Spanish and English

Hi everyone! I’m new to posting on the forum but have been reading on here for quite awhile. I have a few questions about multiple languages for my 9 month old daughter.

Do any of you have experience with YBCR in Spanish? My husband is bilingual with English and German (English is his first language) but he also understands spanish pretty well and can also speak enough to get by. I speak both English and Spanish fluently (learned English as a young child/no accent in either language) We live in the US but would like our daughter to be entirely fluent in at least English and Spanish. We would like to introduce additional languages in the future, but these are the most important to us right now. I speak to her mainly in Spanish but he and I communicate in English so she hears English all of the time as well.

We recently started a couple of weeks ago with YBCR in English (DVD split into 2 sessions and occassionally she gets the full DVD 2x/day), Tweedlewink (a few times per week), Signing Time (a few times per week) and short segments of Sparkabilities. I’m wondering if we should be doing the YBCR program in Spanish instead of or maybe in addition to the English one? Or if there’s a better program out there?

I’m afraid that because she hears so much English now since we started these programs (ie. YBCR, Tweedlewink, Sparkabilities, and anytime we are out and about since most people here speak mainly English) that she won’t learn Spanish fluently. We have also started LR Lite in Spanish. We are trying to decide if we should purchase the Spanish curriculum for her as well.

I have been reinforcing the words from YBCR English throughout the day, but now I’m wondering if I should be doing that since I’m trying to speak to her only in Spanish.

I’m also concerned about screen time at her age. Prior to a few weeks ago she didn’t have any screen time other than a quantity app with the Doman style red dots.

Sorry for the long post. I have lots of questions! :slight_smile:

Well…I think I’ve decided to put YBCR English on hold for now. We are going to start Kidstart Spanish or YBCR Spanish instead. Has anyone used Kidstart with success in a younger baby? My LO is 9 months old.

i was reading that everyone has a primary language and then secondary languages
just like right and then left
or left and then right

a word is an abstraction but could be referred to an object reality giving it meaning
if one language is known, words in second language could be defined in relation to first language

thus you would not usually stop using right hand so left hand could gain more skill
better use both together

You can teach your kid multiple languages at this age. If your child is hesitant to speak multiple languages, you will have to spot if there is any language disorder with your child. I feel that this article would help you out a bit more: http://www.momjunction.com/articles/how-to-spot-your-childs-language-disorder-issues_00358509/