Spanish or Chinese immersion - Need help making decision!

Hi All,

So we actually have a good problem to solve, but I would love some advice. My son has been learning Spanish since he was 1 and is very comfortable with the language and culture. He has a choice of going to a Spanish immersion elementary school or a Chinese immersion elementary school. HE would prefer to go to the Spanish school. I think mostly because he knows the language and he’d feel comfortable, it would also be very easy for him during the first year while all the other kids catch up to where he’s at (he’s reading at least a 1st grade level in Spanish). I think he’d be bored and am afraid he’d act up because he’s already well ahead in reading and math. The Chinese is completely different and I think this makes him nervous. I think it would be a good challenge for him. He loves languages and talks about wanting to know a lot of different languages. What I’m afraid of is if we choose Spanish instead of Chinese, that he may regret it when he’s older. (then I wonder if it is ME who would regret him not learning the 3rd language and not him. Am I doing this for him or because I really want him to??) I am also afraid that if we make him go to Chinese, he’ll resent me/us for it. I’m really trying to let him be part of the decision, but how much decision making do you let a 5 yr old have?? Please help with any advice. The Chinese school is closer and would be easier for me to get him to/from than the Spanish. We would also plan on supplementing the Spanish for as long as we can. I know which way I’m leaning, I know which way he’s leaning. How do we choose??

If it were me I would opt for the Chinese and give him the exposure and the chance of fluency in a third language. It will give him a challenge, you seem concerned about that.
And if it doesn’t work out is there a reason why you can’t switch to the Spanish school? After a year or so the other kids would probably be closer to his level there.

When it comes to education of my son when he is 5, I probably wouldn’t give him a choice. At least not in a decision of what school he would go to. He will be empowered with choices in what sport or instrument he plays.

I would choose the chinese one too. It’s also a very different language to spanish (and I’m assuming english as well) - this could help him in the future in learning other languages, and some of the sounds may only be possible to learn at this young age. Its unlikely that without this early base he would be able to pronounce words properly if he decided to take it up later.

I would explain your reasoning to him - that you are choosing this for him because you think it will be more challenging and he needs challenge to make his brain grow and learn (something we emphase a lot here). Point out the pointlessness of going to a school where he likely will not learn anything as he already knows the language and quite possibly all the curriculum. And if you don’t speak chinese then maybe point out that he’ll get to learn a language that you don’t know. An idea might be to plan a trip to china after a year or two and say that he will be the translator for the family.

I’d say make the choice you think is right for the long term. Kids usually think very short term.

I think it is up to you. Not up to him. You are the parent, you know more than he does. Although, yes…keep his thoughts and feelings in mind. Kids learn better when they are enthusiastic about the topic.

So look at it this way: magic wand scenario your little one would say “Yes mommy! I want the Chinese program!!! please, please, please!!” right? Then everyone is happy.

So your goal now is to convince him to want to say that. Introduce him now to Chinese culture. Show him documentaries or movies or youtubes or do whatever it is that you need to do to get him excited about going to the Chinese program. Let him see your enthusiasm about Chinese culture, not your doubts on which one is best (he’ll pick up on that). Take him to the school on a tour. A museum. Invite friends who are Chinese. Show him maps of China so he can see how big China is and tell him how the most widely spoken language in the world is Mandarin. Also, remind him that if he doesn’t like it you could always consider to changing schools (so he doesn’t feel it’s a forever type of decision).

This being said, you would probably want to make a strong commitment to continue with Spanish at home. Kids forget languages easily if you don’t keep up. I know this because it happened to my husband (he forgot German and Arabic even though he lived in Germany and the Middle East for years). I speak fluent Spanish (my native lang.), English, and Hebrew. I was immersed in them fully for years and continue to speak them everyday. The point is, you don’t want your kid to be a jack of all trades but master of none by starting Spanish and then not continuing with it with the same vigor as before. There is enough of Spanish to fill many years worth of learning, i.e. it’s more than “Hola, me llamo…”

Best of luck!

I would definitely choose Chinese. This is the age when kids learn so easily a 2nd, 3rd, or even a 4th language. Your son will pick it easily up for sure, especially that he already has the advantage of being bilingual.
(You probably imagine Chinese is so difficult to learn, judging from your perspective as an adult – but children do not have these thoughts, he doesn’t know ‘Chinese is difficult’ ) … so, go for it :slight_smile: you may regret it if you don’t, as he grows up and finds it more difficult to learn languages.
Adina

I think Omnipedia’s advice is brilliant to get him enthusiastic about your choice. And yes, kids forget language very easily just like they learn it very easily. So, that would be my biggest concern about choosing Chinese. I know lots of people who grew up in Spanish speaking homes and are no longer very proficient in Spanish. Once they started going to school they spent most of their day in English then started talking to their siblings in English too. But, I can understand it would be hard to pass up the opportunity to add a third language as different as Chinese.

I’d also choose Chinese.

Chinese all the way…because I’m lazy and wouldn’t want to drive so far. lol

But ALSO because it’s the better educational choice. Even so, the commute would be my primary deciding factor. :wink:

Thank you all for your advice, it is very much appreciated. We did a tour of the school, playground and library and now he’s on board!! I am really concerned about keeping his Spanish going though so if anyone has recommendations on a good homeschool/afterschool Spanish curriculum, please let me know!

Yay! Glad It worked! Que bueno que funciono! You’re all set.

Now to keep up with the Spanish, you may want to play a game with him to translate from Chinese to Spanish.

“How do you say xie xie in Spanish?”

“Gracias!”

If you can get into a habit where he learns a Chinese word and starts thinking “I wonder what that word is in Spanish?” then you’ll be making it easier on yourself and your child. Sometimes doing an extra language curriculum on the side can be too much (both for parent and kid). You’ll mean well but your kiddo will have a test for regular school and you’ll end up putting aside the DVDs, workbooks, etc…

It happens to all parents. I know it happens to me. That’s why just a quick habit of thinking in Spanish and Chinese, i.e. two new languages, usually works well.

Then work on double phrases

“Wo Bu Yao!”… “No quiero!”

Another thing you could do is get Spanish-Mandarin materials or make your own. Example: flash cards with word and picture. On one side Chinese and on other side Spanish.

Good luck!