Speed reading

has anyone actively taught their children to speed read? Advice? Tips? Information? Reflection? I will take anything :slight_smile:
Decided my 8 year old hasn’t got enough free time in her life so speed adding could be a great solution for her. I also found out that the younger they learn the skills the faster they read and higher the comprehension.
( recommended age is 7 with at least a third grade reading level)

Didn’t Dr. Jones do a lecture about this on Friday? I emailed Chris@jones… for the recording that they were planning on doing, but haven’t heard anything back yet. Will keep you posted if they send me a link to it.

I began and to need to resume using this software with my children:

http://www.eyeqadvantage.com/personal/

Yes I am waiting for the recording too. But was wondering if anyone had actually done it. I have done some reading up and I definately think it’s a do able idea.
I shall check out that link Ayesha thanks.

learning to read fasterI think www.readspeeder.com has some interesting ideas on . It’s interesting because unlike a lot of programs that merely push you to read more words at a time by ‘chunking’ the text into a set number of words, this one actually divides the text into groups of words which are separate, meaningful thoughts on their own. It makes it easy to see the to see whole ideas at a time, which helps make it easier and quicker to understand the text. One other thing that makes sense is that instead of just trying to maintain comprehension while reading faster, it concentrates primarily on increasing comprehension so that reading is just naturally faster as a result. The site has a free library of over 500 books, including many children’s classics. Oh, and it’s free too.

Thanks, DaveGalt for the website! My nephew has struggled with reading and we have been looking for an affordable speed reading course for him. This looks great! We will try it out and keep y’all posted how it goes. If anyone else has tried it, I would be interested in hearing how it has worked for them.

Yes thanks DaveGalt that looks really interesting.
I’m naturally quite a fast reader (maybe due to my initial learning to read through Doman’s techniques?!) but I have tried some speed reading strategies to increase the efficiency of reading that I have to do for work. Unfortunately I found that many of these methods meant I could read super fast but five minutes later i could barely remember two words of what I had read.
I really like this concept of thought units and focussing on comprehension as a route to speed reading. I think I may check out this site myself!

Now that’s interesting. That seems to be the opposite approach taken by speed-reading for kids. It teaches visualizing the whole page, speed is focussed on first and comprehension comes with practice. So while learning the kids will read a good number of books with very little conprehention at all.
He is the summary ( which is actually supposed to be enough info for anyone to teach it to their kids…)
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/stancliffe59.html it does suggest adults wanting to learn should buy the book http://www.speedreading4kids.com/
Thanks Dave for the link, I will check it out. Have you used any of the techniques?
Interesting note. I mentioned to my daughter that I thought she might enjoy speed reading and demonstrated how fast she could read a page if she learnt. I also told her Poppy used to do it that fast ( to make it real for her) She was fascinated went off to her room and practiced. 15 mins later her school reading homework was done! Her whole book. I reckon she knocked of 10 minutes just by thinking sure I will practice that now! I will admitt the book was too easy and that is what they suggest for learning speed reading ( easy and big print) but Perhaps she won’t be hard to teach! Lol