Sorting, stacking, and arranging tendencies

I’m curious if your 1 year old went through a major organizing phase?

I’m trying to gauge how normal this is…

Like I mentioned in some previous posts, DS:

-Arranges bottles of any kind in a row, destroys the order, then arranges it again.
-Stacks his foam letters up high, destroys it, builds it back up.
-Sees more than 1 of the same type of thing and wants to arrange them.
-Moves a handful of pens from one part of the room to the other, puts into a box and out over and over.

Thoughts?
mom2ross

Never ever saw this with my little boy. He was happy to stack blocks, when we encouraged him to, for a while. He also was interested in messing up any order he saw around him. (Still is.) But a whole pattern of sorting, stacking, and arranging, no. Count yourself blessed.

Blessed?
Um, is it OCD?

LOL. I don’t think a 1 year old would have an OCD. I think it is a good thing that he is recognizing patterns and organizing things. There is nothing wrong with him wanting to destroy things over and over. That is normal for his age. So is putting things in and out of boxes. Nurture his ability. Play patterning games with him. Use it as an opportunity to teach him concepts like in and out, over and under, etc.

My son is the same - and still arranges things at age 2. He loves lining up cars in straight lines and can spend hours doing it!

My son went through a phase like this too so I looked it up. I found a discussion in another forum (I can’t remember where) and someone responded that these kinds of activities are developing linear thinking skills. I don’t know where the other mom got her information, speculation or a child development book, but it made sense to me.

mom2ross,
I just read your second posting, you seem very concerned. I was very concerned about my several son’s behaviors, and not just the sorting. He was also violent, was a picky eater, had fleeting eye contact and had several activities that looked like they could be stimming. In addition I have 2 cousins that are ASD. I called the Special Education department at local school district (Oregon) and made an appointment to have him evaluated for special needs. I turns out he is normal with some eating delays and has qualified for Early Intervention therapy. A therapist comes over once or twice a month and helps me with things to work on with him. But more importantly I gained peace of mind and I no longer worry about the possibility of ASD.

ETA
I just wanted to clarify that in my inexpert opinion from what you told me I don’t think your son is ASD. I was just relating my story, that is why I even brought it up. I also wanted you to know how you might begin looking for resources or help in your area if your mommy sense is telling you something is wrong.

mom2ross - my son was very much like that. He was obsessed with getting things in a particular order - his order. Sometimes if we were running late, I’d try to help him to speed up the process and he would get so cross with me. I posted up a youtube video of him sorting some IKEA stools in the children’s room at 17 months and jokingly called it “OCD child”. I received some interesting comments from viewers suggesting that my son might be autistic. You can view the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsbQwcdsDVw

My son arranged everything - our water bottles had to be placed on the table just so. Move them slightly out of line and he would get very upset. His trains need to be organised in a certain way. His colour pencils must be put back into the case with each colour in its own place. Sometimes there was a method to his madness and sometimes not. He would also rearrange the shelves at the mall - here’s another video…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt9GBEBAlNA

He’s now 3+ and is no longer that anal about order so I concur that it is just a phase and a learning one at that. As for all the viewer comments about him being autistic, well, he’s certainly not.

I read a book called the wonder weeks which talks about special milestone developments in children at specific times during the first year plus and the need to set order to things was one of them. The book also talked about breaking up things and taking them apart. The author said that in order for a child to learn how to put something together, he needs to learn how it comes apart first. So I guess it’s all a very normal part of development.

Sure, blessed–this means your child is fascinated by patterns, which means he’s a thinker. At least, that’s my totally amateur opinion.

Shen-Li, I find the videos sooo cute! I wish my Cammie would do things like that. Daddude and I share the same situation - DD wants to “destroy” more than build. She is urged to scatter and mess-up things that are in order and she’s so excited to do it!