entertainment-based shows. The television can actually provide a multi-sensory learning opportunity – if the content is chosen carefully – especially if it used sparingly. Some infant researchers use videos to teach or test babies in their experiments. Additionally, there are studies showing babies can learn from educational DVDs. When a caregiver is busy for five minutes, the 2-year-old still has millions of new synapses forming. Having the baby sit quietly with a toy every time the caregiver is busy for five minutes adds up to a lot of time without much language stimulation in many households. One reason that I made the reading videos for my own babies was because I wanted them to have multi-sensory, interactive language stimulation while I (or any other caregiver) was busy. Since a 3-month-old baby is thought to have more new language synapses every second than a 3-year-old, it makes sense to provide a language-rich environment very early in life. I am trying my best to get this message out to parents, so they make informed decisions about helping their babies and toddlers develop language skills.

6. Keep it fun for your child and for you while doing the reading activities and word games.

7. Play the “Fast Words Game” that is described in the “Baby’s First Teacher” instructions.
    Play with individual words and with short phrases. Briefly, this is how it is played:
    A. Show your child how to play the game by having two people who read well demonstrate.
    B. One person flips through a stack of word cards (some of which may have short phrases) as quickly as you possibly can. It helps to occasionally flip back and forth between two words, such as “clap/waving/clap/waving/clap” so the child sees and hears the same words over and over in a short period of time.
    C. The other person says the words or phrases out loud as quickly as possible.
    D. Your child should be watching the two better readers having fun and playing the game.
    E. Allow your child to play the game using the same words that were just reviewed.
    F. Add in new words and help your child when needed.

8. Once your child can read at least 50 words, then she or he may begin using the Your Child Can Read program (even if your child is still a baby). This series of DVDs is now included in the YBCR Deluxe Kit or it can be purchased separately. Two hundred of the most frequently used words in children’s literature are included in the DVDs. There are more than 1200 words in the series and we focus on phonics and fast reading activities.

9. Babies and toddlers who can already read at least 50 words can benefit from using Closed Captioning on television, if you watch any other programs.

10. Other videos with songs and many words may be used to teach new words once your child has figured out how to learn written language. For example, I used the Lyric Language videos in several languages to help my babies learn to read in other languages. (These are now called Your Baby Can Speak and they are available in German and Spanish.) You may find similar second language videos at the library.

For the next milestone, I will focus on helping your baby/toddler/preschooler learn more phonics. We at the Infant Learning Company sincerely thank you for all of your comments and videos. Please continue to let people know how your child is doing. It is helpful if you include your child’s current age, how long you have been showing your child written language, which milestones have been met, and any details about your experience.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Dear Facebook Fans,

Learning to Read Phonetically (Part 6 in a Series)

NOTE About No Research Related to This Post: For these written language milestones, there are no studies that have been conducted. For this phonics milestone, I am hypothesizing about the importance of learning phonics and which reading methods are better for teaching phonics. There are no studies comparing different methods for teaching babies to read. As I have stated many times in the past, no one needs to purchase Your Baby Can Read in order to teach their baby or toddler to read. I originally designed the program for my own babies, so they could learn to read while watching videos, riding in the car, or playing.

This post about the phonics milestone covers four main ideas. The first point is that there is a lot of variability in the importance of phonics when learning to read based on which language is being learned, so the “phonics milestone” may not even exist in some languages and, at the other extreme, it will lead to reading at a relatively high level once mastered in languages that follow the alphabetic principle (where there is a one-to-one correspondence between letters and sound). The second main idea is that in phonics-based languages, I believe this is an extremely important milestone and that reaching it earlier is likely much better than reaching this milestone later. Thirdly, I address why I think there is such a divisive debate between supporters of methods that emphasize whole language and supporters of methods that emphasize phonics. More importantly, I think the debate could be moot if we would teach reading at the same time that other language skills are taught. In the last section, I offer some suggestions for parents to help teach their babies, toddlers, or older children phonics using our multi-sensory, interactive approach.

The idea of babies naturally learning their written language at the same time they are learning to say and understand language is much larger than simply teaching babies to read in English. Billions of people on our planet will learn to read in languages that are not phonics-based, so this phonics milestone will vary in importance based on the language that is being learned. Chinese Mandarin, Bengali, Hindi, and Japanese are among the most widely- spoken languages and none of them are phonics-based. Within the alphabetic languages that are phonics-based, there is a wide range in how phonemic they are. Spanish and Vietnamese are consistent phonemically more than most phonetic languages. English is considered to be one of the least phonemic out of widely-spoken phonetic languages.

If the ten most widely-spoken languages were placed on a continuum based on how much they follow the alphabetic principle (of each letter of the alphabet making one distinct sound), English would be near the center between the logographic-based writing systems and the languages that very closely follow the alphabetic principle. Different languages on this continuum would generally use dramatically different approaches when teaching reading from memorizing every symbol at one end to a phonics approach at the other end. It may be partly because of the location of English on this continuum that there are often “reading wars,” or intense disputes, between those who advocate primarily phonics approaches to teach reading and those who advocate primarily a whole-language approaches. Since English has so many exceptions to the phonics rules, a combination of approaches is probably better once the child is age six years or older.

But which approach would seem more optimal for teaching babies and toddlers the written language?

Just like teaching reading in different languages may lead to diverse approaches when teaching reading, teaching reading in English during the first couple of years of life – compared to age six or later – may likewise call for a method that matches the baby’s developmental state. It is possible that an approach that may work well later in childhood doesn’t work well earlier or that an approach that works well in infancy may not work so well in later childhood. [Note: There are no studies as of April, 2013 comparing and contrasting various approaches to teaching reading during infancy, so I am hypothesizing based on logic that I will explain.]

I designed the Your Baby Can Read multi-sensory, interactive approach to use both whole language and phonics parts, but the emphasis is on whole language. A phonics-based approach becomes more important as the child gets older in a way that is similar to contrasting the way a baby learns grammar with how an older child would learn grammar. The baby has learned some grammar and syntax with no formal instruction on either in the first year of life. On the other hand, an older child would likely need to learn through the complicated rules of grammar in a way that it similar to learning the rules of phonics.

This is an important milestone that will allow your child to learn a lot more on his or her own. Babies and toddlers often have a lot of free time, so learning phonics early in life could lead to reading many books about many topics and acquiring a lot of knowledge. In addition, there will likely be a lot of incidental learning in numerous situations because the baby or toddler could read signs, notes, packaging, store names, street names, etc. that allowed the baby or toddler to figure out the world with more information than most babies or toddlers generally have.

To help your baby reach this phonics goal:

1. Teach your baby numerous individual words. Use many of the ideas in the Feb. 1st post. Remember, not only is it theoretically possible that babies could learn the written language in a way that is similar to how babies learn the spoken language – there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of babies who learned phonics without being told. For example, please read many of the posts on this website, YouTube, or other infant reading websites where parents talk about their babies learning phonics. In addition, there are also books written on early literacy describing babies who learned to read without being taught phonics. However, there needs to be more research on this topic. The main point here is that teaching your baby or toddler to read many words could help your baby learn phonics because the child will have more individual words memorized which should also increase the chances that the child will learn some phonics.
  2. Write out rhyming words frequently – say the first few, then ask your baby or toddler to say the others. For example, write out “hat”, “cat”, “sat”, and “bat”, then ask your child to say “mat” and “pat”.
  3. Focus on two types of phonics learning with babies and toddlers: implicit/analytical phonics and embedded phonics.
    A. Implicit or analytical phonics – This type of phonics involves the child analyzing whole words to detect patterns in spelling or the sounds. To use analytical phonics teach do activities similar to #3 above and #8 below where you show your child many words that start or end with the same letter(s), or that rhyme and are spelled the same in the middle. Write out ‘bat’, ‘bubble’, ‘bear’, ‘bottle’, ‘baby’, and ‘book’, then ask your child to read ‘bib’ and ‘box’. Note: ‘bib’ is in the YBCR program, but ‘box’ is not. Do the same with words that end with ‘ing’ by writing out ‘smiling’, ‘going’, ‘sharing’, ‘ring’, ‘bring’, ‘jumping’, and ‘wing’, then see if your child recognizes ‘stopping’ or ‘ding’ Neither of these words (‘stopping’ or ‘ding’) is a YBCR word. You could also write out ‘seen’ and ‘green’, then see if your child can read ‘teen’. Note: This example illustrates why learning to read and spell in English using phonics can be complicated because if you select the word ‘been’ it is pronounced with a short ‘e’ sound instead of a long ‘e’ sound and if you write out words that rhyme with ‘seen’ and ‘green’, many are spelled with an ‘ea’ in the middle (e.g., ‘clean’, ‘mean’, or ‘bean’).

B. Embedded phonics means teaching the letter-sound relationships when you are reading with your child and you notice that she/he needs help with a particular part of phonics. In other words, if you are reading a book with your child and the word ‘bed’ is not pronounced properly, then teach the ‘b’ sound, the ‘e’ sound and the ‘d’ sound in the word ‘bed.’ You could primarily use analytical phonics while doing the teaching, but you only do it as it is needed based on your child’s abilities and needs. This one-on-one teaching is great because your main focus is on enjoying the books with your child, but you teach phonics as is needed.

C. As your child is age 3 or older, you may need to introduce some explicit phonics where you write and sound out all of phonemes. I could write a lot about why I would NOT focus on explicit phonics with babies and toddlers, but the basic reasons are:

1. it may slow the speed of initial reading (instead of immediately recognizing the word and understanding what it means, the child sounds out individual letter sounds), [I will talk more about this on the “fast reading” milestone.]

2. it doesn’t work for about half of the words in children’s literature,

3. it is likely not as interesting because the sounds of the phonemes are the focus instead of the meaning of the word and developing a love of reading is one of the most important goals here,

4. it is abstract,

5. it is complicated, and finally,

6. it is not necessary for many babies and toddlers.

7. Use Your Child Can Read. The DVDs are designed to teach phonics by using primarily analytical phonics as well as by teaching more than a thousand new words. We have many phonics sections in the DVDs. Ideally, parents would frequently watch the DVDs with their children, then do some of the same activities that are in the DVDs.

8. Use the Your Child Can Read Sliding Phonics Cards that have two sliding tabs. The cards are designed to use analytical phonics. We now have them on sale separately in case you have the YCCR DVDs, but not these cards. The child can form words from rhyming words, then match a photo that goes with the words. The background images on the cards match those in the DVDs making the cards very colorful with an interesting look. We now offer the Sliding Phonics Cards to be purchased separately at www.YourBabyCanRead.com since there are many people who have the DVDs, but not the cards.

9. Write out nonsense words and read them with your child. Encourage your child to make up a word, then you can write it out. Have this gradually lead to you writing two nonsense words and see if you child can point to the correct one. For example, you could write out “nana nana” and “goo” and see if your baby or toddler knows which one says “nana nana.” These nonsense word games can be lots of fun and help the child learn phonics. Try to do some familiar phonics activities and some where your child may need help.

10. Look for books at the library that have many rhyming words in them. “Hop on Pop” and other Dr. Seuss books are good examples of this type of book. Read and point to the words as described in detail in earlier posts.

11. Use whiteboards, chalkboards, sidewalks, laptops, sand, and many other surfaces to write words that start with the same letter(s), end with the same letters, or have the same letters or sounds in the middle.

12. Make up phonics games to play while riding in the car, on walks, or around the house. Please make it fun for you and your child.

I will write more on this topic in the future. The next written language milestone is Reading Sentences.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this. Please continue to let us know how your babies, toddlers, and preschoolers are doing with these milestones and how they are doing in general.

Dr. Bob Titzer

Learning to Read Sentences (Part 7 in a Series)
By Dr. Bob Titzer

Dear Facebook Friends,

When babies learn the written form of language at about the same time as the spoken form of language, it makes sense that some of the written language milestones may be similar to some spoken language milestones. For example, when talking, babies usually say individual words, then two or three words together before saying complete sentences that are relatively long. Currently, babies generally say their first words around 12 months of age in the US and about six months later the same child may be saying two- and three-word phrases. After about six months of saying phrases, babies often can speak in complete sentences. The milestone ages vary greatly from author to author, so these are necessarily accurate guides even with spoken language being so studied. Every child progresses at a different rate based on many factors. Having a language-rich environment is very important for developing language skills and I believe the environment is richer with more sensory information – including allowing the baby to see the language instead of only hearing it.

Please try the following activities to help your child read longer sentences.

1. Find books with no more than 4 or 5 words on most pages and read them with your child. Still check out many other types of books from the library, but these books will help your child transition from reading two- and three-word phrases to longer sentences.

2. With books that have more words per page, try covering up most of the page with a blank sheet of paper so only one or two lines of print are shown at once.

3. Take turns reading sentences with your child. You may want to start off reading most of the longer sentences.

4. Help your child with reading some of the words or phrases in the sentences before you read the sentences. For example, you could write out some of the more challenging words on a whiteboard individually and allow your child to sound the word out phonetically – helping your child when needed. In addition, write out some phrases from some of the pages of books that have the most words. You may see whether or not your child can read the words when they are more isolated and whether having too many words on the page is the problem.

5. Gradually transition from alternating reading words or phrases with your child to reading longer sentences or pages or groups of pages (and eventually books) with your child.

6. Read a wide variety of types of text where your child is highly motivated to read sentences. In addition to reading books, it could be reading signs, posters, sentences on websites, phone apps, birthday cards, etc.

7. Put on the closed captioning if you are watching other DVDs with your child. Try turning off the volume to make the experience more like reading a moving picture book.
    The Your Child Can Read DVDs have many sentences in them and they are designed to help children transition from reading short phrases to sentences and books.

8. Write out sentences frequently on whiteboards, paper, on your computer, etc. and read the sentences together.

9. Ask your child to say a sentence and you can write it out or type it in a large font size as quickly as you can. You could take turns in this activity where you write out what your child says, then you make up a sentence and write it out. You could even play a game where you write a short sentence and see if your child can make up a sentence with more words. Your child could add to your sentence like we do in the Your Child Can Read DVDs. For example,
    “Michael is reading.”
    “Michael is reading a book.”
    “Michael is reading a book about dinosaurs.”
    “Michael is reading a big book about dinosaurs.”
    “Michael is reading a big book about several types of dinosaurs.”
    “Michael enjoys reading thick books about many types of dinosaurs as well as about primates, birds, and other animals.”
    It can be fun if an older sibling or a parent also plays this game.

10. Act out sentences. Write out a sentence that your child may find interesting, then demonstrate what you wrote. For example, write out, “I am going to hide a toy under the pillow on your bed.” then show it to your child, read it, then act it out. You could vary how you read the sentences using the earlier suggestions. With all of these activities, try to find the right balance where the game is challenging, but not too difficult.

11. Narrate what is happening from your child’s perspective and write it out. For example, write and say sentences simultaneously similar to the ones below. Also, make it interactive part of the time by asking questions.

“Sachia is playing with blocks.”
“Sachia has two red blocks connected.”
“Sachia has five yellow blocks and three blue blocks.”
“Will Sachia connect another block to her two red blocks?”
“Look at the airplane in the sky.”
“Do you see the airplane in the sky?”
“Daddy is holding a big green block and two little blocks.”

My hypothesis is that learning the written language at the same time as learning the spoken language is a better way of learning language skills than learning the spoken language first, then re-connecting that information to the written language later. By hearing and seeing the language together – along with the meanings of the words – it may help the baby learn to understand words, say words, read words, and even put words together into sentences compared to only learning languages by hearing them. There are no studies directly addressing this specific issue, however, learning one area of language can help the learning of other areas of language. Because of this, some preschoolers may be able to do this “reading sentences” milestone before the phonics milestone because they can speak in sentences with ease. Therefore, once the preschooler learns to read the individual words in a sentence, the child may not have any new difficulties by having more words on the page. Many babies and toddlers, however, may have difficulty reading longer sentences or pages of mostly words (instead of mostly pictures) even when they can read all of the words on the page individually. Hopefully, some of the above activities will help.

The next milestone is reading books from cover to cover. Thanks for taking the time to read this and please share ideas and update us on how your child is progressing through these reading milestones.

Reading Milestones using a Multi-Sensory