Split - Was: "The Great Debate"

[EDIT - This started to stray off topic, so I split it off into its own thread so the main thread does not lose focus. :slight_smile: - KL]

Teresa I think the points you raised are great :slight_smile:

Especially that we are role models, I think that is an essential thing to keep in mind ALWAYS. And also the hands-on learning… I was actually just wondering if at one point you can be a live playlist for your child, as in for example showing him/her real objects while showing the words, instead of pictures…anyone know if that is beneficial or counter-beneficial? It is a good variation, i am guessing…

That’s supposed to be extra beneficial–especially for kids who get bored with just watching the screen. It allows them to feel different textures, shapes and sizes and learn to associate them with certain objects. Definately try it if you can or maybe when you’re child is older and likes to explore the world more insted of sitting and watching the just flashcards.

Oh definitely!! :yes: :yes:

Ideally, you would even prepare ‘real’ materials alongside your play back session. Eg., when you show the word for apple, and the picture for apple, and maybe even a video of people eating apples, you could even bring out a REAL apple! Break it, let your child smell it, taste it, etc!

For sure, variety would be best, if you can afford the time and energy that goes in the preparation!

That’s why action words are great too, because you can get your child to participate in motion to the word.

And that’s also why VIDEOS would always be more powerful than pictures. Hopefully, one day, our library would be so complete that we’d have videos of almost all the words out there.

I think all this kind of stimulation is great for babies and kids, especially using as many senses together as possible. But what is the most beneficial about flashcards method is possibility to show them very quickly (the best is 1 every second) which stimulates the right brain (which is our aim). Otherwise it stimulates the left brain.

ok this is great food for thought :slight_smile: So the frequency is primal hence the flash cards but then sometimes it’s good to slow it down a bit for more in depth understanding…right?

I think if your child is receptive to the flashcard sessions alone, then stick with them. If it were me, I’d add more sensory lessons later when his/her attention/interest begins to wane. Or i’d do the flashcards like normal, but add little learning times throughout the day. Like when you’re eating an apple, tell him her that it is a (red) apple, let him/her touch, smell ect. Or if someone has a dog that is friendly, you can take that opportunity to teach about dogs. But that’s just me, and I’m no expert! :biggrin:

Hi nohayo,

What Pupisek said was correct. In order to stimulate the right brain, you need to flash the card FAST (1 per second). Otherwise it will be left brain learning which requires repetition.

Of course we will take every chance to educate our kids, like talking to them and showing them names of different things or what we are doing to boost their vocabulary. What KL said about introducing action words are absolutely right! This is something the speech pathologist asked me to do more with my son. :tongue2:

Teresa