Speech delay?

I’m not sure if I am posted this in the right place but I have a question. I downloaded the trial and the program looks very interesting so I think I am going to buy the Little Reader Basic to get started. My youngest son is 17 months old but so far seems to be delayed in his speech. The only words that he currently says are “dada” and “all done”. When I look at the videos of kids at the same age, they are reading many words! My son can’t even say those words independently let alone read them. Would this program still be beneficial for him? We have been labeling everything and narrating our whole day to try to encourage speech but it just isn’t coming yet. My oldest son (just turned 6) also had a speech delay) and my 3 year old daughter has Down syndrome and a speech delay so this is not something that we are not familiar with but it is just discouraging to see kids at the same ago who are speaking so much better (and reading!).

Hi there-

If you click on the tabs above BRILLKIDS>LITTLE READER>TESTIMONIALS>OWEN you can read my testimonial for my son Owen (and Lily’s next to it too :slight_smile: ). I had the very same issue of speech delay with my son and I believe LR has helped it tremendously. I think both of my children are exceptionally bright (don’t we all? LOL) but he is simply far slower to speak than my daughter, not sure why? He will actually READ words out loud that he has never attempted to use in everyday speech, and the words he DOES use are almost all words he has been taught to read.

There is no reason that a speech delay will impact his ability to read, and if anything I think it will help it. Best of luck!!

TmT

I personally know at least 4 children who are currently 17 and 18 months old who only say 4 or 6 words each. It is not uncommon. It is also more common for the youngest children to speak later as their siblings understand their grunts and pass them what they want without them having to ask. LR will help in many, many ways. Vocab development is just one of those ways. Your child may very well decide to start talking in complete sentances overnight, one day when it is quiet and they have something to say!. In saying all this it is good to encourage talking! Use just one word at a time naming objects that you pass to baby regularly. cup, drink, book… And get your LR you wont be dissapointed. As mentionioned above your child doesnt need to be able to talk to be able to read. And one can only help the other.