Songs for Teaching

I recently ran across this site and thought of you guys. http://www.songsforteaching.com/index.html

I especially liked some of the songs for teaching math and geography. I know my son is memorizing whole songs these days and so some educational ones that go along with the bits I’m teaching him might be really useful, especially the ones on geography and presidents.

Let me know what you think.

These look amazing and may be just what I need for my 10yr. Unfortunatly I didn’t use the Doman method with him and he struggles with math.

Thank you so much for sharing.

NICE…thank you!

Awesome! :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing!!

Great! Thanks for sharing.

I have the CD that teaches US States and Capitals. I really like that song. My kids learned the states and capitals easily. My baby learned them from hearing the older children singing. The other songs on that disk are fair.

Great website! Thank you for sharing. I have actually created sons to teach my daughter body parts, numbers, affirmations about herself, but this side would be so helpful for more complicated themes.

jaluitgirl,

I can’t give karma yet, but I owe you one. I’ll be back to give you some good karma lol

There’s also www.audiomemory.com and wwwsingnlearn.com

Has anybody actually bought some products from these websites? If so, which ones did you get and how good they were?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

On the songs for teaching website, if you click on the album some of the songs are highlighted so you can hear a sample of the song. I listened to several of the math ones and really liked them. I was actually pleasantly surprised. You have the option of buying the CD or just downloading the entire album. You don’t have to buy the albums either you can just download certain songs for a fee. This might be a better way, say if you were working on a certain set of encyclopedic knowledge, say the countries of Africa and so you might just download the song on Africa instead of the entire CD for the world.

that’s awesome. thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

Good day everyone!
Thanks for sharing those websites, I will visit it,singing is a good break for the kids after some lessons.

I was listening to one of the tracks in Mandarin and they speak in English and then in Mandarin. Does anyone know if it is better to have your child listen to songs that do not mix the languages? In the DVD for parents of the YBCR series someone asked Dr. Titzer about second languages and he said is key not to mix the languages. Pints of view??? :wub:

Joha,

Is it the parent workshop by Dr. Titzer that you are referring to? If so, did you find it informative? I have been curious about it lately.

Thanks!

www.singnlearn.com have fast response to emails and are the only ones, including ebay, that dont insist you buy geography songs and states and capitals as a kit (includes book and map), which is good for overseas people who just want the cd to save on postage. Havent bought yet.

Do let us know if and when you choose to buy Nikita, we’d love to hear about your review of the singnlearn product. :yes: I’m sure all the parents here will appreciate a review as well!

Also, thanks for the resource jaluitgirl! :happy:

Hi Joha,

I think I can answer your question about mixing languages. (I have a masters in applied linguistics, have learned 5 languages (not all fluently) and teach English as a second language) I loved Dr. Titzer’s workshop on the DVD and I agreed with him on so many things and it made a lot of sense meaning it gels with the research in language acquisition. Anyhow…
What I believe he was referring to is when a person or a family is bilingual and they mix the 2 languages together in one sentence. So that you say something like “Do you want to Tutu?” (tutu meaning take a bath in Marshallese) Or “Socks bogey” (Bogey meaning get your in Marshallese) So here you have vocabulary mixed with the grammar of another language. The result is that the child does not become proficient in either language.

But to sing a song in Mandarin and then sing the song again in English the second time - that’s fine. Or even sing one verse in Mandarin and one in English. BUT don’t mix the 2 in the same sentence or start off in Mandarin and then start mixing English words into the sentence.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn’t and I’ll try to explain better.

I learned English first, but from 3 months old was exposed to Bislama (pidgin), the native language of Vanuatu. I know by age 5 I spoke it fluently, but I would cross over between English and Bislama, or speak in English with a pidgin English accent, around people speaking pidgin. I dont believe it has harmed my English in any way, and although I intertwined the 2 languages I knew which language I was speaking at all times.