Site for visual algebra?

While reading one of the posts about math I went to a site that was listed for visual algebra. I spoke to a friend about it and now can’t find that web site. Help

To answer my own question here is the site. I guess I found it from another site or maybe from You Tube.

http://www.borenson.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFAWMW_Aztg

Have any of you used this? I wish thye used this when I was in school.

Tlyoung-
I think you might be referring to discussions on the following thread:
http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/math-supplement-for-advanced-3-year-old-(almost-4)/msg88906/?topicseen#new

Some of the best visual algebra sites I have found for young kids are on the following:
Hands on Equations here… ( they have an app as well)

http://www.borenson.com/.

And:
http://www.algebra4children.com/games.html

In addition, take a look at the Dragonbox+ apps in ITunes if possible.

I wasn’t very impressed by that video.

What’s the deal in telling a child that for 3x + 1 = 2x + 4, you simply group the x’s together and then the constants together so you end up with 3x - 2x = 4 -1 so that the answer becomes x = 3. Standard algorithms, that’s the thing I like. Simple and straightforward, and less-time consuming too.

Nadia0801 has used the standard algorithm method with her 3 year old. This is what she said on the maths supplement for advanced 3 year old'' thread: As of now (LO is 3 years, 10months old), she can mentally solve simple equations such as 4x+3=3x+9 and even some that involves multiplication like 3(3x+1)=2x+1. We combine adjectives and properties to numbers like "those jiggly numbers with letters need to group together and those red-hot plain numbers must stay close with their own kind, any of them who crosses to the other side of equation will shiver and have the opposite value!) It sounds silly that why it sticks on her. ‘’
I think that’s easier, faster, and better.

Maybe others could chime in.

Nee,

I’m not sure where you are located but in the US 4th graders don’t do Algebra. 9th graders here can barely do Algebra. I did look at the exit tests for this program and it seemed that it is very basic Algebra. I suspect that it is perfect for visual learners that are 3-8. I like using manipulatives for math even as the children get older - it makes things that are abstract concrete. MEP uses manipulatives all though the curriculum. The abacus is a manipulative. Anzan is a mental manipulative. And let’s say you are a parent who did not get a good education (can I get an amen!) then this will help you and your child. If your child is an auditory learner then this probably won’t be a good fit. If your child is a visual learner I think this would be every helpful. I suspect if the parent had a decent grasp of Algebra, this can be done with objects at home, different colored marshmallows, lego people, Milk jug caps and magnetic numbers.

I would have to agree with Sonya regarding the use of manipulatives. But this is mostly because I have a daughter who insists on knowing WHY? for everything I teach her. When she was barely 2, she wanted to know why 8+5=13. We were doing Jones Geniuses then and she was not contented with the explanation that because that’s what the dot matrix says. I had to demonstrate it several times using the abacus, M&Ms, toy animals, etc. before she was satisfied. When she was 3 and I had just started teaching her the times tables, she HAD to know why 6x8=48. For algebra, if I had simply told her that the x’s must be grouped together and the constants together and any of them that goes over to the other side will change their sign, she will definitely not let it go at that. It was much easier for me to demonstrate, using lego people and a balance similar to that used in HoE, that because there is an equal sign in the middle, whatever you do to one side you should also do to the other to keep the equation “balanced” and equal. After only a couple of demonstrations, she was able to make the mental jump from concrete → pictorial → abstract by herself and was able to start solving pretty complex algebra equations without manipulatives. The use of manipulatives did not hamper her progress in any way, but instead helped her to become more engaged in the learning process because she understood the why for everything I was telling her right from the beginning.

:smiley:

P.S. It does get pretty exhausting trying to answer all the why’s though!

I am only now realizing that my DS learn best by touching things, tactile leaner. Once we get to algebra this might be what he needs. Best of all a freind might buy this for her 1st grader so I can see how they do with it.

My daughter’s favorite way for math is online worksheets. Her teacher sent us to this site beestar. The math program is full of all real life word problems, challenging stuff to help kids thinking. She’d rather do 9 hours of beestar than watch 1 minute of t.v. I’m so haapy. I think it is a well-and easy used program.
Lisa