Singapore Math

What can you guys tell me about Singapore Math? I’ve heard good things and bad things. I tried Math U See, it was good till the end. Then I bought Jones Geniuses, but I’m not sure I’m feeling it. I plan on still going with it but I’m still keeping my options open.

Have you read DadDude’s detailed review of Singapore Math (Earlybird Kindergarten level): http://forum.brillkids.com/teaching-your-child-math/review-of-(singapore)-earlybird-kindergarten-math/

I don’t think I can do a better job at reviewing it than he did :biggrin: except to tell you that I have been doing both Singapore Math and Jones Geniuses with Ella. I think they complement each other rather well and emphasize different aspects of learning math - at least at the kindergarten level. Your son may already be beyond the Earlybird level in Singapore Math though and I haven’t seen the next level book yet to be able to comment on it.

Yes I did read that review. Thats what peaked my interest. However we have already nearly completed Math U See Kindergarten. Plus my son and I have been doing IXL math for the last week and have already completed 25% of the kindergarten curriculum. I think we are going to be read for grade one material around Christmas. I haven’t given up on the Jones Math at all, but until I get comfortable with it and get other the lack of workbooks, I feel I need more in this area.(I use how much we have completed in a workbook to gauge how we are doing with the program, it might be silly, but I feel better seeing the workbook get smaller as I take out the pages for him to complete. It makes me feel like we are accomplishing something.) I found a site that offers the whole set,http://www.lovetolearn.net/catalog/detail/singapore%20math/2 including shipping to Canada for $66. I email our local store to see how much it would be to get it through them. And then I’ll take it from there.
But I’m glad to hear its working for you. Have you heard much about it lacking in some areas. I hear on one it is an amazing program and then on the other hand from someone else it has some holes in it.

We’re still dabbling a bit and have not launched full steam ahead with the math, but I do plan to run another math program alongside of JG,maybe alternating every other day, so I am interested to hear the responses as well. I make a point never to put all my eggs in one basket when it comes to my kids education.