Sling the baby: Do you wear this technique?

Dear parents,

I read an article about the importance of sling the baby. The first point is that the baby can be very near the mom´s body or dad´s body. Second point is that the parents back and arms don´t hurt so much. They said that 54% of the babies cry less at night and 43% during the day, the colics can reduce, the baby can look the world around him and others benefits, when they are in a sling.Here where I live we don´t have the costume to wear it but I´d like to know if in your country you wear and what is your opinion about it.

Another point is that the baby with 10% of thw mother´s weight can be slinged.

The article I found is in Portuguese at:www.guiadobebe.uol.com.br

Babywearing is great, – wonderful for the baby, for mommy, easy and safe. You can even make your own slings, there are different ones, and they work for different ages and for different parent/baby preferences. We used 4 different ones and super happy we learned about babywearing early on. It also helps bonding and you can teach so many things to your baby while doing other things!

Baby wearing safety guidlines: Baby should be close enough to kiss. Baby should never have his chin resting on his chest. Baby’s head should be above the rest of her body. Baby’s knees should be higher than his butt. Baby’s face shouldn’t be covered by fabric. Baby’s head should be supported.

If you are interested in making your own sling/baby carrier, let me know and I will look for the links I had to DIY instructions.

You would never regret having that special time with your little one…

I found out about wrapping and slings a little to late, but for the short time I did baby wear I used this and it was great http://www.peapodcreations.ca/

Waterdreamer,

I visited the website but there isn´t any reseller here where I live in. Thanks for helping.

Skylark,

If you have instructions how to make one, it would be a pleasure to know it. Thanks for helping.

Mari.

The sling worked for us until my daughter was 5 weeks. Then she had a real phobia for it and would refuse it by screaming and wriggling as soon as we’d try to put her in.
So I tried one of those long strechy pieces of fabric which you tie on your back and neck (if i recall right) and the baby is facing you. That was fine until 5 months. No luck afterwards (plus she was a very big baby so i could not last long!)

I used a Cuddle Wrap. It’s not a sling, but it was a lifesaver for me and my very, very, very fussy baby. I’d recommend it to EVERYONE! It looks tricky to put on, but once you do it once or twice you could do it in your sleep (which is helpful because I was pretty much in a daze those first months anyway! Did I mention I had a fussy baby?) I felt that he was so safe in it and hit held him very close to my heart - which he needed to stay calm.

Have you looked on ebay? Where abouts are you?

I practiced baby wearing with my first son until he was two. Now that we have no. 2, I’m doing it again. I have used slings, wraps, and structured carriers (Scootababy, Ergo, and Bjorn). My boys are heavy weights so I find the Ergo and Scootababy to work best for me because it transfers most of my son’s weight to my hips.

I honestly don’t know what I would have done without it. Baby wearing allows me to keep my youngest close to me while I attend to my older boy.

Personally, I’m offended by the term ‘babywearing’. As if your infant is a fashion accessory, a handbag? Sounds petty, but to me it really shows a common, fundamental lack of respect for this human being.

I’d rather go naked than ‘wear’ baby…

Peace