'Slow' teaching

When my brother was 18m, my mother was inspired by Glen Doman to teach him how to read. She would sit in front and slowly show him words. From what I can recall, he was sight reading around 6 months later and started reading sentences independantly at 3 1/2.
My mother never ‘flashed’ anything. Aside from showing him words, they were reading many pictures books to build his vocabulary and he was often on the computer from age 2 with softwares aimed at older kids.

As I’m trying to understand the whole right/left brain theory, my question is:
why show material quickly? What are the added benefits? (aside from being able to introduce the child to a lot more things in a shorter time?)

From what I recall from the Doman method, you need to show the material quickly in order to stimulate his capacity of retaining information, but even moree important, in order not to get your child bored. It seems in fact that they do not really need to much time to retain the information and if you don’t show your material fast enough they will get bored and loose attention. You also need to shaffle your material so that it doesn’t became something predictible to your child still in order not to make him bored. :clown:

The right brain is activated by fast flashing. It is more like photographic memory. It only needs to see something for a fraction of a second in order to remember it. Babies and young children are naturally more right-brained. They learn better by fast flashing and get bored when it is too slow.