Speed Reading Course Suggestions

Hi Everyone

I have an 8 yr old advanced reader and a 4 yr old not reading yet. We have used Little Reader but now I am looking for an actual speed reading course. I have been using Eye Q but my kids are bored of it. Can anyone suggest something else? I have spent a copious amount of time and money only to be disappointed. Thanks.

Mandy.

I used this with success for both my then 8 year old and my self. It’s a summary of the book " speed reading for kids" which you really won’t need to buy after reading this.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/stancliffe59.html
I have nothing to help the 4 year old as this method requires good strong Instand word recognition to succeed. You will need a huge amount of short novels with minimal pictures to do it. Way more than you think!
There is a speed reading thread on the forum but its not a topic we as a whole group have a lot of experience with overall. Although there are many parents here who speed read most of the kids here just picked it up automatically with no training. Just the enthusiasm to read the story faster!

Thanks so much! I love the article and love that they give you such definite ways to teach. I suppose I was secretly hoping for an online course that would do the same thing. But through a lot of wasted money, I realized that there is nothing out there ;(

Thanks again.

I’m so glad I’m part of this forum. It never occurred to me to teach speed reading. Now, after reading the article and a bit more, I want to learn with my husband and when she’s old enough teach my daughter.

Over the summer, I was looking at some speed reading software. It looked like “7 speed reading” was pretty good and they have a free version on their website where you cut and paste passages and then input the speed and chunk size.

I haven’t bought the program, but have played around with the free version. I typically detest reading on a screen which is why I didn’t purchase. I’ve been thinking of doing it though

practice, practice, practice - and this is one area where, yes an online program, will likely help you acquire the skill (or at the very least boost your performance by a few factors)

That is what I was thinking, there has to be something online. I will try it. Just don’t waste your money on Iris. Biggest waste of time. So the search continues. Thank you!

http://www.spreeder.com/app.php

I’m sure the full program is FAR better, but this will flash the words the way you want

Have you tried the app Acceleread? I have downloaded it but not much more than that…looks promising.

We’ve been using beestar for extra online reading. I like the simple presentation: text has nice simple fonts, the pictures and graphs are to the point not distracting and stories are interesting. The honor roll, ranking, award programs are effective. DD always can’t wait to do the exercises.
Lisa

Has anybody found “THE” web-based Speed Reading Programe for kids yet? Or can we have an update on how the suggested programes work for kids please? (Insert Quote
http://www.spreeder.com/app.php)

Also, in another post I read that Tweedlewink´s Pamela recommends EyeQ and was pretty impressed. But I see that Mandy started this post saying that her kids got bored of EyeQ. Did this happen to other parents as well and why is that?

Ideally I need a programme that works on the ipad as we are out and about a lot.
Any recommendations for a kid´s speed reading programe from those that are ahead with their research?
Or at least warnings of what NOT to buy? (Have already got “Iris” on my list after Mandy´s remark)

Thx in advance!

May I bump up again my question after the long summer break?
Can those you have tried various web-based Speed Reading Programes for kids please share their findings?
Many thanks in advance!